General Discussion Race Reports! » Treasure Island Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Treasure Island Triathlon - Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Francisco, California
United States
TriCalifornia
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 55m 59s
Overall Rank = 476/496
Age Group = W 35-39
Age Group Rank = 36/38
Pre-race routine:

I don't have a pre-race routine, yet. This was my second race, the first was a year and a half ago.
Event warmup:

I stood around and panicked a lot.
Swim
  • 20m 3s
  • 546 yards
  • 03m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a real eye opener for me. At about 6 minutes to wave start they left my wave into the water. I decided to step in at about 3 minutes thinking it was long enough to get a little warmed up but short enough that I wasn't going to be tired before the horn goes off. With my longjohn suit, the water was FREEZING to me. I mean, hyperventilat-y, terrified, freezing. I couldn't handle it so I swam back to the steps and got out. I was standing there like an idiot wondering how I was going to explain a DNS when the announcer said "ok 35-39 ladies, it's your turn...10-9-8-..." and I though "Oh, Mother Effer" and when he hit "3" or so, I dove in and swam to the group. I got about 25 yards before I was freaking out again and I had to hang on to a kayak. All in all, I had to hang on to three kayaks in 500 yards. How embarrassing. But the workers were awesome, so helpful, so encouraging. I was just so cold I couldn't catch my breath. Navigation was easy, though given my face was in the water for about 2 of the 20 minutes I was out there. At the end of the swim, the voluteers helped to yank you out of the water. I had a rough time getting my legs underneath me, but I managed. I shudder to see that piece of photographic evidence.
What would you do differently?:

I SERIOUSLY need more OWS practice. This distance is a piece of cake in the pool but I almost killed myself a few times in the Bay.
Transition 1
  • 07m 36s
Comments:

I didn't plan my transition very well. After my wetsuit was off I stared at it for a minute wondering "now what?". I don't mind the slow transition, though. I'm not racing, just surviving.
Bike
  • 49m 51s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 14.96 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 03m 37s
Comments:

Yey for Yankz! I swear they saved me a minute on my transition. Again, I wasn't well prepared. I had to dig for some food and my hat in my bag.
Run
  • 34m 52s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

I PR'd my run, which is exciting. I'm not a great runner, as you can see, but this was pretty dang good for moi. Thankfully, my Ironteam teammate Charles, who raced the Olympic yesterday and the Sprint today, found me to help run me in for a few yards. It was a really nice distraction from the hell of being undertrained and unsupported on the course.
Post race
Event comments:

I really was undertrained. I have only been training "full time" since October 10th (or 9th?) and I feel really good about my performance in the face of that. Looking forward to a lot more training and practice!!!

Last updated: 2006-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:03 | 546 yards | 03m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/38
Overall: 0/496
Performance: Bad
Suit: Ironman Instict Longjohn
Course: It was a triangle. pretty easy to follow.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:36
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:51 | 12.43 miles | 14.96 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: This was a three lap FLAT circuit of Treasure Island. A lot of people had mentioned to me that there are so many turns it is like a dangerous crit race, but the roads were wide and since I was so far behind, I was alone on the road a lot. I found it to be a very pleasant 12+ mile ride except for the rough road.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:37
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:52 | 03.1 miles | 11m 15s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: One loop on some of the same streets as the bike. Again, flat, flat flat and wholly enjoyable. Except for the brief stench of what seemed to be a sewage treatment plant. Which we got to pass twice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes