General Discussion Triathlon Talk » good training plan for a Olympic tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-31 11:44 AM

Pro
yep,
Subject: good training plan for a Olympic tri

I'm a little confused by the plans on the site.  I know I have been around for a while but I guess this is one thing I haven't really looked at all that much.  Anywho, I'm stuck on the minutes thing.  Do I just go out and swim for 24 mins or what?  If I bump up to the bronze membership to I get a plan with distance and efforts and such.

Cause if so I'm there.  

Thanks 

2006-12-31 12:50 PM
in reply to: #637808

User image

Houston, TX
Subject: RE: good training plan for a Olympic tri
i think you are gonna have to be at least silver in order to get details more than minutes in your training plan.  i just did a quick look at a plan in bronze and a plan in silver in what you want, Olympic tri, and that is what i saw.
2006-12-31 2:27 PM

User image

Expert
Louisville, KY
The Bronze membership benefits specifically states that you get the "minutes only" training plans.  I think you have hit the Silver level before you get any more detail.  You can select the type of program you are interested in, then select the level of membership and preview the various plans available at each level to make sure you will get what you are after at a specific membership level.
2006-12-31 5:00 PM

Pro
yep,
thats what i figured, does anyone have any plans that they have used and liked so far?
2006-12-31 5:00 PM

Pro
yep,
2006-12-31 5:08 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Get the silver membership - its well worth it. 

2007-01-01 6:18 PM
in reply to: #637969

User image

Houston, TX

Dlaxman31 - 2006-12-31 5:00 PM thats what i figured, does anyone have any plans that they have used and liked so far?

yes, as  a person who used to just do whatever i felt like on any given day, i have found that a training plan that specifies exactly what i am supposed to be doing each day has been very helpful.  course i am injured right now and can't follow any plan but looking foreward to resuming as soon as health allows. 

2007-01-01 7:21 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
The minutes only plans are geared towards people who have a lot of fitness gains to be made. When you're coming from a relatively low level of fitness and looking to do a Sprint or Olympic distance tri, simply putting in the time will result in big gains in speed, endurance, and overall fitness.

In the minutes only plans. '24 minutes' means swim for 24 minutes. What you do during that time is up to you and should have some thought put into it to be as effective as possible. This article has some good information on swim workouts and drills. As running and cycling aren't nearly as technical as swimming just getting out there and putting in the time at a moderate effort level will be more effective for those sports.

For a lot of people who are new to one or all of the sports it's also nice to just focus on putting in the time swimming/biking/running rather than worrying about specifics like what Heart Rate zone to stay in etc. Of course, following a detailed plan will generally result in bigger gains, even for someone starting out.

For my first season, the minutes only plans were great. I went from running 10-11 minute miles to running 9 minute miles over a summer. For my 2nd season I was ready to take it up a notch and went with the detailed plans. I definitely saw more gains than I would have with just a minutes only plan, particularly on the bike.

The silver/gold plans do have distances, but for swim workouts only. The bike and run workouts are still measured in minutes rather than distance. Here are examples of all three from the Beginner Olympic - 8 Week - HR Zone Based training plan:

SWIM WORKOUT
Swim Endurance
Endurance
WU: 300 & then 3x 100 choice (free or non free).
MS:
4x200 pull with 30" rest
8x100 with 15" rest
200 kick
6x100 on 10" rest
CD: 200

BIKE WORKOUT
Trainer
Efficiency
WU: 10'
MS: 1' spin with each leg. One foot is clipped in, the other foot is unclipped, not pedaling. Then spin for 30" easy. Do this cycle 6x or for 15 minutes. After the 6th cycle spin high RPMS (100+) for 5', then repeat with 6 more cycles.
CD: 10'

RUN WORKOUT
Strength
Run 60' on a hilly course or treadmill. Let the HR get up to high Z3/low Z4 on the uphill and keep HR in Zone 1-2 otherwise. Stretch when done and add in Core 1, 2 or 3.

2007-01-01 7:23 PM
in reply to: #638596

Pro
yep,
marmadaddy - 2007-01-01 8:21 PM The minutes only plans are geared towards people who have a lot of fitness gains to be made. When you're coming from a relatively low level of fitness and looking to do a Sprint or Olympic distance tri, simply putting in the time will result in big gains in speed, endurance, and overall fitness.

In the minutes only plans. '24 minutes' means swim for 24 minutes. What you do during that time is up to you and should have some thought put into it to be as effective as possible. This article has some good information on swim workouts and drills. As running and cycling aren't nearly as technical as swimming just getting out there and putting in the time at a moderate effort level will be more effective for those sports.

For a lot of people who are new to one or all of the sports it's also nice to just focus on putting in the time swimming/biking/running rather than worrying about specifics like what Heart Rate zone to stay in etc. Of course, following a detailed plan will generally result in bigger gains, even for someone starting out.

For my first season, the minutes only plans were great. I went from running 10-11 minute miles to running 9 minute miles over a summer. For my 2nd season I was ready to take it up a notch and went with the detailed plans. I definitely saw more gains than I would have with just a minutes only plan, particularly on the bike.

The silver/gold plans do have distances, but for swim workouts only. The bike and run workouts are still measured in minutes rather than distance. Here are examples of all three from the Beginner Olympic - 8 Week - HR Zone Based training plan:

SWIM WORKOUT
Swim Endurance
Endurance
WU: 300 & then 3x 100 choice (free or non free).
MS:
4x200 pull with 30" rest
8x100 with 15" rest
200 kick
6x100 on 10" rest
CD: 200

BIKE WORKOUT
Trainer
Efficiency
WU: 10'
MS: 1' spin with each leg. One foot is clipped in, the other foot is unclipped, not pedaling. Then spin for 30" easy. Do this cycle 6x or for 15 minutes. After the 6th cycle spin high RPMS (100+) for 5', then repeat with 6 more cycles.
CD: 10'

RUN WORKOUT
Strength
Run 60' on a hilly course or treadmill. Let the HR get up to high Z3/low Z4 on the uphill and keep HR in Zone 1-2 otherwise. Stretch when done and add in Core 1, 2 or 3.

thank you for all your help.  In the next few weeks I plan to go silver probably.  Thanks again 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » good training plan for a Olympic tri Rss Feed