General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM long bike/run training advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-15 11:21 AM

Saugus
Subject: IM long bike/run training advice
So... I'm looking at a couple IM training plans and wondering if the longest (peak) bike & run are actually long enough. First 12-week plan has 8 weeks of long bike rides that range from 2-5 hrs. and peaks with one 6 hr. ride at week 9 (of 12). The other plan has several weeks of 4+ hrs. rides and peaks with two 5:30 rides at weeks 7 & 8. Which is best? And are two 5:30 hr. or one 6 hr. ride enough?

Long run - first plan, longest run 3 hrs., with a weekly avg. of almost 4 hrs.; second plan, longest run is 2:40, weekly avg. 3 hrs. It just doesn’t seem like enough or is it? Anyway, I’d be curious to hear what’s worked for other IM finishers. I’m usually in the MOP or BOP. In the last year I’ve done 2 HIMs, an Oly, a couple Sprints, a Half Mary, first marathon, and my longest ride to date was 65 miles with 3,100 ft. of climbing & a couple of stops that took me 4:30 to finish (I can go the distance, just not breaking any records!). I’m signed up for IMAZ in Apr. ’07 and would like to finish comfortably around 13-14 hrs. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

2006-11-15 12:38 PM
in reply to: #599980

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Subject: RE: IM long bike/run training advice

For one you have to trust the plan.  My max bike ride was 6.5 hours and the plan also included maybe 2 5-6 hour rides on top of that?  I can't remember.  But for me personally if I were to go back adn train for another IM I would bike more, since that was my weakest sport and I could use more work on it.

For the run, my max run on the plan was only 2.5 hours, but I actually did 3 hours max since I felt like I needed a longer run in.  I do know that most plans don't have you run more than 3 hours- it's just not a good idea.

From my IM training experience, I didn't think my runs were long enough and had planned to run/walk the IM marathon.   However, I felt great on race day and was able to run the entire marathon and only walk aid stations.  I learned my lesson to trust the plan and stick with it.  I was better trained than I thought I was and finsihed in 14:20, and that was being conservative during the entire IM

Sorry I can't answer all your questions but I just wanted to let you know what my experience was.  good luck!

Edited by runnergirl 2006-11-15 12:39 PM
2006-11-15 1:06 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I think a great deal of it depends on where you are when you start training and whether the plan is a finish only plan or if it targets a specific time. As well, most triathletes are only training 6-12 hours per week and trying to balance life and all the swimming, biking and running that would be ideal is probably not going to happen.

I would say talk to other people who have used the plan you are looking at, find what the strengths and weaknesses were and then based on your available time and goals, choose a plan that will work for you and you can stick with.

You could also consider getting a coach or upgrading your membership here and having access to coaches to discuss modifications to plans on the site.

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2006-11-15 1:07 PM
2006-11-15 2:47 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

This is a reason why a coach is a good idea for IM training. Whatever YOUR specific limiter is, that is where you need to spend the most time. Someone who comes from a competative swimming background doesn't need to spend 4 days a week in the pool, those two extra exercise periods could be used to strength train or work on cycling or running technique. If you are an athlete who is going to be out on the bike course for 7 or 8 hours then your time might be better spent becoming stronger and more efficient on the bike, rather than extra run time or swim time.

This is the problem that I have with general plans for ultra endurance events, they will probably get you to the finish line, but they don't address YOUR specific needs.

2006-11-15 2:48 PM

User image

Elite
San Diego

I'm no expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Since you are a MOP or BOP (like myself) I would look for a plan that is longer than 12 weeks. In my last two IM's I used 24 week training plans. That way you are getting in more than just one 6 hour bike or 3 hour run. The more the better as far as I'm concerned as long as it is done safely.

And get a coach

Edited by madcow 2006-11-15 2:50 PM
2006-11-15 2:59 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

I was a BOP/MOP'er and used the BT gold "1/2 IM to IM bridge plan."  It was only a 3 month IM specific training plan.  But it worked well since I had come off a 1/2 IM in May, and maintained and focused on biking my first century and then started that plan.  I would definitely use that plan again.  Also, if you have a gold membership, you'll have access to a few more training plan options and have access to the coaches- who are readily available to give you personal training advice to help you along the way.  For me it was worth upgrading to the gold plan, but that was just my personal preference.

There's so many different approaches to training, and everyone will have their own opinions and ideas.  You have to find what works best for you and fits best into your lifestyle.  If you're looking to finish comfrotably, then I would pick a plan and stick to it.  It's hard if you've never done an IM to know what to expect, since it's differnet than any other type of race.  Most of us who competed in IM FL used BT IM plans and did much better than we had expected, so I'm sure you'll do great using a plan from this site or somewhere else.

2006-11-15 3:30 PM

User image

Those peaks sound to about what I did in a 12 week 'finisher' plan (in a book by Tom Holland) - I think I ended up doing one ride a little over a hundred, and long run was about 19 mi. I was BOP but just wanted to finish, which I did "comfortably".
2006-11-15 4:02 PM
in reply to: #600417

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

MadCityMick - 2006-11-15 4:30 PM Those peaks sound to about what I did in a 12 week 'finisher' plan (in a book by Tom Holland) - I think I ended up doing one ride a little over a hundred, and long run was about 19 mi. I was BOP but just wanted to finish, which I did "comfortably".

Tom was my coach when I first started. Great guy, taught me alot about triathlon and training.

2006-11-16 4:49 PM

Saugus
thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. One plan I'm thinking of using is the BT IM training plan, and upgrading the membership to get advice from the coaches sounds like a great way to go. I used the BT Half IM plan and it worked really well for me so I think I should stick with what I know and maybe tweak it a bit to add a couple more long runs/rides. The other plan is from beIronFit, which I liked because it's written for people who have jobs, kids & other commitments and seems less daunting. Taking on something like an IM is a big deal for me so I appreciate the comments.
2006-11-22 12:54 PM

New user

A good source of IM training plans is Rich Strauss at Crucible Fitness. I've never used a plan by Rich, but a lot of people are very positive about them.

Whatever plan you choose, here are some recommendations:
- Frequency on the run
A 2:30 flat run is long enough. The fatigue factor is big here and you don't want to compromise your training for the rest of the week. Focus on running shorter distances 5 - 6 days a week.
- Fatigue on the bike
3 to 4, 5 - 6 hour rides will be enough for completing your first IM. Focus on pacing, keeping the stops to a minimum and working out your nutrition plan.
- Rest
Seperate out the long bike and run during the week. An example would be a long run on Wednesday, and a long bike on Saturday or Sunday. Fatigue becomes a major factor during your biggest training weeks.

Good luck and have fun,
Mark
2006-11-22 1:51 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

First, you need to trust your plan and your training.  Once you decide on a plan, stick to it unless there is something obviously not going right.

I used the HIM to IM bridge plan from BT.

My plan for IMFL had one each: 5:30 hour, 6:00 hour, and 6:30 hour bike ride with brick runs after.  The original plan had a max long run of 2.5 hours.  I didn't think this was long enough, so I adjusted the plan to max out the long run at 3 hours.  Running more than 3 hours is usually not advised.  Runs longer than 3 hours take too long to recover from and interfere with the rest of your training. 

FWIW, I also had one mega training day where I swam 1 hour, biked 5 hours and ran 1 hour; all back to back just like a race.  This was a huge confidence booster. 

TJ

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM long bike/run training advice Rss Feed