Run Wild Racing
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 50m 35s
Overall Rank = 392/495
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 37/42
Pre-race routine:

Took me less time than I had planned to get to the race site, so we hung out in the car for over an hour before walking over to the start line. Had a gel 15 minutes before race.
Event warmup:

Little stretching, brisk walk
Run
  • 50m 35s
  • 4.07 miles
  • 12m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off a little hard. Was huffing & puffing pretty good the first mile, then I settled down and ran a little easier. Tried hard to relax. Listened to my music while I ran, which made it more pleasant. Tried to pick of the person in front of me, which worked several times, but also got picked off by several race walkers. I've discovered that walking up bigger hills and through the water stops works well for me. I expend alot of energy trudging up the hills, and can expend lots less walking - not to mention that I walk faster than I run going uphill! ;) Felt pretty good until the 2.5 miles, then I got pretty tired. Found a song on the MP3 that got me going and picked up the pace a bit. With only a half mile to go, came up on a couple of kids who were alternating run/walk. When I was right behind them, I told them they were almost to the end and they should pick up the pace. They didn't want to get beat by an old fat lady, did they? They laughed and ran to the finish line. Having them pick up the pace also caused me to pick up the pace, so it all ended well. Made a conscience decision to push harder the last half mile. Wanted to finish knowing that I didn't leave anything out there..
What would you do differently?:

Become a better runner.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the finish line area. Ate some AWESOME cranberry raisin bread, then walked about a mile back to the car and did a good stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Myself

Event comments:

Good race - well organized.

Last updated: 2006-10-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:50:35 | 04.07 miles | 12m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 0/495
Performance: Good
Course: Single loop on paved bike trail. Couple of hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-12-10 5:42 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Subject: Holiday Run @ Sharon Woods
HRSW

Edited by tnickerson 2006-12-10 5:56 PM

2006-12-11 8:31 AM
in reply to: #620471

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Subject: RE: Holiday Run @ Sharon Woods
Great job!!  I think after coming off a nice long vacation that you did awesome!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Holiday Run @ Sharon Woods Rss Feed