General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stress Fracture in foot Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-28 5:14 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Subject: Stress Fracture in foot
I have had pain in my left foot for about one month now. It started in my arch during a 20 mile run (at about mile 8) and I continued to run. My arch was very tender for about a week so I cut back on my running and iced the arch. It would be worse in the morning and very sore to the touch. I bought some gel inserts and that seemed to help. I now am experiencing pain on top of my foot just below my toes. My foot is sore in that area to the touch and when I run. It hurts when my foot strikes the ground and when I push off. I had an xray the week I injured my arch and it showed nothing. Then two days I broke down and went to an othorpedists. Again my xray didn't show anything specific so I am having a bone scan but not until Nov 7th. I am planning on doing Kiawah Island Marathon in Dec (my 1st marathon). Will I be ok to just bike/swim until then? I cannot stand to be injured!

I'm icing as much as I can but if it's a stress fracture I am not even sure that's going help? Has anyone else had experience with this injury?

L

2006-10-28 2:37 PM
in reply to: #581796

User image

Georgetown, TX
Subject: RE: Stress Fracture in foot
I had a stress fracture of a metatarsal 5 years ago. Similar experience - I did not trip, fall or anything, it just started hurting during one of my regular runs. When I went for the xray, it was several days after the pain started and nothing showed on the xray. The doctor was a podiatrist; he was convinced based on the physical exam that I had a fracture, so he put me in a Frankestein-like shoe and told me to stop cycling and jogging for 6 weeks. The second xray, taken about 2 weeks after the injury, finally showed the fracture. I actually had more of a crack in the bone rather than a fracture, which is why it did not show up on the xray at first. Once new tissue starts to form in the crack, it will show up on the xray. After 2 weeks the dr let me use a recumbent bike, if I promised to push with my heel and stay off the ball of my foot. After about 5 weeks, I started using an elliptical trainer.

Good luck - I know being injured is miserable.
2006-10-28 4:40 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Miserable is right! And frustrated!
2006-11-02 12:49 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I saw a 30 year old with a stress fracture in his foot today. No injury, just works on his feet all day. (A steelworker, imagine that!). The x-ray looked like a little fluff of cotton right where his pain was...that's the new bone laying down. The fluff will get bigger, then it will smooth out, and in a year, it will look back to normal. Just thought you'd find it itneresting.
2006-11-02 5:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Upstate South Carolina
 I don't see many stress fractures on the arch side of the foot, mostly the lateral foot but it can occur. You may simply have an arch problem (soft tissue). Either way, good time to work on swimming drills and cycling.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stress Fracture in foot Rss Feed