General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Shoes/Help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-02 7:59 AM

New user

East County, San Diego
Subject: Running Shoes/Help
Can anyone offer some advise on how long or how many miles you should put on a pair of shoes. Ive used mine for about 6 mo and they don't feel quite the same. My mileage has been approx 12 -16 mi per week since July. The shoes still look solid. ;-)

2004-01-02 9:16 AM
in reply to: #3090

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: RE: Running Shoes/Help
Any where from 250-500 miles. The heavier you are the less miles you should use the same shoes. I would say if they don't feel right, then get new ones. For me, the cushioning and support wear out long before the treads. Start logging the miles on your shoes.You have between 288 and 384 miles, so you are well within range for new ones. Your knees and ankles aren't worth taking a risk with.
2004-01-02 1:30 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
It's time for a new pair!

Still Tri'n,
Michael
2004-01-02 4:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Yup - Count me in on the vote for new. It's somewhere on this stie or in Tri 101 book that I read it is a good idea to use two pair of shoes and alternate them on running days. Something about the shoe recovering (?) I'm no expert on this, but soon as I get a few extra bucks I think I will get the extra shoes. Anyone else do that?
2004-01-02 7:12 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
I have also seen a couple of references to giveing running shoes "a day off". I would love a second pair myself, but for now I will try to bike opposite my running on consecutive days of training. I regards to wear, my sister-in-law minored in excersise phisioligy in colledge. She was telling me that as soon a you start to see destinct signs of wear shoes should be replaced. There still may be plenty of tread, but any inperfectons in your running style will be exasporated with the wear. I am the king of cheep sometimes, but in my opinion don't mess around with foot wear, it's not worth it. Case in point, I work on my feet all day. Ten years ago I would purchase the cheepest foot wear that would do the job. One day I splerged and got a pair of top of the line Red Wing boots. All my lower back and knee problems went away. One final thought. If you have a Bob's store around and you like there running shoes look for sales. I joined the Bob's club and they have lots of buy one get one types of sales perfect for getting two new pairs of shoe.

My twenty one cents, Joe
2004-01-03 5:34 AM

Veteran
Northern IL
Get new shoes, in fact get two pairs as has been recommended here. I speak from experience. I wore shoes longer than I should have, I wore cheaper shoes and now I have some foot problems. As long I wear the correct shoes and replace them after a certain amount of mileage I'm good.

Mike

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Shoes/Help Rss Feed