General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight Loss vs Weight Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-05 8:54 PM

User image

Winter Springs Fl.
Subject: Weight Loss vs Weight Training
Hi
Looking for input on the pros and cons of weight lifting while trying to loose weight.
I do not do heavy weights, I do more reps.
I have heard that lifting weights will increase my metabolism, thus burn calories.
I've also heard that the lifting increases muscle mass, thus I do not see the weight loss on the scale.
I have been stuck at approx 225 for the last month.
My weekly training consist of:
Monday 30-40 min of weight (10 excersies 4 sets of 12) Starting with large musles first working to smaller groups.
Followed by a 30 to 60 min upright bike keeping heart rate at between 65 & 75 % of max

Tues - Long bike avg 19-23 mph for at least 2 hours
Wed is a Monday repeat except change bike to 30 min easy run.
Thursday 1 hour run
Friday off (will start adding swims here)
Sat long ride or run (at least 2 or more hours)

So I am stuck and need to figure out this weight as it's making me nuts when I do not see the scale move.

ps I try to follow WW, but on long days its pretty much out the door in terms of points

Thanks in advance for any help or tips
clint

2006-12-05 10:51 PM
in reply to: #616926

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: Weight Loss vs Weight Training

Im stuck on a weight loss plateau too...assuming your eating is under control there are a couple of  little things I know of that could help:

1) Switch cardio and weight training so you do the cardio first and work as hard as you can then do weights while fatigued which will keep your heart rate up

2) If doing this make sure you keep your heart rte up while weight training with minimal rest between sets, supersetting and doing abs etc during rest

3) Interval cardio - hurts very badly but works (for me) 20 minutes of interval training once or twice a week is enough

4) Still do weights but change the actual exercises so if you are doing squats and lunges switch to Step Ups or legpress and dynamic or backwards lunges 

5) Make the most of yuor cardio: know your HRs and work HARD!

Thats my 2c - Im sure there are some experts here that  can help you further!

2006-12-05 11:24 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Sounds like a nice balanced workout plan to me - especially for December.   Should trigger loss eventually assuming food intake is proper. 
2006-12-05 11:58 PM

User image

Master
Portland, OR
Hi Clint!

Are you measuring your body fat %? I just broke through a 4 week plateau and moved a whopping one pound from 150 to 149. However, I've lost 4% body fat in the last month. I do weight training 2 days a week. I meet with my trainer at 5am then in the evening do a bike ride (Tuesdays) or a run (Thursdays).

I've been very frustrated with the scale but relaxed quite a bit once I saw how much body fat I've lost. That means I have more muscle!! It does get frustrating to not see the scale budge. My husband will see me weigh myself and then ask, "How's it lookin'?" I end up muttering something about the scale being a b@tch. But he does a great job of reminding me that all of my work slacks are too big for me now.

The scale is only one way to measure our success. Your training plan looks great...keep it up!!

Sharon
2006-12-06 12:13 AM
in reply to: #617020

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria
kaqphin - 2006-12-06 2:51 PM

Im stuck on a weight loss plateau too...assuming your eating is under control there are a couple of  little things I know of that could help:

1) Switch cardio and weight training so you do the cardio first and work as hard as you can then do weights while fatigued which will keep your heart rate up

2) If doing this make sure you keep your heart rte up while weight training with minimal rest between sets, supersetting and doing abs etc during rest

3) Interval cardio - hurts very badly but works (for me) 20 minutes of interval training once or twice a week is enough

4) Still do weights but change the actual exercises so if you are doing squats and lunges switch to Step Ups or legpress and dynamic or backwards lunges 

Thats my 2c - Im sure there are some experts here that  can help you further!

Sounds like we have the same trainer. My routine is very similar although my interval training is only at 12 minuets..... so far.
2006-12-06 11:55 AM
in reply to: #617046

User image

Winter Springs Fl.
Thank you for the response
no I have not done any body fat measurments (scared to)
No I just need to go out and get it done or buy a scale that does that.
I have been counting my calorie intake vs burned calories, and try to keep it less then what I am burning by a few hunderd.
I do know my clothes are fitting better and can really see it in the belt holes.

I will go get a scale and try that as well

Thanks for the feedback

2006-12-06 12:00 PM
in reply to: #617020

User image

Winter Springs Fl.
Yeah
I have tried this method, sounds just like the Body for life workout.
Fast paced workouts and keep the time between sets quick.
I try ot keep my HR at 65 to 75% of my max during the week to be in fat burn mode, then on Saturdays push it more

Thanks for the feedback
clint

Im stuck on a weight loss plateau too...assuming your eating is under control there are a couple of little things I know of that could help:

4) Still do weights but change the actual exercises so if you are doing squats and lunges switch to Step Ups or legpress and dynamic or backwards lunges

Thats my 2c - Im sure there are some experts here that can help you further!

2006-12-07 1:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Your plan looks good - just remember that the body is extremley adaptable. So when you start to see a plateau, it means that your body is used to the loads you are placing on it. You have to progressivley overload yourself to continue weight loss and improvments in cardio, etc..

Eating properly is a huge part too, so remember to work on that, and I'm sure you'll see results. But as other people have already posted, its more about how you are looking and feeling!

I saw a scale in a Runners World magazine not too long ago which analyzed body fat % as well as weight, etc. It was kind of expensive, but looked cool! I'll try and find the name of it for you if you want

Now, if only I could DO all the things I just suggested... Cheers,

Megz
2006-12-07 9:58 AM

User image

Winter Springs Fl.
What about this approach. I think my base is pretty good right now, in terms of training.
What if I took a couple weeks off doing nothing and follow Weight Watchers for a couple of weeks and really keep right on track and see if that will sorta jump start the loss again.
I agree with the last update, that I may be stuck and need more load. However, I do not want to burn out. So my thinking is that if I took a couple weeks off and purely focused on weight loss. Then come Jan. That still leaves me 10 months till IM Florida. I think that is more then enough time and I should not loose to much base by taking a couple weeks off.
Any thoughts on that approach?

Thanks agian for all the feedback and ideas.
Should capture all this info and write a dang book.

clint
2006-12-07 11:21 AM

User image

Master
Northern California
Clintjc1 - 2006-12-05 6:54 PM

Hi
Looking for input on the pros and cons of weight lifting while trying to loose weight.
I do not do heavy weights, I do more reps.
I have heard that lifting weights will increase my metabolism, thus burn calories.
I've also heard that the lifting increases muscle mass, thus I do not see the weight loss on the scale.
I have been stuck at approx 225 for the last month.
My weekly training consist of:
Monday 30-40 min of weight (10 excersies 4 sets of 12) Starting with large musles first working to smaller groups.
Followed by a 30 to 60 min upright bike keeping heart rate at between 65 & 75 % of max

Tues - Long bike avg 19-23 mph for at least 2 hours
Wed is a Monday repeat except change bike to 30 min easy run.
Thursday 1 hour run
Friday off (will start adding swims here)
Sat long ride or run (at least 2 or more hours)

So I am stuck and need to figure out this weight as it's making me nuts when I do not see the scale move.

ps I try to follow WW, but on long days its pretty much out the door in terms of points

Thanks in advance for any help or tips
clint

Well, for the most part people get stuck due to diet, not due to training. Post a typical days diet.
2006-12-07 12:31 PM

User image

Winter Springs Fl.
Here is last weeks Meals vs training
Monday - Train 40 min weights 60 min bike
Meals - Breakfast Nature Vally Honey & oats bar(180 cal, 29g carb 4g protein) 28oz water
Lunch - Chicken Salad low fat sesame ginger dressing (350 cal), diet coke
Dinner - Chicken wings 10, diet coke water

Tuesday - Train: 6.5mi run 60 min
Breakfast Nature Vally Honey & oats bar 28oz water
Lunch Asian chicken salad lot fat sesame ginger dressing
Dinner - Sm salad, 3 slices of pizza

Wed - Train 40 min weights 15.48 bike 60 min
Breafast 2 honeyoat bars water
Lunch - Chicken salad sesame ginegr dressing diet coke
Dinner - Chicken wrap & sm salad

Thursday - run 5.18mi 60 min
Breakfast Honeyoat bar
Lunch Grilled chicken & fruit cup
Dinner - not sure why I do not have this down unless I didn't save log

Friday - Train OFF
Breakfast - Blueberry bagel with PB
Lunch Chicken Salad
Dinner - Pasta & Chicken

Saturday OUC Half marathon 2hrs

Thats pretty much it with some minor changes here and there, but for the most part thats it.
Just add lots a water to that. I drink at 2 28oz bottles while training and at least 3 more during the course of the day.

If I am doing a long run 13 miles or more on a Saturday, then I tend to eat some pasta and chicken on the Friday before, this works well for me.
Most of the training is the same, I may only do 30 min run or bike after lifting, just depends on how I feel. Friday and Sundays I use as recovery days.

I have herd some theory on actually not eating enough, but I have tried that to, eat a little more and I will gain weight.

Oh one more thing
Does anyone know an tool to measure calorie buring.
I use:
http://www.stevenscreek.com/goodies/calories.html
but not real sure how correct that is.
Alos use:
http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/jumpsite/calculat.htm

Thanks
Clint

2007-01-09 4:39 PM

Did this get any better for you Clint? Seems like you may need to eat smaller meals more often. That keeps the fires stoked and actually helped me to kickstart weight loss. When I do 3 squares a day I actually gain weight. From what I've been told by trainers and from what I've read 5-6 small meals a day is the best eating plan. For me I have a tendency toward insulin resistance and hypoclycemia so I have to break that up to 5-8 meals a day. I can feel the difference immediatly. It increases my metabolism and by body gets used to getting hungry every 2-3 hours. Oh yeah and at that level of training and not eating enough calories or giving the body enough food the body will think it's starving and will hold on to weight. It's called starvation mode. Hope this helps.

ruthie

Edited by msruthie 2007-01-09 4:41 PM
2007-01-09 6:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Read the info on the following link, especially "So you want to lose fat" and "Clean Eating" it has worked wonders for me...

http://forums.menshealth.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/855109121/m/1561087...

It looks to me like you are eating way too little and not enough times in the day. I eat something (at least an apple or fat free yogurt) every 2-3 hours or less. I've lost about 60 lbs since April 1st and managed to keep some muscle.

Edited by CKinsey 2007-01-09 6:29 PM
2007-01-09 9:00 PM
in reply to: #648397

User image

Winter Springs Fl.
Thanks for the updates and links,
I did get down to 221 lbs, byt still going slow.
Yes I have tried to eat more but that did not help either.
I am still trying to figure this out.
2014-06-03 6:43 PM
in reply to: Clintjc1

User image

Originally posted by Clintjc1

I do know my clothes are fitting better and can really see it in the belt holes.

That's what counts. Remember muscle is more dense and therefore heavier when compared to the same volume of fat.

If you're looking better, feeling better and your clothes are fitting better then my bet is you're doing better. Keep it up.

Cheers,

NealeinMI
2014-06-10 3:28 PM

User image

Monterey, California
I'd love to hear an update from you, Clint. I was struck by a similar thought that you weren't eating sufficiently to fuel your workouts. The recommendation I've heard is to increase your cals by 100 each week until you get above your BMR. ScoobysWorkshop offers a good calculator to figure out a good cal level. It takes some tweaking to personalize.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

2014-06-10 4:03 PM

Weight training is actually a very important part/step to weight loss. Lifting weights for reps is what allows your muscles to get toned and essentially help increase what you are burning off, rather than lifting heavy for few reps which is meant to bulk. Squats are one of the bets exercises for weight loss and it also gets your whole lower body, including your core, in great shape. I recommend weight training for everyone and anyone. Cardio, plyos, and body weight exercises are still just as important but they all work as a team and you need to incorporate them all to get the best results
2014-06-30 7:59 PM
in reply to: capp16

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by capp16 Weight training is actually a very important part/step to weight loss. Lifting weights for reps is what allows your muscles to get toned and essentially help increase what you are burning off, rather than lifting heavy for few reps which is meant to bulk. Squats are one of the bets exercises for weight loss and it also gets your whole lower body, including your core, in great shape. I recommend weight training for everyone and anyone. Cardio, plyos, and body weight exercises are still just as important but they all work as a team and you need to incorporate them all to get the best results

This is not true.   The only way you will noticeable bulk by lifting (light or heavy) is to eat a surplus.   You can't create mass from nowhere.

Lifting heavy has many benefits, including "bulking" if you eat a surplus.

The only "important" part of weight loss is to eat fewer calories than you burn.    Any exercises you add are "important" for meeting any health goals you have... such as strength, cardio fitness, body shaping, etc.

2014-07-25 2:02 PM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
Originally posted by moondawg14

Originally posted by capp16 Weight training is actually a very important part/step to weight loss. Lifting weights for reps is what allows your muscles to get toned and essentially help increase what you are burning off, rather than lifting heavy for few reps which is meant to bulk. Squats are one of the bets exercises for weight loss and it also gets your whole lower body, including your core, in great shape. I recommend weight training for everyone and anyone. Cardio, plyos, and body weight exercises are still just as important but they all work as a team and you need to incorporate them all to get the best results

This is not true.   The only way you will noticeable bulk by lifting (light or heavy) is to eat a surplus.   You can't create mass from nowhere.

Lifting heavy has many benefits, including "bulking" if you eat a surplus.

The only "important" part of weight loss is to eat fewer calories than you burn.    Any exercises you add are "important" for meeting any health goals you have... such as strength, cardio fitness, body shaping, etc.

This.

Lift heavy with lower reps - in the 4-8 range. Pick compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, bench press and progressively load. A program like Stronglift 5x5 or Wendler 5/3/1 is a good choice. This will help retain precious lean mass.
2014-08-08 3:22 PM

Weight training is a great way to add something into your exercise mix for weight loss! Have you ever heard of body pump or any classes like it? It's high rep low weight, weight lifting so it focuses on toning each muscle group while burning fat and getting a bit of cardio in. Muscle does weigh more than fat but that doesn't mean that you are going to gain weight...I would measure yourself before you start to weight train and after a few weeks see where your measurements end up and then weigh in. I got so much stronger and toned when I started these classes, also giving my legs a bit more endurance. If you continue with everything else that you've been doing for weight loss then this should be just another great addition for you
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight Loss vs Weight Training Rss Feed