General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need a nutrition plan! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-12 12:26 PM

Subject: Need a nutrition plan!
Hi all!

I've never been terrible at healthy eating, but I know this just isn't going to cut it for training for a triathlon! All I did last week was some strength training and swimming and by Saturday I was about dead! I ended up falling asleep on the couch right after I got off work @ 7:30pm! I finally got in bed at about 1am, then didn't get up until 9:30am this morning! Not good at all! I know I need to get more sleep throughout the week since I'm only getting 6 hours max and closer to 4 minimum. I know how to fix that problem, but I don't know what I should be eating, when I should eat, ratio of protein, carbs, fats, etc. Is there a good website with an example eating plan that I could start out on? If not, any suggestions for books? The thing that is really confusing me is that I've only really ever made eating plans to lose weight, and not as fuel for my body! I do need to lose weight, currently 5'3" and 167 lbs as of last Wednesday. I'll weigh again this coming wednesday. One thing that usually makes eating plans difficult for me is that I'm a college student with little time. (money, too!) I don't want to spend 2 hours making supper! I also am making it just for me, so stuff that reheats well is a plus.

Thanks for any help/advise!

Rachel

2006-11-12 5:51 PM
in reply to: #597039

User image

Subject: RE: Need a nutrition plan!

I was recomended this book by a friend and after reading cover to cover I highly recomend it also. Chris Carmichael is Lance Armstrongs trainer. Heres a link to Amazon where you can pick it up used for a couple bucks. lost 40 lbs after reading this book and eat far healthier now.

http://www.amazon.com/Chris-Carmichaels-Food-Fitness-Carmichael/dp/039915194X

I also have the recipe compaion guide 'fitness cookbook". lots of great recipes for the different seasons an athlete goes through.

Edited by JungleJim 2006-11-12 5:53 PM
2006-11-12 11:03 PM

Extreme Veteran
Reston, VA

I don't really have any suggestions, just wanted to comiserate with the difficulty of finding healthy alternatives to the standard college fare.  I'll be interested to see what kind of suggestions you get.

Oh, and welcome to BT!  

2006-11-13 2:34 PM

Master
Colorado

I'm a big fan of Dr. John Berardi.  His stuff really emphasizes the need to not "go on a diet", but change the way you think about eating in general.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/system.html

2006-11-13 2:45 PM

User image

Runner
There's also Nancy Clark's "Sports Nutrition Guidebook", and "Food for Marathoners". Both are pretty good, and easy to read.

Beyond all that, your tiredness could be from a couple different reasons, beyond diet. As you mentioned, sleep is one of them. Also, it could be an adjustment to a new regimen in terms of workouts, waking and sleeping.
2006-11-14 1:43 AM

Thanks for the tips!

I just ordered Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes from Amazon, so hopefully will get on the way!

Thanks again!

Rachel

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need a nutrition plan! Rss Feed