General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First event off the couch - injury problems Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-05 4:59 AM

New user

Subject: First event off the couch - injury problems
I came 'off-the-couch' about 9 or 10 weeks ago. I've been doing a program to get me ready for a short aquathlon (400m swim 5k run) on the 26th of this month. I started experiencing a bit of pain after long (for me) runs a couple of weeks ago, and I've been struggling with pain after every run since. I finally managed to get my wife (who's a physio) to give me some sympathy and got her to look at it. She instantly diagnosed it as Achilles Tendonitis.

Now, my question is, with exactly 3 weeks to go until my first event, what should I be doing? Should I carry on with short runs? Complete ban on running with an emphasis on swimming? Take a week off running?? Help!

Tim

2006-11-05 6:49 AM
in reply to: #589271

User image

Regular
New York,
Subject: RE: First event off the couch - injury problems

Like you I have just started running...swimming soon...

I had the same problem occur. Went too many miles too soon...

I have not run in two weeks just to let it heal. Only doing eliptical in the gym.

I have received alot of advice saying to lay off the running for awhile, ice and some advil/aleve 

My guess would be that if you are accustomed to running 5k already you wont have a problem completing the distance if you are also well rested.

Personally, I would not run and do another exercise to keep my legs strong for race day.

Also, I have had some great advice from other BTers stating that Chi Running or Explosive running can help prevent this type and other running injuries from happening again. I have yet to try either method out so I cannot give you my opinion on them. 

2006-11-05 8:54 AM

User image

Champion

Some good advice already.  I have battled achilles tendonitis a lot too.  I see that your last 3 weeks, the runs are short - around 20minutes.  You mentioned that the pain is only on the long runs correct?  Take at least a week of rest-even two with ice and ibuprofen.  The second to the last or the last week, do the run/walk method-keep it easy and short to see how it is.  Do the run/walk in your race too.

2006-11-05 1:53 PM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
I got tendonitis in my foot following my first race 4 weeks ago.  I tried running on it, but it seemed to make it worse.  I stopped running for about 10 days and then eased slowly back into running by doing run/walk intervals with at least 2  days in between runs.   After a couple weeks of run/walks my foot was feeling great.  I had my second race yesterday and beat my run time from my first race by 3 minutes!    So, I would take a week off and see how it feels.  Don't push it on your runs until your race.   Use the off time to improve your swim. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First event off the couch - injury problems Rss Feed