General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Overuse Injury? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-27 10:48 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Subject: Overuse Injury?
I have been increasing my running distance by 10% per week for the last 5 weeks and have now developed pain in both claves. The pain is located in the muscle on the inside front near the shin and also just above the Achilles tendon. Does this sound like an overuse injury? And what should I do about it other than take it easy for the next few runs? I can not afford to take any real time off as I am preparing for my first half marathon in January. But I also can not afford a lasting injury.

2006-10-28 9:51 PM
in reply to: #581020

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Overuse Injury?
I'm not a doctor or anything close, but I've had what you have, and I thought they are shin splints. And I do think they are overuse injuries, not so much the 10% rule but maybe your frequency. Maybe you should throw in some biking or elliptical or treadmill to sometimes give your shins/legs a break from all that pounding. I would RICE them and also cut back on the running for a week or so on whatever surface you are running on. In the meantime, I would use the treadmill or elliptical or water running during those two weeks but just for a mile here or there just to maintain while you heal.

The thing with shin splints (if that's what they are) is, if you don't allow them to heal, they will just linger on with you. Mine have lasted a good 3-4 months at it's longest and didn't go away until I RICE for about 1 month laying off running. I used biking and swimming to stay somewhat in shape. When I got back into it, the shin splints were gone and I was somewhat out of speed, but I'll take the trade off to be injury free.

Good luck and maybe someone else will have a better idea.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Overuse Injury? Rss Feed