General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Outside running compared to inside running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-20 9:02 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Outside running compared to inside running

I did a couple of one hour runs last week outside and tried to keep in zone 2 - which means keeping my HR between 155/162. Outside I averaged about a 9.32 pace per mile. Today I had a 45 minute run in the plan but forgot my jacket so did it on a treadmill. Now I was expecting it to be easier on a tready because it's flat and there's no wind. But, despite feeling ok and like I could go much faster I had to run at a pace over 10 mins per mile to keep the heart rate down.

Anyone know what that's all about?

2006-11-20 9:17 AM
in reply to: #603751

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Outside running compared to inside running
I'm the exact same way. Usually heart rate is 10-15 beats higher on the treadmill at a slower running pace.
2006-11-20 9:22 AM
in reply to: #603751

User image

Veteran
Candler, North Carolina
Treadmill speeds and distances are at best a rough estimate...
2013-09-10 9:39 AM
in reply to: paragon

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

As stated the treadmill speed arent as accurate as everyone thinks!  but also, you use the muscles in a different way on the tready compared to outside. 

outside:  feet are the mechanism propelling your forward and the toe off "controls" the pace you go

inside:  tready's motor is the mechanism propelling your forward movement, you just have to have the turnover to keep up at a desired speed, therefore, the muscle focus shifts from the feet/calfs to the hips.

2013-09-10 11:40 AM
in reply to: djdavey

User image

The treadmill does NOT propel your feet forward. Your muscles propel your feet forward to counteract the backward movement of the belt. So the net effect is staying in place. The treadmill doesn't help you move forward - this is a misconception. The biomechanics might be a bit different for some people, especially those that don't regularly run on treadmills.

If you don't believe me, have someone secretly come up and unplug the treadmill while you are on it-- you will find your body propelled onto the console.
(I'm just kidding-- I don't recommend this, but know people it's happened to-- power outage, accidentally pulling the emergency stop cord, etc.)

Anyway, there are lots of variables with treadmills as others have said-- they aren't always calibrated correctly. Some have a small incline by default, which will make you go a slightly slower pace for the same effort. Or your HR could be higher because the room was warmer and you don't have the cooling effect of moving through the air.

I'm always faster on the treadmill than outside. But I really enjoy it and just consider it a different place to run. I'm also faster on the track than the road, and slower on trail than on the road. I just adjust my pace accordingly for the effort I want.
2013-09-10 12:03 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Agree with previous posters. Of the many brands and models of treadmills, it is very rare to find two that give you the same speed for effort. Small changes in temperature can have an effect too.

2013-09-10 12:24 PM
in reply to: Batcheldor

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I remember reading an article on ST (I think) that said that running on a treadmill better engages hip flexors than running on the road. I am sure this is dependent upon individual biomechanics, but I have noticed more hip flexor use on the treadmill than on the road. I regularly run on a treadmill (more lately since the humidity is like a gazillion %), I find that being able to dial in the speed really helps me with establishing correct cadence.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Outside running compared to inside running Rss Feed