of 2

2007-01-03 2:45 PM

User image

Expert
Central New York
Subject: Los Angeles Marathon
60 days left.

Anyone else running it?

I finished my 16 mile run today with a fair bit of fuel still left in the tank. HRM monitor has already made me a much more sensible runner in the short time I've been using it. 9:32 per mile isn't going to set any records, but zone 3 feels pretty sustainable.

This is all uncharted territory for me, but I'm comfortable with where I am right now. Can't believe it was only a week an a half ago that things totally fell apart on my 15 miler.

2007-01-03 3:37 PM
in reply to: #640984

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Subject: RE: Los Angeles Marathon
I am training for LAM XXII too. It will be my first marathon. The plan is to continue running 3-4 days a week with a longer run every second week . And cross train by swimming.
I am also running with a Heart rate monitor . I am keeping HR around 140 for the long runs. It has been a really usefull tool.

I hope the weather is very cold and overcast on the day.
2007-01-12 1:33 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Training Run tomorrow Saturday Jan 13th , Anyone in the North Los Angeles area is welcome to take part . Best part . Its Free . Flat ten miler out and back with water fountain a mile 3 (and 7) all on bike path. You will be timed . Three waves . 7 Am for regular Joes like me , 710 am and 720 am for the fastest runners.

From The organizers

BEN'S TEN, TOMORROW, 7 AM OR SO, LOWE'S PARKING LOT, 26415 BOUQUET CANYON ROAD , SANTA CLARITA .
MEET AT THE START OF THE SATURDAY 10 MILE RUN!!!!! You could miss the SuperBowl. You could miss March madness. You could miss the Foothill League finals in Track...You cannot, must not, should not, in no way, shape, form, design, intend, plan, attempt, or insinuate missing Ben's Ten!!!! Yeah, it's that important.

You want to be injured all of 2007? Then miss Ben's Ten. You want to walk at the end of your next marathon? Then miss Ben's Ten. You want run a 5K PR and then find out the course is short? Then miss Ben's Ten. You want to hear crap from everyone at Starbucks for the rest of this year? Then miss Ben's Ten. Do something worthwhile for once in your sorry life. Make your family proud. Be a hero to your son or daughter. Make a statement...declare your manliness! Be there!!!! (If you miss the (funny) signs, nobody will tell you what they were all about...Is it worth the torment?
2007-01-13 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
Central New York
Hope you had fun today out there on Ben's Ten (sounds dirty).

I did a 17 miler today which went well. Slower than dirt (9:48/mile), but I finished strong with no discomfort or soreness. Still haven't tested mysef above 20, but the base appears to be deepening and the joints are holding up well.

Avg. HR today = 138.

50 days left.

Edited by Xan 2007-01-13 4:21 PM
2007-01-13 10:26 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
I had intended to go easy fo the ten miler but could not resist to race it. The organizers had set it like a handicap race where slower group go first , then 10 minutes later group 2 leaves and then the last group consisting of Kenyan gazelles 20 minutes after us. I can tell you the motivation was there to go fast and hard from the get go , Screw the negative split thing . It was pretty much a really long 5K race and see how long before I start falling apart . It became really hard to hold the fast pace as the miles added up.. I did really good and beat my time from last year by over six minutes .
I am a little sore and stiff all over , more than after the 18 miler. So I will push back my next long run until next Sunday.

(Benten-.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Benten-.jpg (85KB - 24 downloads)
2007-01-14 11:02 AM
in reply to: #653876

User image

Expert
Central New York
van_paulus - 2007-01-13 8:26 PM

I did really good and beat my time from last year by over six minutes.

Woot! Well done!

2007-01-22 12:45 AM

User image

Expert
I'm doing the LA Bike Tour
2007-01-22 11:52 PM

User image

Santa Monica, CA
Hi! The LA Marathon will be my first marathon. I started training with the LA Leggers back in August '06 and have loved it. Met a lot of great people and was finally able to run longer and longer distances (I would have never done it alone). We train on the Strand between Santa Monica and Playa Del Rey. So far we've made it up to 23 miles, and this last weekend's run was 18 miles. In two weeks we hit 26 miles and then taper until the marathon. I run at an 11-minute pace. For short distances like 5Ks I tend to run 9:30-10 minute pace, but cannot keep that up on the longer distances. Am learning a lot about my body's limits, that's for sure. Can't wait for the big day!
2007-01-23 4:36 PM
in reply to: #664286

User image

Expert
Central New York
elizorbeth - 2007-01-22 9:52 PM

Hi! The LA Marathon will be my first marathon. I started training with the LA Leggers back in August '06 and have loved it. Met a lot of great people and was finally able to run longer and longer distances (I would have never done it alone). We train on the Strand between Santa Monica and Playa Del Rey. So far we've made it up to 23 miles, and this last weekend's run was 18 miles. In two weeks we hit 26 miles and then taper until the marathon. I run at an 11-minute pace. For short distances like 5Ks I tend to run 9:30-10 minute pace, but cannot keep that up on the longer distances. Am learning a lot about my body's limits, that's for sure. Can't wait for the big day!

Glad you chimed in. I thought there would be more BTers registered for the race, but evidently it's only a few.

Sounds as if your training has gone well. I'm very impressed by the mileage you're logging. My plan is pretty modest by comparison. I'll be going out for my first 20 miler this weekend, and I don't expect to eclipse that mark by much before the race. My knees have been problematic in the past, and I'd rather be a little undertained and healthy at the start, than gimpy with all sorts of great training tales.

Anyway, it's been a great learning experience so far. Good luck with the rest of your training.
2007-01-23 5:01 PM
in reply to: #664286

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
elizorbeth - 2007-01-22 9:52 PM

Sounds like you are having a great experience training with the Leggers . You are so right : A good support group is so important especially when you start getting into those longer runs. With the help and encouragement of my running group I have been diversifying my training with hills , track , dirt and variety of distances from 200m to 20km .
I think it will intoxicating to go on March 4th as we will share the experience with 25000 other runners.
And its really memorable to run through Los Angeles with no car traffic. I did it in the LA Triathlon and I look forward to this race too..
2007-01-27 5:40 PM

User image

Expert
Central New York
First training run in excess of 20 miles this morning. A little bit of stiffness has set this afternoon, but I felt pretty good out there. Ran through a calf cramp at mile 8, and then started to loosen up again at mile 10. Wasn't the fastest run ever, but this does a lot for my confidence. One more long run next weekend (22 miles), and then I start tapering off. Can't believe I've made it this far on knees I thought were pretty much shot three years ago.

20.44 miles.

3 hrs, 6 mins.

9:07 per mile.

36 more days.

Woot!

2007-01-31 3:31 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Sounds very solid XAn ,
I have been doing a lot of cross training , Last saturday I ran the hilly Chinatown 10K course with a group from work , which was lot of fun , The actual race is in 11 days . I will go for a high mileage run this saturday with my club. And keep my pace at around 75% effort. And perhaps join the Student Run LA for the 18 miler run at Hansen Dam on Sunday .
Weather and Mood depending
2007-02-03 5:53 AM
in reply to: #674582

User image

Santa Monica, CA
Hi van_paulus, you mentioned you run with a group; what group do you run with? I'm just interested in finding what running groups are in and around LA and seeing what their training is like.

Thanks!
Elizabeth
2007-02-03 2:44 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
The group i run with is called Santa clarita runners , there is a nice web site , easy to find if you google it.
There are four workouts a week as well as other events . like trail runs or 5K and the like.
I try to make one per week as i like the company especially on the long runs .
Its very affordable $35 year . Most members i have met live around Santa Clarita and some really dedicated ones drive in from Palmdale. Its a very friendly group. A few cross train and do triathlons also.

The sunday morning group trains year round and right now of course is training for LAM so I try and follow their schedule for the long runs.

Today was a MPace long run for me and it went well . My Last Biggy Run will be in two weeks .

- Paul
2007-02-06 2:11 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Only 27 Days Left ! But feeling really good about my chances do run the distance.
I did 26+ miles between Saturday and Sunday last weekend to get a handle on the full distance.
Second Day was really tough and tested my willpower.
My Mpace is 10 min /mile which should get me in around 4:20 .
Big key will be to keep HR around 140 and keep taking in calories and water.

Should be a memorable Day .
2007-02-06 3:46 PM
in reply to: #681513

User image

Expert
Central New York
I'm getting totally psyched. Only one long run left on my training schedule, which is coming up this weekend. After that, it's taper and recovery and the easy life. Ahhh.

Can't believe how close we are now.

It will be difficult (for me) not to go into full dork/spaz/rookie mode as we get inside two weeks.

2007-02-06 4:05 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
My taper For LAM will be to switch to Cycling and swimming in the final two weeks of February. That will keep me sane and my legs fresh.
I have the 10K race next weekend . The hilly Firecracker 10 k through Chinatown and up around Elysian Park. Nice Views !
There is a nice group from work doing it. Should be fun and I really look forward to dim sum and beer afterwards .
Will of course try and convert all of them over to triathlon ....
2007-02-06 7:07 PM
in reply to: #681814

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
I am jealous! I would love to be doing that event. Next year perhaps.

Xan strongly advised me against doing it so close to the CA HIM that is a few weeks later and I listened to him.

2007-02-06 8:37 PM

User image

Santa Monica, CA
Wow, it's getting so close! We ran 26 miles this past weekend and I survived! What's strange is that it didn't even take me as long to recover as some of my shorter runs not that long ago. Maybe the training is finally paying off. I think what hurts the worst are the top inner parts of my feet, and the bottom outsides of my feet. I'm curious, what body parts take the longest to recover on all of you??
2007-02-06 10:26 PM
in reply to: #681991

User image

Expert
Central New York
GolfMark - 2007-02-06 5:07 PM

Xan strongly advised me against doing it so close to the CA HIM that is a few weeks later and I listened to him.

Shouldn't have stuck my nose in since my expertise is so limited.

On the other hand, if racing 26.2 leaves me so hobbled I can't make it to the line for 70.3 later in the month, then my original advice will have been prescient. It still remains to be seen.

I've been having IT Band issues for the past several weeks. Very strange really. I don't have any pain or discomfort DURING my runs, but there is tenderness and soreness at the outside of my right knee (just below the joint) AFTER which I take to be the beginning of ITBS. Seems to go away in a day or two with some ice and time off, but I'm feeling it after relatively shorts runs now (12 and 14 miles), which can't be a good sign. Hopefully, I can make it through one more week of base training, and then enjoy the benefits of three weeks of taper and recovery.

Edited by Xan 2007-02-06 10:27 PM
2007-02-10 3:05 PM

User image

Expert
Central New York
22 miles done, the majority of them slower than dirt. Run time = 3:36:01.

Felt sluggish from the beginning and knew I was in for a rough morning by the midway point. Really started to suffer at miles 17-18. Cranked up my iPod a bit to drown out the sound of my own whimpering, and shuffled along eating "fitness gels" and hoping for a miracle.

Never happened. Just plodded through in a state of profound fatigue for the last couple of miles which took me up and over a couple of big hills. Walked thorugh the door to my crib and inhaled a couple of donuts and downed a quart of water with electrolytes.

On the bright side: no orthopedic discomfort to speak of.

Three weeks until race day. Time now for rest and healing. I'm sure I'll be bouncing off the walls in a week's time, chomping at the bit, raring to go.

2007-02-10 7:16 PM
in reply to: #686385

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Great job. Finishing 22 miles period is an accomplishment. You will rock the race.
2007-02-22 11:42 AM

User image

Expert
Central New York
10 days left!

A few short runs, and packet pick-up will be upon us.

Anyone else feeling as squirrely as I am?

2007-02-22 1:08 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
XAn you are not alone .
I registered yesterday ! Thats how squirrely I have felt . Last month and a half I Kept thinking I would skip LAM and do Agoura Hills Half instead. But good things happen when I venture outside my confort zone . 3 years ago I could not run 1 mile. Next week I will running a marathon . Shooting for a 4:20 finish .
Only trouble i am having is with my newer shoes . Still getting blisters when i run past an hour.
Will probably switch to my older shoes for my last long run this weekend and see how they feel.
I will be happy if the temp is cool like today on MArch 4th . SUN : stay away !

Will be carpooling to Universal and taking the subway back afterwards .

See you there

Edited by van_paulus 2007-02-22 1:08 PM
2007-02-23 5:24 PM
in reply to: #699525

User image

Expert
Central New York
Funny you mention the shoes. I bought my "race" shoes a few weeks ago, but still can't decide whether or not it was a mistake. Though I'd been warned not to, I bought something I hadn't worn before (Asics Kayano XII). Still not perfectly comfortable after 90 miles, but I feel like it's too late now to contemplate a change.

Anyway, I'm starting to over-analyze everything, including the shoes. Every little twinge, every little change in mood, every difficulty I have sleeping, I keep relating it back to the marathon, which I'm sure must be a typical rookie mistake. I keep wondering about the extent of my knee troubles, wondering if I am coming down with a cold, questioning what I'm eating. It's ridiculous, really.

Think I'll just try to mellow out and enjoy what's left of the training. Race day will bring whatever it brings.

Good luck to all the BT entrants!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Los Angeles Marathon Rss Feed  

of 2