General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero position: Pressure on forearms Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-22 2:41 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-01-22 2:46 AM
in reply to: #662880

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Aero position: Pressure on forearms
Doesn't sound normal to me. Whether I ride steep, shallow, no spacers, with spacers, 10 miles, 100 miles, I've had pains and aches but never on my forearms.

How long can you ride until the pain? How are the pads, are they pretty thick or do you feel like it's a pretty hard surface?
2007-01-22 3:33 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-01-22 7:22 AM

Expert
Dallas, TX
you really shouldn't have a lot of weight on your arms at all. Your core should be doing all the work--you should be able to get in the aero by just using your abs--practice by staying in that position without even putting your arms on the pads.
2007-01-22 7:24 AM
in reply to: #662888

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
How long have you been using the aerobars or did you buy them used? Since your arms are one of the places where you make contact with the bike if the pads are worn out it can cause major discomfort.

Shane
2007-01-22 7:36 AM

Veteran
Fredericksburg, VA
Try adjusting the bars so the pads are closer to your elbows.

2007-01-22 10:25 AM

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
As donpett suggested, it may be a case of "this is what happens" when you're adding aero clip-ons to a road bike (from your pic in your avatar it looks like you're riding a road bike). You have to keep the base pretty stretched out to maintain the roadie position, so when you add clips, and position the extensions appropriately, the distance from your hands to the pads is fairly small. You end up having yo hold on tight with your hands (stressing the for-arms) in order to keep the elbows from falling behind the bars, because the pads are about half-way between your hands and your elbows.

Not saying this IS the case (since I haven't seen your set-up), just that it MIGHT be.
2007-01-22 10:46 AM

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

I don't think there is any way that you're getting a buildup of lactic acid in your arms.  My guess is that the problem is due more to how your arm position is impacting nerves in your arm and it results in a numbing sensation (similar to how some people's hands go numb riding in a road position).

Contrary to what someone posted above, you don't want your core doing a lot of work trying to maintain an aero position.  If your core is working hard, then you're probably too stretched out.  Furthermore, you DO want weight being supported by your arms.  HOWEVER, you don't want muscles to be doing the work - you want your skeletal system supporting the weight.  You achieve that by trying to get the 90 degree bend at your elbow.  When I'm in an aero position (I have a road bike with clipons) I have a 90 degree bend, my bones are supporting the weight, and there is very little tension in my hands.  In other words, I don't have to grip the aerobars with a lot of pressure to maintain my position.  You may have to play around with the pad positioning to get the right feel for your arms so that you don't get the numbing sensation. 

2007-01-22 11:16 AM
in reply to: #663229

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Definitely agree with the above. The whole point of aerobars is to get in a nice low position without having to work at it. I have never heard anyone ever say that you should be supporting yourself with your core. That makes no sense. You should be supporting yourself with your skeleton, as it requires the least effort.

I'd look at moving your pads back. Since the goal is having your bones support you, you need to have the pads in a place where that can happen. Too far forward, and you're going to have to use muscles to keep your arms on the pads.
2007-01-22 11:27 AM

Master
portland, or
I don't know that I can add much to what the last three posts stated. If riding a road geometry bike, you're almost forced to ride with a shorter bar set-up to prevent you're being stretched out (which would cause other discomfort problems and bike handling issues). Thus you're going to be supporting your weight on your forearms.

You can try playing around with some other pads, or adding some additional foam to see if it alleviates the problem. If you have any fore-aft adjustability, try making a slight adjustment one way or the other. A small movement may make a big impact if you're pressing on a nerve.

It may be something that you simply need to adapt to.

I can say with confidence that it's NOT lactic acid, nor do you want to be holding yourself in an aero position with your "core".

scott
2007-01-22 11:30 AM
in reply to: #663282

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

I'll throw out something different here ........ what angle is your seat at relative to the ground??

If You are on a trainer when this happens, is the front of the bike raised up to the level of the rear wheel in the trainer? (i.e. some sort of wheel block for the front wheel).

2007-01-22 1:15 PM
in reply to: #662939

Regular
sebjamesm - 2007-01-22 6:22 AM

you really shouldn't have a lot of weight on your arms at all. Your core should be doing all the work--you should be able to get in the aero by just using your abs--practice by staying in that position without even putting your arms on the pads.

Anyone with riding experience will notice more 'pressure' on the forearms in the aero position when riding SLOW. This position isn't used for a person casually pedaling - say under 10 MPH in a low gear. When we do this, alot of weight IS shifted forward, causing an uncomfortable experience for a new rider.

When a person is riding at 20 MPH using a high gear, there is more relief from the forearms on the aerobars - Greater usage of leg strength. Same holds true staying in the aero position at a slower speed in a lower gear on a hill. The legs are being used more, less pressure from the torso/forearms.

Regarding SEBJAMESM's quote, I think this is what he means by saying "your core should be doing all the work." If not, I dunno........
2007-01-22 1:47 PM
in reply to: #663460

Expert
Dallas, TX
Daugela - 2007-01-22 1:15 PM

Anyone with riding experience will notice more 'pressure' on the forearms in the aero position when riding SLOW. This position isn't used for a person casually pedaling - say under 10 MPH in a low gear. When we do this, alot of weight IS shifted forward, causing an uncomfortable experience for a new rider.

When a person is riding at 20 MPH using a high gear, there is more relief from the forearms on the aerobars - Greater usage of leg strength. Same holds true staying in the aero position at a slower speed in a lower gear on a hill. The legs are being used more, less pressure from the torso/forearms.

Regarding SEBJAMESM's quote, I think this is what he means by saying "your core should be doing all the work." If not, I dunno........

Yeah, something like that. You really don't want to be resting the majority of your weight on your forearms
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero position: Pressure on forearms Rss Feed