General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training in Southern Maryland? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-31 12:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD
Subject: Training in Southern Maryland?
I live in Calvert County, Maryland (Owings/Dunkirk/North Beach). I'm trying to find a tri group that trains in this area. Does anyone have any leads? The groups I have found online are toward Annapolis or Baltimore which are too far away. I also work in DC, but I don't think I can make the workouts for the group I've found online there.

Laurie

2007-01-31 1:10 PM
in reply to: #674246

User image

Master
SMIBville
Subject: RE: Training in Southern Maryland?
klgray - 2007-01-31 1:07 PM

I live in Calvert County, Maryland (Owings/Dunkirk/North Beach). I'm trying to find a tri group that trains in this area. Does anyone have any leads? The groups I have found online are toward Annapolis or Baltimore which are too far away. I also work in DC, but I don't think I can make the workouts for the group I've found online there.

Laurie

Hey, I'm also in Calvert County, in the Lusby/Solomons area. There aren't really any tri groups locally that I know of. You might want to look into the Patuxent Velo or Oxon Hill bike clubs. Both have triathletes in their ranks, and both have pretty good memberships in our areas.
2007-01-31 1:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD
Thanks, I'll check them out. The Patuxent Velo group's website seems to be down, but I found the Oxon Hill group.
2007-08-29 8:44 AM

User image

New user

Hello, I live in Chesapeak Beach and I am currently training for my first race (General Smallwood 23 Sep). I'd be interested to know if you find any other groups out there that are also training.

Greg
2007-08-29 8:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

Hi Greg, welcome!

I joined the DC Tri Club with every intention of joining some of their training sessions, but I still haven't found the time this summer.  I did my first sprint a few weeks ago (Iron Girl, Columbia), and I am also signed up for the Smallwood Sprint.  I've just been training on my own, following a training plan from BT. 

Here is the website for the Oxon Hill bike club - http://ohbike.org/.  They have rides that sometimes start or go through to Calvert, but again, I haven't found the time to join a ride.  Some of the rides start on weeknight evenings which I just can't make.  I commute to DC for work, so my schedule and my kids' activities often interfere with training. 

Another BTer I met is also doing Smallwood, and we were going to arrange to do the ride on one of the weekends before the race.  Would you be interested in joining us?

Laurie

2007-11-05 5:20 PM
in reply to: #945449

Regular
maryland
I tried to join the DC tri club but haven't heard back from their membership staff...website says to send an email first for a username/password then send in for membership...was that your experience?

Just curious. I just moved to the Hyattsville area & am scared to take my bike out of my driveway. Any groups in the area that anyone knows of? Looks like I'll get a lot of trainer hours in!

2007-11-06 11:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

I don't remember exactly what I did to join.  I do remember that it took quite a while to get a response, but I did get one eventually (and I got a water bottle and t-shirt in the mail). 

2007-11-26 9:50 PM
in reply to: #1039023

User image

DC
clydes_250 - 2007-11-05 6:20 PM

I tried to join the DC tri club but haven't heard back from their membership staff...website says to send an email first for a username/password then send in for membership...was that your experience?

Just curious. I just moved to the Hyattsville area & am scared to take my bike out of my driveway. Any groups in the area that anyone knows of? Looks like I'll get a lot of trainer hours in!

I am nearby in College Park; I like the trails in the area.
2008-01-02 8:11 AM
in reply to: #1069354

Regular
maryland
Thanks Grace...I've been told of a couple trails I'm going to tri to check out when I can.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training in Southern Maryland? Rss Feed