67.4F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 25m 25s
Overall Rank = 332/947
Age Group = 18-24
Age Group Rank = 6/22
Pre-race routine:

Here goes, the story of my first Half-Ironman:

We drove into Tempe on Friday night, getting there at 11pm. The hotel was really nice and we relaxed for a bit after the long drive, getting to bed at around 1am.
I didn't really get a whole lot of sleep cause I had waaaay too much energy. So, saturday morning I decided to ride around a bit and see what the course felt like. I was super excited when I got on my bike and checked my garmin- I was going 22mph on some of those flats- yipee! Around noon I went over and got my packet and checked my bike in, then met up with all the other BTers there. It was great to actually meet everyone! We went to the athletes meeting in the blazing sun, then swam in Tempe town lake. The water was chillier than I expected, but the wetsuit (which I was using for the 2nd time) felt amazing! I practiced getting punched in the head while swimming, which felt awesome.

Later that night we went to dinner with all the BTers and ate lots of pasta- yummy! It was awesome hanging out with so many people before the race, it got me even more excited to race it, and I think Ryan had fun too because we didn't JUST talk about triathlons :)

Sunday morning I got up and started to get ready. I had my usual bagel with cream cheese and coffee and was out the door by 5:20. It was easy to get there since we beat the road closure people and I got into the transition area and painstankingly set up my stuff. Before this point, I was really excited, but now the feeling of overwhelming dread was hitting me. I couldn't believe it was actually time to start my first half ironman. What am I doing here?
Event warmup:

I was so nervous when I got there, I almost couldn't handle it. I dread the swim start so much, I just couldn't wait to get it over with. So to calm myself, I walked around petting other people's dogs and hugging my boyfriend Ryan. That's about it for warm-up.
Swim
  • 37m 13s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was only the third time I'd swam in the rental wetsuit and holy crap does it make a difference! I decided not to start away from the pack like usual, so I was up jostling for position with the other women. I waved to Ryan right before the gun went off, and finally felt calm and ready for what was ahead. When we started, I waited a bit for the first line to not kick me in the face and I was off. There was a lot of washing-machine like thrashing, but I just threw my arms in with the rest of them. Right off the bat I needed to pass the girls I was near, so I did my best to crawl over them, but it sure was tough! I got into a groove breathing every stroke because that was the only way I could keep myself calm. Pretty soon I came up on the girls who started in the wave behind us, and I had to start battling again. Before I knew it, we were rounding the first buouy and I was again, back in the washing machine. After a few good strokes where I really felt like I was lengthing my body I started to come up on some guys doing the breast stroke. The good news was I was fast enough to pass people in the 2nd wave before mine, the bad news was breast stroke = kick in the boob- HARD- he was a big dude. Score one for macho man.

Basically, the whole swim I felt like I was coming up on people I needed to pass, and it felt like a battle the whole time. I thought I swam really well though, and the wetsuit did wonders to preserve my leg strength and keep my body position correct. I didn't forget to turn my hips and even lengthened my stroke more than usual to preserve my energy. I can't wait to ask for a wetsuit for Christmas! The end of the swim involved a bunch of 13yr olds pulling us out of the water and climbing some Giant Steps (cue Coltrane solo here...). After that, I got to experience the wetsuit strippers which were amazing! Thank GOD the worst is over- now on to the fun stuff!! I checked my watch and was amazed to see I had finished under 40min. That gave me a huge confidence boost that lasted a long ways into the bike.
What would you do differently?:

It was a choice between taking a ridiculously long way around the course and losing time that way, or battling it with the 'others' and having to swim over and around people. I think battling through worked out fine. My boob will heal.
Transition 1
  • 03m 38s
Comments:

I wasn't super worried about being really fast so I just made sure I had everything I needed and ran outta there. Luckily I grabbed my chapstick and contact drops.

Move faster.
Bike
  • 2h 57m 53s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.89 mile/hr
Comments:

I was so happy to be on my bike and done swimming that I took off on my bike. The sky was still overcast and the winds were only at 6mph so everything was in our favor! The course was pretty flat and I was going a lot faster than I usually do. My legs felt great and my exertion level felt right on, but whenever I looked at my HR it was hovering around 161. I was really pushing it- good! I kept my pace strong for the first hour and when I looked down at my watch, I had gone 21 miles! There were some parts on the course where barely 2 bikes could fit in the lane, and since we were doing 3 loops of the course, things got really congested with the crazy boys out there. There were some parts where I would've like to pass people, but had to wait my turn. At one point, there was a bad accident and I saw a girl and a guy hit the ground HARD. Eeek. Glad it wasn't me.

The course had some flat stretches and I got to spend a lot of time in the aero bars, but at each turn I had to use the brakes. I cornered one turn too hard and ran over a cone, but luckily I didn't crash. I'm an idiot. The most annoying part of the course was that at the bottom of almost every downhill there was a huge turn, so you really couldn't maximize your speed going down. I would've gone faster at some points, but I was really worried about crashing on those turns and I didn't trust any of the other bikers out there. Better safe than sorry!

For nutrition I was alternating between sipping my aero water bottle and drinking my carb-pro bottles of gatorade. No stomach issues, never got hungry or thirsty. I did however have to pee badly. I was thinking about going on my bike, but I had 2 bottles underneath me- how would I drink those later? I stopped at a port-a-potty and just as I got off my bike, I blinked my eyes and my contact fell out! My contacts have never fallen out in the 13 years I've been wearing them- what the heck?! Luckily, it was on my nose and I was able to put it back in. Since I had taken an extra minute to grab my contact drops in T1 I had that to help as well. Phew, disaster avoided (I'm totally blind without them).
It stayed cloudy the entire ride, and at one point it even started raining- I couldn't believe how lucky we were! Rain in Arizona? Who would've thought!

By the third lap I was getting kind of tired and I consciously slowed down a bit because I was worried about my legs on the run. A lot of people had passed me on the bike so I knew there were a lot of people I needed to catch. Overall though, I was extremely happy with my time and most importantly, my nutrition was right one. I felt great and couldn't wait to run! I was also thrilled because I had my seat adjusted Thursday before the race (I know, I know, stupid) but it was PERFECT because I didn't have a single knee pain the whole ride, which is something I've been battling for a month now. Problem solved.

Get faster on my bike. Learn how to pee on it. Get Lasik surgery so my eyes don't hurt and I don't have to wear contacts.
Transition 2
  • 04m 9s
Comments:

The transition area got bottlenecked so I couldn't get in as fast- some people just aren't in a hurry! I was actually faster at this transition, but than I had to stop and pee. Good thing- I was properly hydrated!

Learn how to take my shoes off on the bike.
Run
  • 1h 42m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

My favorite part! I was suuper worried that I had pushed it too hard on the bike, and I was also worried because on my longest brick I had only gone 7 miles- what if I bonked at 8? Luckily, the clouds were still there and it was almost 'chilly' for Arizona. I started out at my usual brick pace of 8:00min/mi and it felt right. My stomach pretended like it was going to cramp up, but I took some deep breaths and it was all good. My butt, back and legs were so happy to be off that bike that they let me go whatever pace I wanted. There was a tall skinny blonde ahead of me at the start of the run so she was my first target. She was going at my pace, so I picked it up to catch her. Over the first 3 miles I slowly reeled her in and made it by her. My legs still felt great and my pace was doing awesome. I wasn't expecting to feel this good. Since everything was going well I decided to kick it up a bit. I got more people in my sights and spent the entire run on the left, passing people. Only 3 guys passed me the whole time, but they were on their second lap, so obviously kicking some serious butt.

At around mile 6 there was a single track dirt and gravel pathwy that goes out and back. That was the worst part of the run because only one person fits on the pathway and since I was still passing everyone, I had to run on the very rocky part. I had to be super careful not to twist my ankle, and I really think I could've gone faster if it weren't for all the rocks. Oh well, it probably saved my knees.

Right around that time, I started running with this other girl named Bobby. I had passed her, but she kicked it up to run with me, said she liked my pace and I would push her. That was cool. We chatted for a bit and we were both competitive enough that we kept our pace up. It was a welcome distraction because the course was pretty boring. We talked about marathons because she had done Boston and she was telling me how awesome it was going to be. She was super cool! She shared her shot blocks with me and I had 2 of them on the run for my nutrition. I took sips of water and gatorade at the aid stations, and that was it. We passed tons of guys, and most were nice, saying things like "looking good ladies" :) duh!

By the time we got to mile 11, I was getting really excited- I still felt great, I was having an awesome time and it was almost over! I kept trying to pick up my pace, and eventually I lost Bobby, sad. I wanted to finish with her, but I could tell she was fading a bit. I kept running as hard as I could when I saw mile 13 and rounded the final corner. I heard the announcer at the finish and started sprinting. He announced my name as I crossed the finish line- omigod, I just finished my first Half Ironman!!! What an incredible rush!

Considering my 1/2 mary 3 weekends ago was 1:40, I think 1:42 after riding 56 miles constitutes as OK. :)
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around a little bit grabbing some food and found Ryan. He was so proud of me, it felt amazing :) I stretched a little bit, but I was too excited to tell Ryan about the race that I didn't give stretching 100% of my effort.
My head was in the friggin clouds. I couldn't believe that I had crushed my goal by over a half hour! I raced it almost flawlessly and there is hardly anything I would change about the day. Most importantly, I had a ton of fun and would do it all over again in a heartbeat. My first sprint tri ever was in July, and here I was standing at the finishline of a half-ironman smiling away- what in life could possibly be better?!

Most importantly, I want to thank everyone on this amazing website that has supported me with encouraging words and advice through all of my training. I was so happy to meet some of you in Arizona and to those that have supported me from afar, thank you for having confidence in me- it really helped! You all are the best! :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

If I could get faster on my bike than I wouldn't have as many people to pass on the run.

Event comments:

The course is flat and fun, just a little bit boring. It would've been better to make the loops longer and only have 2. Aid stations were great, organization and information was great and the entire atmosphere of the race was really upbeat and exciting.

Last updated: 2006-08-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:13 | 2112 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/22
Overall: 307/947
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra sleevless
Course: Swim under 2 bridges to the buouy, turn left, swim about 50yds to another buouy, turn left again, swim to anouther buouy, turn left, and turn right at the final buouy before getting pulled up the stairs.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:38
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:57:53 | 56 miles | 18.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/22
Overall: 533/947
Avg:159, Max: 175 (highest HR EVER on the bike for me!)
Wind: Some
Course: 3 laps through the town of Tempe. Tons of turns, and a few sharp u-turns. Course was narrow in some parts. Weird course, pretty darn boring.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:42:33 | 13.1 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/22
Overall: 149/947
170- watch out heart! It didn't feel that high!
Course: 2 laps around the lake. Some of it was on the sidewalk, some was on gravel off-road stuff. At one point it was singletrack out and back with some bigger rocks on the side.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-30 12:15 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: Soma Triathlon

2006-10-30 12:27 PM
in reply to: #583023

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Soma Triathlon
Wow, it sounds like you had a great time and you did so well! You must be very proud of yourself going from no races to HIM in 4 months. Unbelievable! You rock!
2006-10-30 12:45 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Congrats! What a race. Coming in 6th on your first Half! You'll be winning these things in no time.
2006-10-30 12:53 PM

User image

Mesa
Great Job Alaina! You did great. You even beat my run time by 5 minutes and my swim by 8 minutes.

I can't believe you want to learn how to pee on your seat. Maybe you can grab your water bottles and spell relief. LOL
2006-10-30 1:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Great race and report! Way to go! Are you going to sign up for the Oceanside Half in March now? You should! It was great to meet you and Ryan, it is nice that he is so supportive and willing to cruise out to the events with you. You better be extra nice to him this week!

Congratulations!

Mike
2006-10-30 1:13 PM

User image

Expert

WOW! Awesome race.  Sounds like you hit everything right on the head. Perfect!  Excellent Half-Ironman Debut!

Congrats! 

2006-10-30 1:23 PM

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Awesome race. You were so ready. Your report made me wish I was there racing!

LASIK Baby!!!! I just had the initial consultation and will be doing it this month.

Gotta do the California 70.3. You are definitely a top age grouper.

Congrats and thanks for the inspiring RR.

Cheers
2006-10-30 1:27 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

AWESOME RACE!!! Great RR, thanks.

Nice job mixing it up in the swim. That's really hard for a lot of people who aren't used to open water races. And I'd say you just kicked some a$$ on the bike and run. Awesome!!

What's next??

2006-10-30 1:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
East Aurora, NY

Congrats!  Great race report.  Your half-mary time after teh bike was excellent!  I also picked up a good pointer....contact drops.  I will have to keep them in my underseat bag just in case. 

Now go have a beer or two..you earned it!

2006-10-30 1:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
Great race report!  I can recommend Lasik, you won't regret it.
2006-10-30 2:16 PM

User image

Bryan,
congratulations on your first HIM. Those are some very impressive time splits.

2006-10-30 3:16 PM

Regular
San Luis Obispo, CA
Great job! Loved your race report. You've got me inspired to do a half in 2007!
2006-10-30 3:27 PM
in reply to: #583364

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Great race Alaina! Very nice run too. Running 1:40 fresh and then 1:42 off the bike is very sweet!
2006-10-30 4:02 PM

Albuquerque, NM

Congratulations!  You beat me by a minute!  You did great and it was awesome meeting you too.  Keep up the good work and before you know it you'll be placing high up on these big races. 

Mike 

2006-10-30 4:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Great race! Sounds like you had a great time and posted great times to boot...I will certainly have SOMA on my calendar for next year and hope to put up splits close to these!
2006-10-30 4:54 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Congrats on a great race, girl! It was good to meet you and Ryan. And the pizza cookie was awesome! We'll have to remember that if we go to that restaurant again.

Good luck in your future races!

2006-10-30 6:45 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX

Congrats on a great race and RR.  You smashed your 6 hour goal with room to spare.

I'm with you on those bike accidents. Better to be safe than sorry. I saw several people out of our race with accidents and bike problems. Scary stuff if you're not careful.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by jkron 2006-10-30 6:48 PM
2006-10-30 7:39 PM

PHOENIX AZ
Alaina..I wished I would have met you. I loved your race report..
I am pissed you grabbed my ankles though..how low can you get girl......
cb
2006-10-30 8:16 PM

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Great race and great race report! Congratulations, you are so TOTALLY my hero!
2006-10-30 8:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Great Job!!! You are a super stud. I wish I had half your speed on the run. It was really nice meeting you and look forward to reading more race reports.
2006-10-30 8:56 PM
in reply to: #583661

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
charliebrown - 2006-10-30 7:39 PM

Alaina..I wished I would have met you. I loved your race report..
I am pissed you grabbed my ankles though..how low can you get girl......
cb

Was that you out there? Sorry if I pulled too hard

2006-10-31 7:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO

FIVE TWENTY FIVE? Oh my gawd! Girl, you kicked soooo much . It feels amazing, doens't it? Congrats on a job well done.

ps: your running is unhuman. what a pace!

2006-10-31 8:58 AM

Master
Boston
Wow- it was great to read your RR, 12 days before my first HIM. Very inspiring! ALthough, I don't expect my time to be anywhere NEAR yours. You are so freaking fast!! When are you going to do an ironman now?
2006-10-31 1:59 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

Congratulations on your accomplishment.  It was fun following your training efforts, and then watching you reap what you sowed.  That showed a lot of deterimination and heart. I look forward to your next big adventure, too, whatever that might be.

Cheers!

~B

2006-11-01 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

What a great race! Incredible times in all three disciplines; geez, a smoking fast run. What an effort for your first HIM.

Congratulations!

Bill

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Soma Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 2