General Discussion Race Reports! » George Washington Birthday Classic 10k Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

George Washington Birthday Classic 10k - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Alexandria, Virginia
United States
19F / -7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m 57s
Overall Rank = 447/564
Age Group = F 20-29
Age Group Rank = 62/96
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30 (no sleep last night) for an 8:30 start. I drank most of a 32 oz bottle of gatorade, chilled out in bed for awhile, then got dressed and headed to the even site. They had already run out of small shirts by the time I got there (an hour before start time) but that's okay.
Event warmup:

The warmup area was inside the AMC Hoffman theater, which was fantastic. We could drop our bags inside one of the theaters, run around and stretch, there was pumping music, and pre-race snacks. Best of all were the bathrooms. Oh, the bathrooms! I went 3 times, and I never had to wait in line, and they were perfectly clean. I jumped around a bit and stretched out a lot more than I usually do. About 15 minutes ahead of time I moved outside to get a signal for my Garmin.
Run
  • 1h 00m 57s
  • 6.22 miles
  • 09m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first 10k, and I really wanted to have fun with it. My goals were to finish, to have fun, and to try to "race" for the first time. My previous experience has taught me that I'm very bad at trying to go fast; I really just wind up going exactly the same speed as I do when I'm training, and I then I get a tshirt at the end of it. I wanted to try to push myself this time.

First loop I kept my breathing normal, and didn't push too hard. I stayed mostly with the pack that I started with, but noticed right away that I was moving faster than I usually train at. Cool! I started the first loop at around a 10:00, with training pace being around 11:15 or so. It seemed to take a very long time to get to the turnaround, and I felt very much like I was practically the last person there. I guess when the weather gets cold, only the diehards show up, which makes for a fast race. The winner came in at just about 30:00 exactly. I know this because he came in just as I was finishing my first loop. I was going much faster than I planned to, but I was feeling good.

My second loop I had planned to do faster, so push harder. I wanted to start going faster, then at the turn around really just see what I could do. Garmin told me I was now running 9:45, which was very cool to see. Breathing was still okay, and I was starting to pick people off, which is the best part of starting in the back. Took some water at around 4 miles. I'd passed several water stations, mostly because I felt as though if I put anything in my mouth I'd vomit. I never felt this nauseated at my 5k's, and I didn't want to be the chick who puked, but if it came down to it.... The water didn't really do anything for me, didn't seem refreshing or helpful, so I just had a couple sips and kept on going. Got to the turnaround and put down the gas. Kind of. I really felt like I was moving. Garmin said 8:45 at one point. I really passed a lot of people, and I was still feeling pretty good. But even so, some of the people that I passed practially caught up with me at the end. I passed these two guys at around the 5 mile marker, and left them in the dust, and they finished literally right behind me. I guess I just need more experience with racing, to figure out how fast I can go, and when to put in the speed. I finished strong, and felt great. Tired, spent. Not like my other races, where I just needed a few minutes to catch my breath. This time I needed to keep moving, keep my muscles from locking, keep my heart from popping out of my chest. It was awesome.
What would you do differently?:

I don't know, nothing really. Next time I think I'll wait untill a little close to the end and then really run for the finish, just to see what happens. I don't have a racing style yet, so I just need to find what works for me. I did far and away better than I ever thought I would, so I'm pretty psyched.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around briskly outside, grabbed some water. Headed back into the theater to pick up my stuff and my husband at our pre-arranged meeting spot. He said I did great, and he got some great pictures. I needed to keep moving, because my hamstrings felt pretty tight. Got home and jumped right into an ice bath.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My lack of knowledge of myself as an athlete. I'm still a beginner, so I don't hold it against myself. I think I did pretty darn good.

Event comments:

This was a really great venue. Post race wasn't great, because the theater was opening up for Saturday matinee business, but it still was fantastic. I'd give it 5 stars for the bathrooms alone. No lines, spotless bathrooms, and real stalls!

Last updated: 2007-02-02 12:00 AM
Running
01:00:57 | 06.22 miles | 09m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/96
Overall: 0/564
Performance: Good
Course: Changed the night before due to the ice. It was supposed to be a single loop through the park, but instead was two loops up and down Eisenhower Avenue. Mostly flat, with one hill that was really more of an incline right at the beginning (and end) of the loop.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-02-17 10:30 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: George Washington Birthday Classic 10k

2007-02-17 10:50 AM
in reply to: #693834

User image

Master
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: George Washington Birthday Classic 10k
Allow me to be the first to congratulate you! Wow, a blazing time too!!  You must be so proud of yourself..and you should be! It's cool when others are proud of us, but it just ROCKS when we are proud of ourselves!! Nice job.
2007-02-17 11:58 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-02-17 1:58 PM

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

Awesome awesome race!      I know what you mean about not having a racing style yet because I don't have one either.  I've never heard it put quite that way and I REALLY like how you said that.  Cool!  Thanks for sharing your race with us.

Diane

2007-02-17 8:30 PM

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Awesome job!!!!!  I am so happy for you!
2007-02-17 11:24 PM

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
You made great time!  And as for racing style, I still don't have one either.  I just go out there and do the best I can that day.  Great job.

2007-02-22 3:29 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC

How'd I miss your race report?  Sheesh...

GREAT JOB!!!  Nice time there speedy!  Keep it up!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » George Washington Birthday Classic 10k Rss Feed