Hastings Family Service
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 52m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

No real routine here as this is such a low key event. Had some breakfast, drove the 5 miles to the start, parked and waited. We had picked up our packets the night before, so all we had to do was show up and start running at 8:30.
Event warmup:

Um, the walk from the car to the starting area? Oh, and I also had to walk around a bit to find the drop-off for the food donation items. I did stretch a little while waiting for the start.
Run
  • 52m 10s
  • 4.9 miles
  • 10m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first ever running race that was longer than a 5k, so my thought was just to go slow and steady and see how it went. The first mile was fine and even though it was a little chilly yet, the headband and gloves were off by the start of mile 2. Mile 2 was almost entirely uphill, and that was a big drag, but I knew that meant eventually we'd have to come back down.

By mile 4 I was starting to get pretty tired, but thankfully that was about half downhill. Then mile 4.9 was almost the same and I kicked it in a little at the end.

I was really happy to be able to run the whole thing, and best of all, no IT band pain!!
What would you do differently?:

I could have started a little faster. I was very conservative for the first mile. But goal was to finish under 55:00, so I did that and was happy.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, stretched some.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being too conservative at the start, and inexperience with anything more than 4 miles. This was the first time I'd ever run more than 4 miles.

Event comments:

This is a very fun race and raises money for a very good cause. The family 2k is always a big hit along with the 8k. The only issue I have with this race is that we waited in the post-race water line for a good long time. A race that has this many people in it simply MUST have more than one water bottle line at the end.

(This event isn't chip timed, and no results are kept other than the first three finishers of each gender, so my results are from my Garmin.)

We couldn't stick around for the prizes, but did stop in at the LBS on the way back to the car and bought some bike jerseys. :)

Last updated: 2006-10-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:52:10 | 04.9 miles | 10m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 11:23 Mile 2: 11:21 (almost all uphill) Mile 3: 10:25 Mile 4: 10:25 Mile 4.9: 8:36 Avg HR: 172 bpm
Course: Hard to describe to those not familiar with the area. Basically it starts along the river, then goes out perpendicular to the river for a while, then back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes