General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marking progress - or lack of progress Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-11 11:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Subject: Marking progress - or lack of progress
I started playing this game about a year ago. Last fall I did the sprint 16 week 2X training plan, which at the time seemed tough. Then in then in the spring, I did the olympic 16 week 2X training plan. I'll admit that I eventually dropped the swim (I hate swimming) and turned the running in to trail running. Still, I did the times. Now, I'm in my third month of the sprint 16 week 2X training again, planning the same transition to olympic. This time around the sprint seems relatively easy.

Before I started last year, I got a Suunto T6 HRM and captured a baseline. I ran on a treamill at 6.0 MPH and 2% incline for 30 minutes (5 minute warm up/cool down). I loaded this into the software and saved it for future comparisons. I did this again in December of last year and my heart rate had dropped for the duration of the check. Today, I did the same again, but now my heart rate is actuall HIGHER throughout the test!! And, I still have the cardiac drift throughout. See the attached picture.

On to my questions:

I anticipate the fluctuation up/down in heart rate throughout is not unusual and is probably related to the specific machine I was on, how well recovered I am on that day, the phase of the moon, and whether I was watching the news or cartoons. Random variation. But shouldn't I have seen an improvement over a year??

My resting heart rate before i started was around 65 and now it is down to 50-55. Definite improvement, but why am I not seeing gains in the event test?

What does it take for the cardiac drift to disappear? I expect this at first as I was new to aerobic training, but now, a year later, it is still there.

I feel like I've wasted my time and effort.

-Kirk

Edited by KirkD 2006-11-11 11:26 AM

(HRM.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
HRM.jpg (46KB - 23 downloads)

2006-11-11 2:04 PM
in reply to: #596555

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Subject: RE: Marking progress - or lack of progress
2006-11-11 2:17 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
you have nothing on your logs, hence it is very difficult to say why is that... can you provide more info. How many hrs a week do you train? how many runs? what type (intensity-wise)? did you take a break? have you been training more or less since the last test? have your weight changed?
2006-11-11 3:50 PM
in reply to: #596641

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
As I mentioned, last fall I did the sprint 16 week 2X training plan that you can find in the training plans section here on BT. This ran from around September until December. January and February I did mostly maintenance work by repeating a portion of the spring training plan. Then, starting in March, I did the olympic 2X training plan also from this site - that was from March to the end of June. July, and August I cut back and ran or biked 3X per week for about 30 minutes per session. Now, I'm in the 3rd month of the sprint 2X training plan again.

I followed the plans very closely except that I dropped the swim last year on the olympic plan, but I did the run and bike as written. I have started the swim again over the past 3 months. The times are listed on the training plans, but the spring plan starts around 2 hours per week and moves up to 4 hours per week. The olympic starts at 4 hours and moves up to 8 per week.

During the bike, I usually keep my heart rate around 130-140 for the duration. The run tends to range quite a bit more, but is typically around 140-170, depending on how I feel and where I'm running.

As for my weight, I've stayed about the same. I haven't taken any long layoffs - I stay active year round. :
2006-11-11 3:50 PM

Master

What does it take for the cardiac drift to disappear? I expect this at first as I was new to aerobic training, but now, a year later, it is still there.

The way I understand it, cardiac drift will always happen. But what it is, is a sign of dehydration or just an increase in core temperature. This has to do with Venous Return. There could be a decrease in plasma volume, or just the redistribution of the blood to the skin for cooling. Bottom line, there isn't as much blood getting back into the right artrium of the heart, therefore a decrease in the Stroke Volume. To maintain the same level of Cardiac Output the body compencates with an increase in HR.

Don't say that you've wasted your time and effort. The others will chime in here but I don't think that actual HR during exercise has much to do anything (outside of intensity). There are to many factors to count on. Where you stressed? Was it warmer? Were you properly hydrated? Were you sick?

You haven't wasted your time and effort. Your RHR has dropped, a sign of increased fitness. Think, do you think the sprint plan was "relativly easy" when you started it a year ago?

2006-11-11 4:04 PM
in reply to: #596675

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Thanks for the reply and the explanation on cardiac drift. I was assuming it should decrease according to this article here on BT - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Looking at the graph, my take is that the three different tests are essentially the same. There is some random variation among them which is likely due to some factor, as you mentioned. Maybe I was dehydrated, different temperature, tired from yesterday's bike, different treadmill, etc. All in all, I see the three graphs as being equivalent, but I expected that after over a year of training I would have a lowered heart rate for the same level of exertion - that's why I specifically used 6 MPH and 2.0% grade. Is this not the case, or are my expectations too high?

You are absolutely right about the perceived exertion this year vs. last. Last year I was amazed I could make the 30 minutes at a constant pace. This year 30 minutes seems like just another day at the gym.

-kirk

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marking progress - or lack of progress Rss Feed