Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Exercise Physiology, Kinesiology, Exercise Science...HELP!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-10 3:44 PM

User image

Expert
Morgantown, WV
Subject: Exercise Physiology, Kinesiology, Exercise Science...HELP!!!

I have been up the last month almost everynight, frantically cruising the internet trying to figure out what the hell I'm going to do with my life.  Why am I taking these courses?  What am I doing here?!?!  I am approaching the end of my undergraduate degree (Biology), and need to start applying to graduate schools.

I have had a horrible time figuring out what I would like to do for a career, and up until a month ago I thought I was going to go into some kind of life science- probably zoology.  Eventually I was thinking I'd like to be a Vet, but getting into vet school is VERY hard, even if I do have a 3.85 GPA.  Especially since I want to stay in the Northeast for Grad school- I've only got 2 choices, Cornell and Tufts.  And, I don't know...I love animals, love nature, but...I just didn't know if I wanted to do that for the rest of my life.

But then, the other day, I had an epiphany.  I was like "What the hell are you doing?  You know what you're passionate about, so just do it!  Forget about money, forget about what people tell you, and just DO IT!"

So, now I'm looking into degrees and jobs in Exercise Physiology and Kinesiology.  I have found several schools in the North East with good programs, and have lot's of questions...and what better place to ask them then here???  I'm looking at Ithaca college, Syracuse University, University of New Hampshire, University of Maine, and University of Buffalo.

But...I'm concerned.  I'm worried about several things:

A)Getting a job in the Northeast, where I want to live the rest of my life.  Preferrably in as a seculded area as possible (which I know may not be possible).

B)Making enough money to pay off my debts and have a enough left over to live comfortably.

C)Do I simply go for a Masters?  Or should I go for a Ph. D.?  I really want my Ph. D., but just for personal satisfaction.  Or should I go for a dual masters and get my second masters in Nutritional sciences?

D)Can I make it into the programs?  I have only general Biology courses, 1 applied exercise physiology course, and 1 anatomy and physiology course.  Good GPA, strong GRE, some experience (worked in a weight room for 2.5 years, triathlete- over 25 races, over 50 running races), and research experience that is unrelated (Dragonfly research 1.5 years worth, and one major presentation at Albany).

I really need help with all of this.  Mostly I need reassurance that in fact I can make a living doing what I really love.  I'm really worried about money- most people say not to worry about it, do what you love, but...let's be realistic.  I don't care about making 6 figures, but I don't want to be making 30k for the rest of my life either.

Please, please, help a distressed college student.  Any and all advice will be considered carefully. 

2007-02-10 4:26 PM
in reply to: #686407

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Exercise Physiology, Kinesiology, Exercise Science...HELP!!!

You still haven't answered the question of what you want to do with your life.  You can get one or both of those degrees and still have nothing to do.  Answer this question.  Who is going to hire someone with a degree in Biology, exercise physiology & kinesiology.  Ex Phys you can get a job working in  a hospital or exercise lab.  But this field usually does not pay very well.  You can look at average salaries on salary.com.

Point being you need to determine what you want to do and then decided on a path, rather then choice a path and let that pick your job.

2007-02-11 2:59 AM

User image

Expert
Morgantown, WV

I wouldn't get both Kinesiology and exercise phsyiology.  I would have a biology undergrad degree- same as a lot of others in the medical, vet, or physicla therapy world- then a graduate degree in one of the above.

Hmmm...I see where you are coming from.  Most people tell me to go for what I love, and then see what jobs that'll give me.  AKA go for exercise phys., and then kinda play it by ear what jobs that opens up for me.  Like, clinical, industry, teaching, private lab etc.  You're saying the opposite.  Interesting veiw point I haven't heard before.

Also, what if I never know exactly what I want to do?  Do I never pick a degree?  I mean, it's easy if you want to be a doctor, or a teacher, or a lawyer, etc.  But in the biology field, for example, you get a degree in biology, and you might be working on tigers, or tiger beatles, or sharks, or tullips.  That's kinda the angle I'm coming at.  I know I want to do something related to fitness/health- just not exactly what (Not a doctor or physical therapist).

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Edited by greenmtnman 2007-02-11 3:05 AM
2007-02-11 9:24 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
I hear what you're saying.  A degree in ex phys will leave you some options.  Like you said clinical, industrial, private companies.  A degree in kinesiology, i just don't thing that will get you much of anywhere.  You can maybe take your CSCS or personal training certification and do persoanl training.  Get a PhD and teach.  Kinesiology is so board that I just don't know what kind of job would open up for you.  Good luck.
2007-02-11 10:03 AM

User image

Master
Connecticut

Everything in your description of experience and goals suggests to me someone who should look at a career in research and teaching. I say, go for the PhD.

Are there any faculty members in these sorts of careers at your current school who would be willing to talk with you about options?

2007-02-11 11:27 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

I can say I followed my love and got a degree in Kinesiology. I loved working in fitness.  I worked for Denver Broncos Sport Medicine and then managed health clubs for a couple of years, but the pay sucks... 

I then decided to go back to school before I got too old.  I got a second degree in Computer Science (my other love) and now make twice the money and still am active in my first love (doing tris). 

I wish someone had talked to me about the money before I spent the time getting the Kinesiology degree.

2007-02-11 11:51 AM

User image

boston
I think you should use your Bio degree to get a job related to one or more of these fields before committing to a degree in something without a focused idea of why you want to learn any of these subjects. Getting a master or doctorate degree is more about focusing your knowledge of a particular field, not feel around for an idea. You should take some time to consider what exactly your field is going to be.
With the biology background there is no reason you can't try to get research assistant or technician jobs in any of those fields. Truth is, those degrees don't come with specific jobs outside of research/teaching. You didn't mention research much at all. Do you want to do research? In reality these sciences are research oriented in workplaces/universities. Do you want to work with people instead? Maybe you don't need the degree. Maybe you could get the degree to sell yourself as coach. In which case, you are developing your skills as a business venture. Do you want to run your own business? Maybe that entails more business oriented courses.
You really can go a lot of directions with this, some might be the wrong direction and that is okay because people change their minds all the time. You are probably not going to be able to guess what you want to do until you put yourself out there and explore the options. But, especially if debt is already a concern, you should probably work out a good reason to incur more debt before you are stuck with the bill.
2007-02-11 2:27 PM

User image

Master
State of Confusion
I have an undergraduate degree in Exercise Physiology/Athletic Training, with my minor in Molecular Biology. My initial intent was to become a physical therapist. Short version...I never used my exercise physiology degree (directly...certainly helpful as an ATC), but after college worked in a sports medicine clinic using my Athletic Training background working with a PT (very briefly). I ended up doing research in molecular biology for 8 years before my family came a long. Loved research...couldn't do too much with my exercise phys. degree unless I wanted to be a personal trainer/pe teacher or coach, or get a Ph.D.,  none of which interested me.  But I am sure there are others that have a different story. I do believe in doing what you love though. If this is your passion, then that should be your answer.

Edited by NightOwl 2007-02-11 2:29 PM
2007-02-11 9:33 PM

Master

Can't answer your question...yet anyway.

I myself will be applying for a BSc. in Human Kinetics this fall (would have last fall but *ahem* things got in the way). All I can say is good luck and let us know how you make out!

Ps not to hijack, but as a Canadian I have no idea what this GPA mumbo-jumbo means. Any conversion to %'s anyone?

2007-02-11 10:47 PM

User image

Expert
Morgantown, WV

Wow.

I am amazed everytime I post on this website.

Thanks everyone.

empacher: "You didn't mention research much at all. Do you want to do research? In reality these sciences are research oriented in workplaces/universities. Do you want to work with people instead? Maybe you don't need the degree. Maybe you could get the degree to sell yourself as coach."

Answer: hmm...research. Yeah, why didn't I think of that? Teaching, had thought of that. I think that perhaps at one point I will end up teaching, I like it, and seem to be decent at it (I'm a bio/chem/physics tutor).

Parrj: "Kinesiology is so board that I just don't know what kind of job would open up for you".

Answer: Agreed.  I kinda get that from doing what little research I've done so far.

NightOwl: "couldn't do too much with my exercise phys. degree unless I wanted to be a personal trainer/pe teacher or coach, or get a Ph.D.,  none of which interested me"

Answer:  Well, that's depressing, I'm not going to lie.  But, you did find something, which is positive I guess.  It all works out for the best, I guess.

Velocomp: " I then decided to go back to school before I got too old.  I got a second degree in Computer Science (my other love) and now make twice the money and still am active in my first love (doing tris). "

Answer: Hmm...I guess if all else fails I can just go back to school, right?  No harm, no foul, I guess.  It's not a life threatening desicion, you can always change.  It's not like choosing whether or not to have children, or whether or not to eat that box of donuts .

Dredwards: "I say, go for the PhD".

Answer:  I think so.  I really would like to...

Moral of the story?  Think about it more.  Don't worry about that, I am.  I can't even sleep I think/worry about it so much.  I appreciate everyone's answers.

Oh, and I heard today that you don't have to have a degree to be a dietician?  Just a certification.  Is this true???

And! Jknapman, GPA stands for Grade point average.  It's built on a scale of 4.  4 being the highest, 0 the lowest.  0 is a 60, and 4 is a 95-100.  So a 3.0 is about an 85 (B), a 3.7 is an A- (93), 2.5 is about a 75 (C), etc.  I tried to find a calculator on the web that does GPA's but got to anxious to post this and gave up.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Exercise Physiology, Kinesiology, Exercise Science...HELP!!! Rss Feed