General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Going to Tri in Maryland Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-15 3:40 PM

Subject: Going to Tri in Maryland
Hey All,

Found this site a little while ago and I love it. I am going to attempt an IM this September here in MD. It is going to be my first try ever (I know, people will say it's crazy), but here is my personal philosophy. I want to do something I am not sure I can instead of doing something I know I can first. That is why I am starting with a full. I guess I would say I am a runner. I ran 5 half marathons this year and it beat me up (IT injury) so I need to get into something that I can continue running but not just that. Therefore I see Sept. 29, 2007 as my next goal. I only run half marathons because I don't really have an interest in running any fulls (I did one a few years ago and crossed it off my list), even though I could go out today and run a full at a 10 min mile and be fine. It just doesn't interest me. I have the determination to dedicate to training, so I am going to start. Right now I can comfortably swim 1200-1600 meters (in a pool), I can ride for at least an hour (that's all I have attempted) and can run a marathon if I had to. In fact, if I had to, I could go do a sprint today and be fine. It may not be stellar time, but I could cover the distance. I am an exercise physiologist/personal trainer and work at an athletic club so I have access to equipment and swim coaches. So what do you all think, is it still crazy for me to think I can do a full IM?

Thanks in advance, hopefully I will see some of you in September.
Brian

2006-12-15 4:05 PM
in reply to: #625323

User image

Master
Portland, OR
Subject: RE: Going to Tri in Maryland

Here's the thing...it doesn't matter what we think!  If you not only think you can do an IM, but want it more than anything...you'll do it.  Personally, I think you'd have a lot more fun doing the smaller distances first but if you want to shoot for the big show your first time out, then go for it!

I compete for the sense of accomplishment but also for the fun of it.  My family makes fun of me because I always have a goofy smile when I cross the finish line.

I would hire a coach though...you don't have a lot of time to train, especially if you don't like running marathons.  You will need to make every training second count over the next 9 months.

Good luck!
Sharon

PS. And for the record...I think you're nuts!    But will applaud you while you "tri"!

2006-12-15 4:16 PM

User image

Champion

Hi Brian.  I, too, am from Maryland.  The Columbia area, actually.  I'm also doing my first IM race this September, but I'm doing IM Wisconsin at the beginning of September.

I'm assuming that you are talking about doing the full ChesapeakeMan race.  Its a great race and really well run.

I'd recommend maybe picking up an olympic or half-iron distance race earlier in the season just to give you a gauge on your progress leading up to Chessy.

Welcome and Good luck in your training. 

2006-12-29 3:30 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-12-30 7:07 AM

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

First off, welcome to BT. I agree that it realy dose not matter what we think. It is your goal, and you should own it! Now that being said, I would consider doing at least a sprint if not an oly or two this summer. It has nothing to do with racing actualy. For starters, pool lap swimming is drasticly different than the washing machine start of up to 2000 swimmers, trying to make a swim cut off time, all starting at the same time.

Second reason to do a "practice" race is just that, practice. It would be horible to invest the time, money and emotions into a big race like an IM and find out in T2 you forgot to bring extra gels for the run, or to be 1/2 way into the marathon only to realize your bike helmet is still on. I am not suggesting you race for racing sake, but to get out with other triatletes and practice in race conditions.

If you realy do not want a tune up race or 5, than make sure you get your bricks in! Also consider them in at race pace so you can get used to the change of pace. I also second the idea of a personal coach that can realy help you maximize your time this season.

Good luck and happy ridding

2006-12-30 3:05 PM

Expert
Springfield, MO

Even if some would consider it crazy - so what.  I think you can do it, just be careful.

FWIT, a friend of mine that hadn't ran in a year or two went to support another friend and ended up entering and finishing a marathon.

2006-12-30 8:38 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I have a 36 week program that starts January 14. Right now I have been trying to build a base so that I can do week one's workouts. So far so good. For those that suggest doing some shorter races, I am sure I will just for the transitions. I am feeling good so far. Ask me again in mid July when I am at my heaviest training.

To anyone else training, good luck and maybe I will see you on the road!

Brian
2006-12-30 10:20 PM

Pro
Keller, Texas
Hey Brian,  Where in MD are you from?  We just moved to Texas from Columbia 9 months ago
2006-12-30 10:27 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
way to think big...get after it!!
2006-12-31 5:30 PM
in reply to: #637580

I live up in Harford County, MD. Probably about an hour or so from Columbia. Welcome to MD.

Brian
2006-12-31 6:35 PM

Extreme Veteran
North Vancouver, British Columbia

You can do it!  Have fun and welcome to BT.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Going to Tri in Maryland Rss Feed