General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone done the Peachtree International Tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-10 7:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Subject: Anyone done the Peachtree International Tri?
Hey, y'all
Could someone who's done the PTC International Tri let me know if it's a good one for a
green(still new to the sport) triathlete to race. I did the PTC sprint in '06, so is it just a longer
version of that? Also, what are lake temps like in mid May in GA?
I want to get in two Olys this summer and I love the Chattanooga Waterfront, so if the reviews
come back good, this may be my other one.
Thanks for your time,
TJ

2007-01-10 7:53 PM
in reply to: #649948

User image

Veteran
Smyrna
Subject: RE: Anyone done the Peachtree International Tri?

Hey TJ - The Peachtree International Tri is actually an inaugural event this year, so you won't find anyone who's done it.   Looks like www.tri4gold.org will have more details and course maps to come.  You also might be able to post to the forum on www.tri-ptc.com and see if anyone there has information on the course.

Hope that helps a little!

Rebecca

2007-01-10 7:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
I wondered why I hadn't seen anything about this race all last year when I was on Tri-PTC's
website. Thanks for pointing that out to me. I assume it will be in the same lake and along
the same roads and cart paths as their sprint tri is... only longer.
The May date appeals to me since I almost died in Chattanooga last July because of the
heat.
Thanks again,
TJ
2007-01-10 8:37 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock

I got an email that said they would be holding weekly practices on the course starting in mid march I think on wednesday nights. It is hosted by the tri ptc club and is open to all. It gives you a great opportunity to run the course at your own speed, they do the same thing for the sprint- almost makes me want to live in peachtree city! Cool

Maybe one of the PTC people can chime in on this with details- I dont see it on the website yet. 

2007-01-11 7:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Hey, Cornelius
Last year I thought about going down to PTC for one of their Wed night practices, but for those of us north of Atlanta its tough right after work. But I think before the May Oly it would be wise for me to go at least once.
By the way, if you're in to sprints, PTC's sprint was awesome! All levels of athletes, and I loved running on cart paths. The more experienced triathlete may think it was hilly, but I liked it.
TJ
2007-01-11 7:55 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA

Hey TJ, first off welcome to the site! Second, this is the first year for this event but everyone has said tri-PTC puts on a great race. (as you've seen )

It seems to me the event is just double that of the sprint race, especially since the bike course is 26 miles and not the normal 40k for an Oly. I'm probably wrong but that's what I guessed. The course map should be available soon. As far as temps go, it will probably depend on what kind of spring we have. At the Tri the Parks race in April last year it was chilly enough for a wetsuit but at Yargo in May the athletes were split 50/50. Since this is a longer race early in the season there's a decent chance wetsuits will be allowed.

You did Chattanooga last year? I remember it was hot that weekend, would you do that race again? I'm considering it for another Oly this season but I'm undecided. What was your take on the race? Was that your first race or first Oly?

Mindy

2007-01-11 8:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Mindy,
I've got patients to see now, so check back in a while and I'll respond to your last post.
TJ
2007-01-11 12:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Mindy,
To get back to your questions...
Yes, I did the Chatt. Waterfront Tri last year. It was my very very first ever tri. As a guy who took the sport up to lose weight, I quickly realized at the transition set up that I may be over my head. I had the ONLY mountain bike of the entrants, and by the time I left T2 the temp was near 97 degrees with 90% humidity...so yes, that weekend was HOT! Thank God for the COLD STONE CREAMERY next door to transition...it saved my life.
But looking back I was underprepared and under equiped. So, Yes, I've already signed up for the race this year with the goal of crushing my time in '06.
A more experienced tri racer will give you a better review of the course, but I thought it was tough. The river had ZERO current that day so the swim was every inch they promised, biking over a dam was hard, and the run has alot of climbing the first and last 1/2 mile because its all near the aquarium, but if I finished last year I'm sure most people can do it.
I hope that helps,
TJ
2007-01-11 1:19 PM
in reply to: #650874

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Thanks. I was hoping for a newbie's perspective on the race and that's what I got. I know a bunch of people who have done this race and I just can't make up my mind. The heat is a big factor for everyone, it is July afterall! Anyway, thanks for your responses and welcome to the site!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone done the Peachtree International Tri? Rss Feed