MultiRace
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 17m 11s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I left for the airport on Thursday morning only to find out going through security that my license had expired!!! oh crap, I wasn't going to be able to rent a car in FL, luckily my parents were flying down on Friday so I would at least have access to a rental. The $70 cab ride to South Miami didn't make me happy. Orange Dawn was delivered to the Hotel on Friday and everything appeared to be in one piece!! I put her back together and went for a ride on Saturday up and down the Bus lanes to make sure all the gears worked and I could break.
Event warmup:

Didn't get much sleep, I was using my cell phone for a 3:30 alarm and all through the night my phone would go off from another good luck text. Very thoughtful friends, BUT I'm trying to sleep,lol.

3:30 came, I had a bagel and a breakfest bar with some G-Aid and left for Transition. I got set up and went to the beach, stood in line for the office and took care of all pre race activities. I did meet a couple of people from Chicago! Splashed in the water and waited for WAVE 5 (I think it was wave 5)
Swim
  • 29m 43s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

I positioned myself in my normal spot. Front Row and on the outside. I wanted to finish under 32 mins and wanted to get out in front early and play catch up to the waves ahead of me. At the first buoy I was reaching the previous waves, a left hand turn and basically didn't need to site at all since the water was so clear. I could just swim up to someone pass them and then find the next person. The sun wasn't a problem on the first lap and heading into the beach for the conclusion of the first lap I felt great! I had been in a swimming slump the last four weeks but hadn't been in the pool in awhile and my gills were ready to work! I finished the first lap in 14: and some change, I quickly glanced at my watch as I dolphined back into the water. Same strategy for the second lap bounce from person to person, the Sun was an issue heading to the last buoy but I was in my zone, catching and throwing the water, I found a fellow green capper and stuck on his feet from about 200yds from the last buoy and rode his feet all the way back to the beach which helped bring my heart rate down...out of the water and up the beach, my dad yelled 11th out of the water...sweet. Finished the swim in 29:43...oohhhhh somebody wore his wetsuit. :)
What would you do differently?:

Happy with my swim time, I could have kept on the gas down the home stretch but I think easing up a bit really helped.
Transition 1
  • 05m 55s
Comments:

Long run to and through the T Zone. I wanted to take my time. I was going to be out there awhile I didn't want to forget anything causing a bad ride

Nothing
Bike
  • 2h 59m 16s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.74 mile/hr
Comments:

My biking is my weak link and I just wanted to have a strong ride (for me). I actually passed a few people which never happens since I'm normally in Wave 1 and kept trucking trying not to think about a distance I've never covered, my longest ride was 3hrs prior to this race at an easy effort. I couldn't believe how flat it was! Florida makes Chicago look hilly!! I got a lot of 'good jobs' 'all the way from Chicago?' kind of talk...I was popping a gel every 30mins and drinking my souped up Amino Vital every 10 mins trying to keep my engine going...I really started to fatigue in the last 5 miles. It turned out I was working way to hard, a fellow tri cluber passed me about 2 miles from T2 which gave been some energy to try and hang with him...I saw my dad again which felt good and hit the timing mat in 2:59:16. I couldn't believe it!!! I was tired but felt pretty good! -now I'm hearing it was short of 56 :(

Easy up a bit
Transition 2
  • 06m 58s
Comments:

Stopped in the bathroom to unload my four bottles :)

Again, no hurry, take my time collect my thoughts and go run!
Run
  • 2h 32m 19s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I was looking at my watch in amazement! I was thinking all I have to do is run a 2:15 half mary and I'm going to break 6hrs! Hot damn! I was fired up, I had just run a 1:47 in Chicago last month this was going to be a piece of cake! AND THEN IT HAPPENED, 1 mile in the run my tummy started to hurt, oh no, no GI issues, PLEASE! I stopped to walk and the cramps would settle, then I'd run and they'd come right back. That's okay. I have plenty of time - run/walk your way to a 6hrs finish. The first loop of the run was awful, I was taking ecaps and oranges hoping to settle my stomach, but no luck. My stomach cramps and the sun were ripping me up but I knew I could finish just needed to find my pace. Having stomach cramps and smelling elephant crap is NOT something I needed! but eventually was able to start to run more than walk although it was a shuffle, my legs wanted to go but my body said no. At the mile 10 marker I guess I had enough water/oranges/ecaps that my stomach finely settled and met a woman going my pace and we talked and ran the last two miles together. We talked about our goals and how alone the last lap of the run felt, we didn't walk the last two miles, just sort of got in a zone talking and running and next thing you knew I heard...All the way from the windy city welcome him in...and there it was the banner that I waited to see for over 6hrs was finally here! I had made it!

My calories, more liquid. Who knows but something wasn't right.
Post race
Warm down:

I got my medal and walked around. Both hammys were ready to cramp and I needed to be near a bathroom in case of GI issues. I showered at the hotel and took apart my bike and fed ex'ed back to Chicago. Then we went to dinner at Joe's Stone crab and I pigged out!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe stronger off the bike and my run would have been better. I plan on working on my biking strenght through the winter.

Event comments:

This was my A race. My first season of Triathlon was finally over!!!!! Training in Chicago through October was brutal on me, I was burned out and it was cold!

I wanted to break 6:30 and would have been happy, but for some reason I knew I could have been better. I wanted more from myself. That run just wasn't me. Hopefully those thoughts fuel my training through the winter. I'll be back in July to tackle the 1/2 iron distance again but next time I'll have fresh legs and a better engine! I going to take a couple of days off since my legs are still sore and then ease back into swimming before I set the bike up the trainer.

BUT the more I think about it, I'm never really happy with my performance. I just finished 70.3 miles, maybe I need to smack myself in the head and have a drink and toast my first season, which all in all was wonderful and life changing. Sometimes you need to call yourself out when you're being a dumb ass. :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:43 | 2112 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Two .6 mile laps in clear water
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:59:16 | 56 miles | 18.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: An out section and two laps once we hit the rural area
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 06:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:32:19 | 13.1 miles | 11m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-11-14 11:39 AM

User image

over a barrier
Subject: 2006 Miami Man 1/2 Iron

2006-11-14 11:45 AM
in reply to: #598727

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: 2006 Miami Man 1/2 Iron
Great job. Good luck on your quest for IM WI '07!!!!!
2006-11-14 2:05 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
Aw, too bad we didn't meet up!  We should be proud..one guy said to me "how many of your friends are doing a 1/2 ironman today?".  You did great!  What I think races are for:  learn how to better race the next one!  It must've been tough to come from the cold to the heat.  Glad you got er done!  congrats!!
2006-11-14 2:54 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Way to go man!  Love that swim time you have.  It had to be hot down here for you, all in all it was a great accomplishment, live it up!
2006-11-14 3:53 PM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis

OK...allow me:  You're being a dumba$$!  Dude, you just finished a HIM.  Pop the cork, hire some dancers and toast to yourself.  Great race, great year!

2006-11-14 4:04 PM

User image

Elite
South Florida
Nice work!  It sounds like the run was tough for everybody.  Too bad we never met up with you!

2006-11-16 5:13 PM

User image

over a barrier
Finally got a picture up. I just looked at the results and someone got a penalty of peeing in transition...awesome.

It turned out I finished 5th in the AG for the Swim. Only beat a couple of peeps on the bike and run though

thanks for the kind words all...
2006-11-29 4:04 PM
in reply to: #601616

User image

Boulder, Colorado

great race! You'll nail it next time. That's a solid first season. And yes, work on that off-season bike!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2006 Miami Man 1/2 Iron Rss Feed