General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I sprained my ankle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-11 3:30 PM

New user
Subject: I sprained my ankle
I sprained my ankle playing basketball at the beginning of January. It is still swollen but I can pretty much walk and almost run on it. Does anybody have any experience in this area. Should I still be signing up for Sprint Triathlons this summer or will my ankle still be an issue?

2007-02-11 3:41 PM
in reply to: #686926

User image

Expert
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: I sprained my ankle
You should be fine by the summer if you are smart about this injury and let it heal. Rest, ice, elevate and compression. If it hurts, don't run. Get on the elliptical and bike in the meantime. Think about using an active ankle brace while you're rehabing it, and get some PT if it's a bad sprain. You don't want it to turn into a chronic issue
2007-02-11 4:28 PM

User image

Mesa
Do what he said... Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Also get the ankle brace but don't become reliant on it.

Do you know if it was a sprain (ligaments) or strain (tendons)? It is most often a strain which heals more quickly. A sprain will often put you on crutches.

For starters, again what he said... get a ankle brace. I have one that fits on the heal and then has 2 straps that go over your ankle. Much more comfortable and you can adjust the tension. Another neat thing you can get is a ankle shaped ice pack that has a strap that wraps over too. Keep training too. If there is pain swimming, biking, and running... use a stationary bike (preferably one that has the handles that move back and forth) and pedal with one leg. The increased blood flow will help the healing process too.

Bad news for the future is:
You will be more susceptible to rolling your ankle over.
It hurts the worst the first time.

Good news is:
Your ankle will have more flexibility and you will be able to recover more quickly from further ankles sprains/strains.

Also, pick up some L-Lysine... it is a amino acid that will help your muscles rebuild. It will aid in your recovery and you can continue to take them to aid in your recovery from everyday training.

Edited by chile7473 2007-02-11 4:31 PM
2007-02-11 4:38 PM

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
I have WAY too much experience in this area. Trained hard in fall '05...then 2/1/06 sprained ankle BADLY. Did not get back even running until MAY '06 and that was VERY EZ jogging and not for long at all. One year later I would consider myself close to 100 %...very lucky.

Hopefully yur situation bettr than mine........my age (43) and LONG history of ankle sprains didn't help. Hope you iced it in the first 24 hrs..that's important. X-ray'd ??

For many months after I started back running I iced 20 mins then heat for 20 mins. Bought one of those heat wraps you pot in microwave. Also, search online for exercises you can do to strengthen ankle.....very helpful for me.

There is one exercise in particular that wil help you gauge how weak/strong yur ankle is and it will help strengthen. ONLY WHEN you can stand comfortably should you try this. Simply stand on one leg and balance, starting out with both arms extended to help balance. You should eventually be able to do this for 3 mins, then try it with your arms in, then try it with your eyes closed, with the final goal being eyes closed, arms in for 3 mins. How close you are to that now is a crude indicator of ankle strenght. Be careful.

Also, get Adventure Bear to read this...very knowledgeable.

Good luck.
2007-02-11 4:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu,
I sprained my ankle 5 years ago and it still is larger than my other ankle and sometimes hurts a little bit. About a year ago it locked up on me when I was running. Luckily I was a block away from the ER. The doc there told me I will always have trouble with that ankle and sever arthritis. Hello disability.
2007-02-11 9:55 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I think it depends a lot on the severity of the sprain. I was tripped playing indoor soccer Fall of 2005 and had a sprain. It took about 4-5 weeks for me to get back to running and I surprised myself to have actually gotten faster not slower while off...and I went on to run my first 1/2 Mary about 3 months after spraining my ankle.

My ankle is still slightly swollen some 14 months later. I haven't had any ongoing issues; when I have rolled that ankle running on trails it has adjusted fine and been good with no issues at all; I did give up playing soccer as it was how I was getting hurt most of the time.

I was a bit surprised how long it took to get better at the time...5 weeks seemed like a long time.

Listen to the great advice given and do not run if it hurts...that would make your recovery longer. 

2007-02-12 9:01 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Hmm, this sounds familiar. I also sprained my ankle playing basketball during the second week of January. Although I've rolled my ankles many times before, this was perhaps the worst, or at least the most painful. In fact, I spent a week on crutches, which I found helped speed my recovery considerably compared to my past incidents.

I've been back running on it now for about two weeks. The first time back I basically had to powerwalk, but I found the next day my ankle felt considerably better and I could run on it with a slight limp. The next day was even better.

From what I've read on online med sites, the sooner that you get back to running on it, the faster you'll recover. Of course, it has to be within your pain tolerance. I would say in my case I had "discomfort", rather than true pain. It's a judgement call.

I also agree with the other posters that said you won't be 100% for over a year. In fact, I would say my last rolled ankle took more than 20 months to fully recover-- that's why you can't just sit around waiting to be "fully healed". It's just not going to be for quite a while.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I sprained my ankle Rss Feed