General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What weight training to add??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-03 10:09 AM

User image

Expert
England
Subject: What weight training to add???

I'm looking at adding a weights element to my training to build some muscle/power but am wondering how to incorporate it into my schedule? I've lost 21lbs of fat recently and am now 172 lbs/16% BF and want to add some lean muscle while losing those last few pounds of fat.

I'm currently do a cycle of swim/bike/run/rest each day and am beginning to get used to that much activity and thinking about how best to add weights. I looked at Ron's prog on the site but this is too much for me right now as I dont have much time (perhaps 2 sessions per week) and probably would end up well overtrained, so am looking to a design a focused programme for max benefit and have a couple of questions:

1. Which muscles/groups will give the best returns on my time when the focus is sprint tri's?

2. Which activity days should I add them in? Can it be done on 'rest' days or should these be total rest?

3. My legs feel well worked from my current rides/runs so is adding squats etc going to be overtraining them?

4. I have a home Total Gym that replicates most exercises pretty well (& is v convenient) and wondered what exercises and approach people have the most success with eg heavy weight/low reps or higher reps/low weight?

I know this is probably a personal thing but would value people's input.

Thanks BP

2004-01-03 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3145

New user

East County, San Diego
Subject: RE: What weight training to add???
I am not an expert by any means on this stuff but this is how I feel on this.
I beleive you are working your leg muscles enough with the run and bike portions of your training. I would start with a general upper body routine to add some strength to your shoulders for the swim. This will also build your overall strength and posture.
A workout of 30-40 min should work for now. Try some arm curls with dumbells and go for 6 sets with a weight that you can do 12-15 reps. Do some bench presses at the same level. I would also recommend your basic pushups again do as many sets/reps as you can without tearing yourself up too much. As you get stronger maybe add some pull ups. These exercises with your own bodyweight build good strength. Lastly do some ab work as you use these muscles for all the disciplines.The higher reps will give you better endurance and leaner muscle mass.
As far as the scheduling you'll have to see how your body deals with the strength training. I would probably try it on the swim days if you're not going too long. If you swim in the am. do strength in evening.etc.
Hope this made some sense. ;-)
2004-01-03 3:00 PM

New user
lake chelan ,wa
greetings!
there is a section in the new issue of inside triathalon magazine that somewhat addresses your question. it is taken from the "triathlete's training bible" by joe friel.
it brings out that muscles can become disproportionatly strong due to the back and forth motions during our training. it sugests some strength training. maybe someone with the book can pipe in and give us the low down, the skinny, the whats forth about all of this stuffffs. or spend the afternoon reading it at the book store.
rick
2004-01-05 7:30 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
It depends on your goals. Do you want to only do tri specific weight training or do you want to build muscle to get a little bigger and look better overall (bodybuilding on small scale). To start this year, I will weight train twice a week doing upper body one day and lower body the other. Each day will take about 45 minutes using HIIT training. I want to maintain the muscle I have and get that pump back to look better. My workouts do include the recommended tri exercises as well as some others for overall body.Joe Friels's book and others have tri specific weight training that is an overall body workout to do 2-3 times a week.

I disagree about the legs though. You do need to build some strength in them. I'm not saying max lifting, but good moderate intensity workouts to build some strength without trying to get huge.
2004-01-05 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3189

User image

Expert
England

Thanks all - I got hold of a copy of the 'tri bible' and thought the weights sessions looked appropriate. Like you said Cam, I have to admit part of it is vanity muscle/definition I'm after. Now I've lost my flabby middle and got a decent 'V' physique starting, I'd like to build on it a little so will add biceps/triceps into the routine and probably a shoulder press as well. I'll experiment with reps/weights alittle but will try and follow the periodization plan Friel suggests as i have 4 months until my first event.

Time to put some back on.........

2004-01-05 12:05 PM
in reply to: #3194

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Sounds like a good plan! I just did my first workout in a few months today after my first swim and can already feel it even though I stayed very light!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What weight training to add??? Rss Feed