General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Local Bike Shops -- East Cobb area Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-24 11:19 AM

London
Subject: Local Bike Shops -- East Cobb area
Hi folks,
I'm pretty new to this site and new to tri -- I've run many 10k and 5k's but want to do "My First Tri" in May 07. Quick bio: 40 yrs old, run for 2 years only, three active (BUSY) kids leaving training for 5 am weekdays and weekend mornings.

The swimming shouldn't be too bad for me (over the summer I was in the pool long distances), but I have not been on a bicycle (of any kind) in 20 yrs. I'm frankly not even sure I'll enjoy it! So, I don't want to break the bank on a bike (planning to buy a road bike) -- I've visited Roswell Bicycles and Free Flite -- and I wonder whether anyone has any recommendations or watch-outs -- or ideas for used bikes.

I would also be pleased to hear any advice on which brand of bike, tips or ideas.

Of course, if any of you are also beginners in East Cobb, I can use any motivation I can get!

Thanks!
-- Jeff

2006-12-24 3:44 PM
in reply to: #632594

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: Local Bike Shops -- East Cobb area
Hi Jeff...i know one of the guys at the Free Flight, East Cobb store..his name is Travis Webb...tell him you know Steven... he's a GREAT guy and will stear you the right way...

the only problem i have with Roswell...is their moto seems to be SELL SELL SELL...never really whats in my best interest or take the time to find out..i'd stay clear of shops like that...

as for a used..i personally have a used Cannondale road bike thats two years old....i'm 6'1...so depending on your height we maybe able to talk...if not, check with Travis..he's an awesome guy!

i'm down at Columns drive quite a bit trianing...lets hook up when you get a bike and ride some.

Merry Christas..and welcome to the world of Tris...its VERY addictive!
2006-12-25 12:16 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

Hi Jeff:

Good luck with the bike thing.  Re: which brand of bike, the best thing to do is what you're doing - visit shops and "try on" bikes for fit.  Once you narrow down a few brands/models that might work for you, check out a site like http://www.roadbikereview.com/ to see what others have to say about same.  Then go back to the shop that makes the most sense for you and make the purchase.

Re: LBS's, I don't agree with the previous post about Roswell Bicycles.  I've been in there numerous times over the past year and have NEVER felt like the place is SELL, SELL, SELL.  I ask questions and I feel like I've gotten honest, considerate responses/advice.  When I'm looking to buy something, the guys give me the straight scoop - they show me the range of choices and I've always been able to make a decision w/o feeling pressured to go with one suggestion vs another.  Over the past year I've had my bike serviced there, purchased shoes, tires/tubes, etc. and gotten to know the staff, including the owner Todd, and everybody's always been very friendly/respectful.

HTH and good luck with your training/purchase.

Merry Christmas and Happy '07!

Lou

2006-12-25 10:29 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA

Hey, welcome to the site and the addictive world of triathlons! Our Georgia group is pretty active so you can probably meet up for workouts.

As far as shops go, there's also a Cycleworks store off Johnson Ferry by Parkaire. I've never been there but it's another shop to check out. I've been in Roswell bikes a bunch of times too and I've had both experiences. My husband and I got our mountain bikes there and at the time the staff was friendly and helpful (but definitely wanted to sell.) I went in there by myself when I was looking for a road bike at the beginning of the summer and I couldn't pay anyone to help me. I was serious about buying but couldn't find anyone to help me or answer my questions so I left.

I ended up getting my bike at Performance in Roswell but by that time I knew exactly what I wanted.  One caveat of buying there, they're not experts in fitting so if you need that you'll probably have to go somewhere else and pay for it. (I'm pretty much a do-it-yourself kind of gal so I've done most of my fitting.) I would also echo the above posts, try a bunch of bikes and get the one that fits you the best in your price range. You can also check out Craigslist, sometimes you can find good deals with a little patience.

Again, welcome and happy training!

Mindy

2006-12-25 2:32 PM
in reply to: #632843

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
autigers_1998 - 2006-12-25 10:29 AM

One caveat of buying there, they're not experts in fitting so if you need that you'll probably have to go somewhere else and pay for it.

I completely agree here!!! I am never going back there....

Try Outback Bikes at Euclid Ave on Little5Points -- great knowleagble folks there. Have fun bike shopping and welcome to tri world. Yes, try as many bikes as you can and do not succumb to their sales pitches!

Merry New Year!

A
2006-12-25 8:39 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

I have a relationship with most of the bike shops around the Marietta, Roswell, Alpharetta, Woodstock areas and so I have a pretty good idea about where to go and such.

Roswell Bikes is a great shop, they carry a wide variety of bikes and their staff is very knowledgable.

Free Flight tends to be a bit overpriced and I have never seen the same person in there twice.

Outspokin' in Woodstock has an ever expanding road/tri section and Kevin (the owner) is a Kona finisher so he can steer you in the right direction.

All3sports is our local tri shop, they carry alot of high end stuff. You can pretty much find everything there.

Performance has great prices on gear (and I order alot from them) but wouldn't buy a bike from them simply because they are almost "Wal-martish" with their after sale service.

Cycleworks is the one that I am least familiar with, although they have a solid reputation.

As far as used bikes are concerned, go out and find what size bike you ride and get an idea of what you want and how much you are willing to pay.

Good Luck. 

2006-12-25 9:17 PM
in reply to: #632964

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

Brett:

Any opinion re: Reality Bikes?  Also, is the NAMC meeting on Sept. 11 open to all?  I'm new to this whole tri thing and Chris Zimmer told me about the club.

Thanks!

Lou

2006-12-26 6:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, Georgia
funny to go back and read threads... everyones had a different experience at different places... good luck!
2006-12-26 6:47 AM

London
Wow -- thanks to all for your feedback and support! This does seem like an active group. I will take all this great advice and go visit some shops.

Steven, I am 5'11" -- not sure if that is going to be problematic for your bike size. I need to get to a shop and find out what size I need.

Many thanks again!

-- Jeff
2006-12-26 10:41 AM
in reply to: #632981

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
LHablas - 2006-12-25 10:17 PM

Brett:

Any opinion re: Reality Bikes?  Also, is the NAMC meeting on Sept. 11 open to all?  I'm new to this whole tri thing and Chris Zimmer told me about the club.

Thanks!

Lou

No opinion on Reality Bikes, I am for the most part OTP and only venture ITP when I have too

NAMC meeting is open to everyone and we would love to have you attend. See you on January 11th.

2006-12-26 11:30 AM
in reply to: #633191

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

Thanks for the reply, Reality is actually OTP - Exit 14, go left...like Roswell, owned by a guy named "Todd"...

Here's a link to the web site: http://www.realitybikes.com/

They have an organized ride during DST that runs from the shop on Wed. evenings - ~29 miles, A/B groups (though both are fast), and pretty good crowds.  I rode it a bit in 2005, but schedule didn't permit me to make it this year.  During the winter months they meet at an office park (Shiloh Farms) off Exit 12 and ride a 2.8 mile loop.  "Official" time is 6-8PM, but people start stop anywhere in between.  I've ridden it a couple of times this winter and seems that a number of members of Reality's Road/Tri race teams show.

This said, I don't really know the shop, but the folks I've met during the rides are a pretty nice/accomplished group.

I've got Jan 11 on my calendar.

Enjoy the rest of your holidays.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Local Bike Shops -- East Cobb area Rss Feed