United States
49F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 46m 8s
Overall Rank = 46/249
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/36
Pre-race routine:

After travel the latter part of the week, I spent the evening before the race on an airplane. This killed me as I only got 4 hours of sleep and had to force myself to eat something when I got home at 1 am as I hadn't eaten since Noon. I also knew I was somwhat dehydrated from 4+ hours on the plane. More on this later.

Event warmup:

Morning was a short drive to the race while drinking plenty of fluids. I decided not to eat anything as I could still feel last night's late dinner in my stomach.

When I arrived I took my new TRI bike for a quick spin as the only time I've spent on the bike was on the trainer. I figured getting a little time on the roads was a good idea so I could figure out handling, braking, etc. After I set up the transition area, I stood in line for the port-o-johns and drank a Red Bull (4 hours sleep!). When I was through the line there was only about 10 minutes until the race so I headed towards the start and chatted with one of my friends.
Run
  • 21m 44s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

When the gun went off there was an immediate hill. I was having stomach and GI issues as my stomach reminded me that eating so late wasn't a good idea. I nearly got sick two times during the first 2 miles of the race and almost quit the run 1/2 mile in. I really wanted to be running the associated 10 mile race which was going off 15 minutes later, as I hate sprinting. Oh well, it was time to ignore my issues and run my race.

My initial pace had more to do with the friend I was running besides than anything else. He was moving and I know I am faster than him so I tried to keep up. Even while hurting, I still managed a 6:54 1st mile. Mile 2 was more of the same and I actually pulled towards the side in case I had to get sick. Mile 2 was 6:58. Somewhere after mile 2, I dropped my friend and my body finally figured out what was going on and settled in. My training took over and the stomach was no longer an issue. Mile 3 was right around 7 flat and I decided to slow a bit coming into the transition area to get my HR back down before the bike.

Considering my 'issues' this actually was a good run and was a 5k PR.
What would you do differently?:

Not be on an airplane until midnight. Eat and hydrate properly the day before the race. Other than that, nothing as it WAS a PR.
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

No matter what type of race, my transitions just aren't good. I never come into the T area with a proper plan.

Practice transitions.
Bike
  • 59m 52s
  • 20.7 miles
  • 20.75 mile/hr
Comments:

As I stated earlier, this was my inaugural non-trainer ride on my new Cervelo P2K. I have yet to set up my bike computer, so I never had any idea on my speed.

As usual, it took me a couple of extra seconds to get clipped and up to speed. Then I just started riding with an emphasis on a comfortable cadance. I passed some people along the first loop and was passed by others. Once I got settled it was a very enjoyable ride and I fell in love with my bike. The wind on the bike through Ft. Story from the Ocean was also pretty tough and at times I had to concentrate on staying upright.

During the 2nd loop, I could feel that dehydration from all my time on the plane becoming a factor. I started to have calf cramps and I would pedal and then coast. I probably did this for about a mile until I was finally able to get rid of the cramps with some stretching (while riding), a gel with extra sodium, and Gatorade. However, I know this cost me some time on the bike.

Loop 3 was uneventful and I held my position the rest of the way in.

Be properly hydrated. I actually think I rode a good race as I never really hammered, but finished with a good pace for me - you gotta love the bike! :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Ummmm - whatever.
Run
  • 22m 11s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I really don't remember much about the second run. At this point, I actually was feeling good. First mile was a little slow as I was still getting my legs back. Miles 2 & 3 were a bit faster and I passed a few people going up the last hill. Actually, this run was a little conservative as I had a real good push at the end.

Nothing - pretty good second run. Maybe, I could have run harder, but who cares!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and had some more Gatorade. Waited for my friend to finish. Chatted with him a little bit and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See travel details and time on my new bike.

Event comments:

The was the first annual race - highly recommended!!! Nice cap to the racing season. :)

Last updated: 2006-11-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:44 | 03.11 miles | 06m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/36
Overall: 61/249
Performance: Good
Course: Short 'backwards' loop around Fort Story. 2 pretty good hills (for VA Beach) at miles 1 & 3.
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 01:06
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:59:52 | 20.7 miles | 20.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/36
Overall: 58/249
Wind:
Course: 3 loops around Fort Story along Atlantic and Shore Drive. Wind was tough along the ocean inside Fort Story.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:13
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:11 | 03.11 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/36
Overall: 46/249
Course: Rinse, repeat 1st run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-19 4:02 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: Cape Henry 5K-21M-5K Duathlon

2006-11-19 8:33 PM
in reply to: #603443

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Cape Henry 5K-21M-5K Duathlon
Great race; especially with no sleep and the new bike. SOunds like her maiden voyage was a good one. WIsh I could have been at that race; sounds like it was fun. Congrats!
2006-11-20 10:38 AM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
So, to PR on a 5K, the key is no sleep and a plane ride?! Great job on the race.
2006-11-20 11:30 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-11-20 11:44 AM

Expert
Central New York
Very impressive to see your 5K times so evenly paced. Congratulations and, well, some bike envy, too.
2006-11-20 12:41 PM

Master
Savannah,
You are SO fast!  Wow.   Glad Candi was a good girl during the race.....she's purty.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cape Henry 5K-21M-5K Duathlon Rss Feed