General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heel Pain...just below my achilles!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-01 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran
De Queen, Arkansas
Subject: Heel Pain...just below my achilles!!!!
I have been training for my first half marathon and have followed my plan pretty closely with no injuries until this past week. I am in my last week of training and a couple of days ago I woke up and could barely walk. My heel was killing me. It sorta felt like a bad pebble bruise and loosened up by the end of the day. Even when it doesn't bother me to walk or run it's still sore, like a bruies, when I touch it. I'm still able to train in the evening without much discomfert. I am worried about running in the mornings because that's when it is most uncofortable. Any advice?

2006-12-01 9:08 AM
in reply to: #613088

User image

Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: Heel Pain...just below my achilles!!!!
LA Reed - 2006-12-01 9:39 AM

I have been training for my first half marathon and have followed my plan pretty closely with no injuries until this past week. I am in my last week of training and a couple of days ago I woke up and could barely walk. My heel was killing me. It sorta felt like a bad pebble bruise and loosened up by the end of the day. Even when it doesn't bother me to walk or run it's still sore, like a bruies, when I touch it. I'm still able to train in the evening without much discomfert. I am worried about running in the mornings because that's when it is most uncofortable. Any advice?

Plantar Faciitis maybe?
2006-12-01 10:36 AM

Regular
North Plains, Oregon
I second plantar faciitas. http://www.drpribut.com/sports/heelhtm.htm

Make sure you are icing and stretching. Maybe get a good massage on the calves and feet. But be aggressive in taking care of it after your half mary.

I had plantar faciitas years ago that resulted in heel spurs on both feet and custom orthotics, which worked for me, but don't for everyone. I too could barley walk in the morning, felt good during my runs, and then pain the rest of the time.

No quick fix if it is PF. Takes time to heal.
2006-12-01 12:14 PM

check out http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/index.shtml

You should be able to get a pretty good idea of what it is your dealing with. I've had some issues with PF which this may be.

Whatever it is you should try to deal with it ASAP and make sure you are not aggravating the injury more by continuing your current training (PF can take a very long time to heal).
2006-12-01 1:55 PM

User image

Veteran
De Queen, Arkansas
It looks like it is PF. Thanks for the information.
2006-12-01 2:10 PM
in reply to: #613302

User image

Veteran
De Queen, Arkansas
What would you recommend given the following scenario? How much do I need to back of on running?

Schedule leading up to Dec 10 Half Mary

Today 5 mile run
Sat. 60 min cross
Sun. 10 mile run
Tue 5 mile run
Wed 3 mile run
Thurs. 60 min cross
Fri. Rest
Sat easy run
Sunday Half mary

2006-12-01 2:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
I have been suffering with PF on and off for quite some time. I managed to be pain free when training for my half mary last year and throughout the season. However, after my recovery break, I added too much running to fast and now its back ever so slightly.

Things that I have found that help alot include:

1) Icing after excerise and throughout the day. Free a water bottle and then roll it under your foot
2) Stretching of the calfs and achilles. Also include ankles. Several times a day draw the ABCs with you feet
3) Tennis ball/golf ball. Roll under foot throughout the day
4) My night splint. What happens is as you sleep you relax the muscle and allow it to shorten. THis is why PF is so much more painful in the am cause when you first walk on it, you lenghten what is already sore.
5) Never ever walk barefoot. Put on some type of supported shoe (birks, etc) all the time. Esp when you first wake up.
6) stretch before you get out of bed to lenght the muscle/tendon/whatever its called.

I can't really offer advise on what to do with your training but I woudl try to reduce for a while why you heal. When mine first came about, I didn't really reduce my training because I had an A race coming up. My dr advised me not to continue to run but I did and instead of just the inflammation injury, I ended up with a Tear which takes alot longer to heal (6 mths of no running and lots of pt). Not fun!!

Hope some of this helps!!!
2006-12-01 3:09 PM

Regular
TX
If it is below the achilles, but not on the bottom of your heel (the part that touches the ground) it is not PF, it is more likely a strain of the achilles tendon where it attaches to the bone. Treatment is about the same as discussed above. Stretch good before (maybe with some heat or whirlpool) then ice immediately after. Also, some anti-inflammatory (Advil) will help. It will take some time to heal, and as long as it is getting better you can do as much pain free workout as you can stand. If it doesn't get any better, you will need to slack off a little until it does.
2006-12-01 4:04 PM

User image

Veteran
De Queen, Arkansas
It is definately not the bottom of my foot. It is directy below my achilles and roughly a 1/2 inch up the back of my heel. I'll take it easy today and tomorrow and see how I feel Sunday. I suppose if I have to I can cycle this week and do some light running and go ahead with my 1/2 mary next Sunday. Thanks for all the input.
2006-12-01 7:46 PM

User image

Master
I have PF, too. I have heel spurs on the bottom of the heel AND back of the heel where the achilles connects. Doc says the bones in my foot are crooked so that puts strain on the tendons, and my calves are tight. I'm getting custom orthotics (haven't come in yet) and had some physical therapy. When I stretch twice a day, it doesn't bother me, but if I skip a couple of days I can really tell. For the most part I'm pain-free now, but every so often it starts to hurt again.

They now have a night splint that only comes up to your ankle, so it's probably not as difficult to wear, although I haven't tried it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heel Pain...just below my achilles!!!! Rss Feed