General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight loss & meal plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-13 7:20 PM

Subject: Weight loss & meal plan
For those of you who have successfully lost weight while training for triathlon--what do you eat on a typical day? Honestly, I'm not really creative in my dining and am looking for some ideas...

2006-11-17 9:04 AM
in reply to: #598183

User image

Expert
The High Plains
Subject: RE: Weight loss & meal plan

I'll give you my standards (NOTE: I do not eat each of these at every meal) -

Breakfast -

• 2pkgs instant oatmeal (280 cal)
  • Toast and Peanut Butter (1 slice + .5 serving = 110)

Snack -

• Harvest Bar (250)
  • Whole Wheat Bagel (300)

Lunch -

• Peanut butter and honey sandwich (210) with reduced fat triscuits (140), baby carrots (50), a few slices of low-fat Jalapeno jack cheese with my triscuits (160), and 4 squares Dark Chocolate for dessert (or snack later on) (200)

Dinner -

• Red Beans and Rice (270 - Glory Foods, New Orleans Style; darn good) topped with 2tbs of Blue Cheese crumbles (110) with three slices of wheat bread (120) and baby carrots (50)
  • 1/2 bag of salad (50) topped with BC crumbles (110), bacon bits (60), 2 slices of low-fat turkey, shredded (60), fresh-ground pepper (0), and fat-free Balsamic Vinagrette dressing (5)
  • Sauteed Green and Red Peppers (60), garlic (13), extra-virgin olive oil (120), 1/2 package of Andouille Sausage (420)
  • 2 servings fettucine (420) tossed with sauteed garlic (13) and olive oil (120), along with more baby carrots (50) and 3 slices of bread (120)

If I have a long run, I normally combine the sauteed sausage/peppers with 4 servings brown rice (640) or pasta (420). I never go a day without dark chocolate (4 sqaures of Hershey's Special Dark is 200 calories). Dessert is often one or two pre-packaged cups of flavored fat-free yogurt (the kind I buy all have 80 calories/cup). Breakfast above is one or the other; same with snack; lunch is pretty monotonous, but yummy; dinner is generally one of the above.

Since I've been eating well and moving more (May 2004), I've been able to lose more than 100lbs (297 to a current 195) and have recently started a new kick to ditch the last 20 or so (would love to get to 170-175). I've done one Marathon (Feb of this year) and modified my eating plan (basically whatever I wanted for a 3 months and still lost weight!), but I do maintain a food diary and monitor caloric intake.

For the last few weeeks, I've been maintaing ~2100 cals/day; some may say that's not enough for what I do, but I've not been having any problems. I've seen about 3lbs drop off since late October which is the result of calories in < calories out and the increase in activity. I should mention that in addition to what I log, I also walk about 2 miles a day to and from class.

Good luck, welcome to BT, and I hope you're able to meet your goals!

Edited by sranney 2006-11-17 9:04 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight loss & meal plan Rss Feed