General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training groups in north dallas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-26 12:09 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: training groups in north dallas

I'm looking to see what training groups are in the north dallas area. I do usually train for marathons with a group that meets at white rock lake but I'm in The Colony so I'm hoping to find something closer. Is there a membership fee for the groups in this area?? THe tri group that Luke's recommends is a bit pricey for me so..........

• ...I think what I'll end up doing is getting the Gold membership to do most of the training and hopefully be able to join in some of the group things I see posted here. I just hate to spend money twice for the same thing. So I guess I'm mostly looking for affirmation that, while this makes sense to me, it is a good plan

• Thanks

Gary

2007-01-26 4:08 PM
    in reply to: #669046

User image

Expert
    Plano, TX
    Subject: RE: training groups in north dallas

It's a good plan. 

I haven't found a strong tri group that meets regularly as far north as we are (I'm in north Plano.)  However, if you're primary focus is running, you can check out the Plano Pacers.  They have races of various distances each month.  In addition, you'd probably hook up with other runners to train with.  I know there are some informal training runs as well.

There are several BTers in the Plano, McKinney, and Frisco area that I know of and it's reasonable to think that you'll be able to find a few to meet up with.  Also, Richardson Bike Mart ("RBM" in Frisco (off Preston and Lebanon) has a group ride on Saturday mornings.

2007-01-26 4:26 PM

User image

Champion
    the colony texas
    Thanks for the info.. Biking is the one thing that worries me the most, Since I forget that I don't have the acceleration that my motorcycle does. I've done a couple of marathons and a few half's so I'm not to worried about how to build mileage and tweaking a running schedule. I fugure that during a race the bike part would be 50% of my time so I was thinking that I should spend more time training for that, but finding a place to get some miles in on the bike during daylight hours is my main challenge right now..

I totally forgot that RBM has a Frisco store.. thank you for the info.

Hope to see you around

Gary
    2007-01-26 4:48 PM

User image

Dallas
    There’s an active group in the Mckinney/Allen area. Their site is www.peakenduranceclub.com (not too functional, I’m afraid.) Ring or email the lady listed as their contact person. She’s very helpful/resourceful. And, Fit2train (www.fit2train.com) has its north group in that area too.
    2007-01-27 5:08 AM

User image

Veteran
    Russell, KS
    I'm in the Carrollton area. I'd like to know if there are membership fees for the training groups. Does anyone know?

It seems like you just show up and train with everyone. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
    2007-01-27 6:20 PM

User image

Champion
    Dallas, TX
    I know the Dallas Athletes have started a training group in North Dallas. You might want to check out their website and see about their options.

The Greater Dallas Bicyclists and Plano Bicycle Association both put on great group rides in the DFW area.

2007-01-27 6:22 PM
    in reply to: #669552

User image

Champion
    Dallas, TX
    grnidone - 2007-01-27 5:08 AM

I'm in the Carrollton area. I'd like to know if there are membership fees for the training groups. Does anyone know?

It seems like you just show up and train with everyone. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Hello! I live in Carrollton too.

Which groups are you talking about specifically?

I know with the Dallas Athletes, they like for people who show up to train, to also pay membership dues. As for the cycling clubs, they don't really care. But at $10 a year for a cycling club, it's not a big deal to pitch in and pay.

Otherwise, the groups we have tried to put together here.... for rides... are free.

2007-01-31 11:37 AM

User image

Expert
    Plano, TX

If it's cycling you want, check out the Plano Bicycling Association.  They've got numerous weekly group rides on Saturdays and Sundays, and a few on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  Anyone is welcome to ride, although membership is cheap ($18/year) if you want to attend some of the parties and special events/rides.

I think you can find routes posted on their website, too, if you want to ride them yourself.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training groups in north dallas Rss Feed