Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Another reason I hate smokers.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2006-10-26 10:01 PM
in reply to: #579561

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Subject: RE: Another reason I hate smokers....
ANd the additional health costs that we all incur due to poor eating habits should be stopped because people do not HAVE to eat Transfat and 40 cups of sugar a day. Then we outlaw the use of cellphones while driving and they account for 1.3% of accidents and yet we let people eat and change radio stations which account for about 10% of accidents.

2006-10-27 8:44 AM
in reply to: #580547

User image

Elite
run joe run - 2006-10-26 8:10 PM
oipolloi - 2006-10-26 9:38 AM

Last night on the way home from work while riding through a neighborhood a car passed me and the driver flung a cigarette out of the window.  The car then pulled into his driveway and stopped.  I quickly stopped and grabbed the lit cigarette and proceeded to ride into his driveway and fling the cigarette back towards him saying...."Here, I think you dropped something."  The guy just stood there with a dazed look on his face.

My right to live with clean air supersedes a smokers right to smoke.

AWESOME!!!  FREAKING AWESOME!!!

Thanks for bringing this thread back to the OT (original topic).

-bump-

2006-10-27 9:10 AM
in reply to: #580339

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Renee - 2006-10-26 4:05 PM
trigods - 2006-10-26 4:04 PM

I am saying let the market make the rule not government....

Fock the market. The market doesn't give a ratsass about us. The market only cares about the money we have in our wallet and finding every way to squeeze every penny out of it. I didn't elect the market. The market doesn't protect my rights, nor does it CARE about my rights. The market would put arsenic in my Wheaties if it thought it could turn a profit doing so.

The government, on the other hand, is SUPPOSED to regulate. We elect politicians to pass laws and rules we want. We don't have to live at the un-tender mercies of "the market."

The market be damned. Government is SUPPOSED to make rules.

Actually the government is here to do what the private market is unable or unwilling to do i.e. build roads, finance schools, pay farmers to not grow certain crops, stick poor people in one convientent place so they can be targets for lazy drug dealers and thugs (project housing), and finance the military.

2006-10-27 9:12 AM
in reply to: #580323

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Cool...so you wouldn't mind me saying that your HOT!...LOL.. sorry didn't mean to Hijack the thread...

Hmmm I thought gay men were usually known for good taste.... You must have missed that gene, but thanks anyway...

2006-10-27 1:27 PM
in reply to: #579630

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

I smoked for 19 years ... and it wasn't Philip Morris, RJR or even a cartoon camel that made me do it - it was my own stupidity.

Quiting absolutely sucked and was one of the more difficult things I have had to ... but no one made me do that either (although wifey was as supportive as could be through the process ).

Point being, the responsibility for making the decision to smoke lies with the smoker, not some far remote company. As soon as people accept responsibility then they can start thinking about who is responsibile for quitting ...  

tmwelshy - 2006-10-26 11:07 AM

Still, I wonder why you all don't rail against the companies the produce this crap instead of some poor bastard holding his hand out of the windows so he doesn't smell like a complete ashtray.

2006-10-27 1:53 PM
in reply to: #581277

User image

molto veloce mama
i don't disagree with you about personal accountability, but the tobacco companies misled the public about the product that they were selling. and, being that it is an addictive product, once many smokers knew the health risks, they were already hooked. when my grandfather started smoking in the 20s, it was thought to be GOOD for you! now, starting to smoke NOW - that's different. there is endless proof of the health risks - warnings on every pack.

anyway, the justice department and almost every judge who has ever heard a tobacco case would disagree with your assessment that the industry bears no responsibility:

"The Justice Department is suing the tobacco industry for $280 billion for allegedly conspiring to mislead the public about the dangers of smoking. The biggest civil racketeering case in U.S. history"

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=3928531

more here:

http://www.tobacco.org/News/settlementresources.html

and i LOVE this quote:

Q: Could you please explain the recent historic tobacco settlement?

A: Sure. Basically, the tobacco industry has admitted that it is killing people by the millions, and has agreed that from now on it will do this under the strict supervision of the federal government.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Another reason I hate smokers.... Rss Feed  

of 5