General Discussion Triathlon Talk » random swimming thought Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-03 4:02 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
Subject: random swimming thought
back from a swimming workout and realized that although many of us come from a swimming background, i now really understand how imperative it is to be well-conditioned in the pool. As they say, "you can't win the race in the water, but you can certainly lose it."

my first triathlon last september, i made a rookie mistake. i took the swim out very hard, and had no gas right from the beginning in the bike. obviously this was due to bad strategy, however i wasn't in good conditioning whatsoever since i had only begun training a few weeks prior. i'm looking forward to racing hard this April 18th, my first triathlon of the season, and i know my swimming has to be on top of the game to be competitive.

2004-01-04 12:13 AM
in reply to: #3151

User image

Expert
England
Subject: RE: random swimming thought
Good comment - I once heard an experienced triathlete comment that you should treat the swim as a warmup and leave the pool more refreshed than when you started. I always use this as a yardstick for my progress but it'll be a while before I can swim a decent pace and still achieve this!
2004-01-04 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Great points, both of you.
Many people think they need to be FAST in the swim.
Having a fast swim doesn't mean much in most tri races!
You're much better off having a LONG stroke than swimming fast. The fewer strokes you take to complete the swim, the more energy you will have for the "meat and potatoes" of your race.

For more on stroke lengthening and other helpful tri-swimming tips, visit my site at www.triswimcoach.com.

Cheers,
Kevin
2004-01-04 10:59 PM

User image

Champion
yup....if your a water churner or inefficient, just lengthening your stroke and making you more streamlined will hold or improve your speed while dramatically deacreasing your current energy expenditure...i am eating...soon to be swimming the info up in 'total immersion'....one of the many improvements too make like the tri e swim coach mentioned. 
2004-01-06 5:50 AM

I'm feeling like a bit of a slacker after reading all this. I come from a swimming background and have been trying to concentrate on cycling and running in the off season, leaving swimming for the last couple of months before the season. Perhaps I am making a mistake and should start training sooner? Not really sure, I know my run needs work, but how much do I neglect my swim before it comes back to haunt me in a race? I'm a new comer to triathlons, but looking forward to racing next year and taking on an Ironman at the end of August in Korea.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » random swimming thought Rss Feed