General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Bike Training On O'ahu Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-18 2:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: IM Bike Training On O'ahu
I'd be interested to hear if anyone has trained for an IM here in HI, on O'ahu...

Can't seem to find any sort of roadway that is fairly car/truck free???

Where do you do your bike training? When?

CP2K

2007-01-18 9:11 AM
in reply to: #658843

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Subject: RE: IM Bike Training On O'ahu
Ask Shaved Wookie, he lives in Kailua (I think). The only places that I can really think that would be suitable are up on North Shore out toward Dillingham Airfield and maybe over on the Windward side. Around Honolulu, I think I read something about people doing laps around Kapiolani Park (not sure of the distance). Down around Pearlridge and that area there really isn't a place to ride, way too much traffic.
2007-01-19 12:57 AM
in reply to: #659020

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Doing laps around K-park? Oh boy. That is almost as bad as doing "laps" inside Bellows Air Force Rec Area in Waimanalo -- which is actually very safe and scenic, if you can handle a 6 mile rountrip over and over again. D-ham and the road to Kaena Pt have been recommended, again, it is a relatively short roundtrip.

Hmmmmmmmm...maybe I have to get a trainer...

2007-01-19 5:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
This is of high interest to me as I'll be at Tripler for 4 weeks between IM LP and IM Moo. Partly I'll be racing Moo on fitness built for LP but I can't be a total slug either. I'm flying one of my bikes w/ me but am unsure how I'm going to get my Kurt trainer(31 lbs ship wt) there too. Was hoping I wouldn't need it but this thread concerns me.
2007-01-19 9:37 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
If you are military or have the credentials to get on a military installation, you can go up to Schofield and ride around there. There is a great climb (Kole Kole Pass) at the back of the post. We used to run back there all the time. Basically around the Pearl Harbor, Pearlridge area and in town Honolulu there isn't much of a place to ride. You are going to have to be creative. There are some great climbs around (Pali Lookout is one) but its a 4 lane highway so you are going to have to be really careful. North Shore is cool, but the roads are kinda narrow up in those parts.
2007-01-19 10:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
So you're saying I should try for the Inn at Schofield Barracks rather than Tripler House when setting up temp housing? Yes, I have a military ID and will be on orders.

Still sounds like I'll be doing trainer time though as I don't know when my 'free' time will fall. I really hate the idea of having to haul my luggage of stuff for a month plus a bike box plus the trainer through the airport though. Shipping it would be a PIA too. Got 6 months to figure it out I guess. Maybe my packing list will consist of ACUs, Class A/Bs, S/B/R stuff and maybe 2 sets of civvies and I can get it all into one bag and then count on doing frequent laundry and then my second piece of allowed luggage will be the trainer. The bike doesn't count- that's going to cost me extra money no matter what.

2007-01-20 7:52 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Are you going to have transportation between Schofield and Tripler? That is not a commute to do by bike. WAAYYY to much traffic. There are some fantastic hills around the Tripler area, I am not sure how "bike friendly" it is though.
2007-01-20 8:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I think the orders can be cut to allow for a 'shared' rental car if not being housed in close proximity to the hospital. Don't rate an individual rental car though. Thanks for your help. It's been 16 years since I've been to Pearl/Honolulu and I was severely transportation challenged that time too- thank god for the around island bus although we only had one free weekend before sailing.
2007-01-21 2:37 PM
in reply to: #661973

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Hey man, I trained for IM NZ 06 (the failed IM due to high winds and insurance agents) and well I found Bellows on the windward side to be the safest place to ride.

However, you can eek out a pretty safe ride on Hickam AFB that is 14+ miles roundtrip and best ridden on weekend mornings or anytime on Sunday. Starts at the Hickam gym and winds out past the marina, golf course, and to the base control tower and back. You can get water or tinkle at the marina. Traffic is minimal (reltaively) the road is well kept and though flat, the trades are against you one way and with you on the way back. You can make it an 18 mile round trip by including Pearl Harbor and the submarine base -- very quiet on Sundays.

North Shore has the "seven mile hill" -- it has a wide shoulder now but is 7 miles of steep uphill with no flats. Heavily travelled but only two lanes. Again, shoulder is wide, I see others doing de temps en temps.

The gym at Pearl Harbor (bloch arena) has decent bike trainers (yellow LeMond trainers.) At least they did last October, still. They were my best riding when without my bike.

Rocketman mentions Schofield -- that may very well be worth a look see. Have not been through there in ages. Which makes it worth checking to see if Lualualei Naval Reserve on the far side of the rock will let you on to ride there. Although out of the way, that place would have a long ride and no traffic. None. Hot and dry hill and flats. I should check that out also.

Only here for a month -- you could probably make due without the trainer. Tough to ride out here.

Hickam AFB with the Pearl Harbor extension is the safest and longest I know of. Today my bike arrives.

Best of luck and if I find out about Lualualei and Schofield, I'll drop you a note.

CP2K

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Bike Training On O'ahu Rss Feed