View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
United States
Total Time = 26m 12s
Overall Rank = 144/577
Age Group = Female 55-59
Age Group Rank = 2/19
Pre-race routine:

My pre-race routine was a complete circus! Our whole family flew/drove to Myrtle Beach for the weekend. The race site was Broadway at the Beach and most of the group was already hanging out there. I was waiting at the hotel for the last bunch to arrive but they were running late. They finally pulled in and Hannah (granddaughter) needed to be fed and have a diaper change. She was a bit stinky! We got that done, threw everyone in the car and headed for the race. We got lost. Ugh. Hannah was crying. Still lost. I decided to skip the run so we could just slow down and relax but my son said we were going to get there and I was going to run so we all said a little prayer and hung on for dear life. Too bad they didn't give awards for who drove the fastest to get to the race!
Event warmup:

There was a Family Fun Run scheduled just prior to the race. We pulled into the parking lot and Brian (son) got AJ (grandson) out of the car, threw him in the stroller, and off I ran to try and catch up since the event had already started. We were trying to hurry so much that we forgot to put his jacket on and the poor little guy was freezing. Believe it or not we caught up with Kris (daughter) and Kelly (daughter) just before the coolest part ... it went through Ripley's Aquarium which has a shark tunnel with fish swimming on both sides and above you. AJ loved it. So I had a mile warm up which was partly under water!
Run
  • 26m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

My coach's advice was to do a 5 minute easy warm-up. This didn't exactly happen but the warm-up I got was a lot of fun. I quickly left the Fun Run and found my way to the start of the 5K. Mary (coach) said to slowly ease into my pace on the first mile. I did this but when I hit the Mile 1 marker it said 8:30. I don't know what was going on because I don't run that fast. The next mile was supposed to be a little faster so I just kept going and I got to the Mile 2 marker at 16:58. I thought this was okay because it was still the same pace and I had obviously run the first one too fast. The last mile I just put everything I had into it and kept pushing to the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

Well ... I would try to arrive on time and be a little more focused but I couldn't change any of that so I had to roll with it.
Post race
Warm down:

I ate a banana and walked around looking for my family. This was the chilliest weather MB has ever had for these events and I was literally frozen by the time we left.

Event comments:

This was a fun race with lots of events going on all weekend. I think training in altitude and running at sea level gave me an advantage ... I'll take it because when I get back to Denver I'll be humbled by the thin air again!

The main event that attracted us to Myrtle Beach was the marathon which Kelly ran on Saturday. She's been training hard and did a great job. I keep telling myself that the marathon runners all started out with 5Ks like I'm doing ... maybe someday it will happen for me.

Last updated: 2007-02-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:12 | 03.11 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/19
Overall: 144/577
Performance: Good
Course: Flat course which started at 29th Avenue on the North side of Broadway at the Beach near Ripley's Aquarium and finished in the parking lot of Coastal Federal Field. There were large time clocks at each mile which was great because you could see exactly how you were doing.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-02-18 8:50 PM

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RBC Centura Bank 5k

2007-02-19 7:09 AM
in reply to: #694961

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: RBC Centura Bank 5k

Becky....you did amazing!!!!

You should be so proud of all your hard work. Yes, all those Marathoners started with a 5K. If you have the desire to do it one there is no doubt in my mind you will.

Great warm up for the race and way to take away any prerace jitters you may have had. I see an outstanding triathelete developing in you with motivation from your family and daughter.

I'd love to run as fast as you do and you are just starting. I can't wait to see what this year of hard/smart training does for you.

Congrats!!

Hardware is cool...placing in top 25% is awesome even better when you are a Grandma!

2007-02-19 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Congratulations on a great race! That's a great time, and you got 2nd in your AG- awesome!!!

What a way to kick off the season. Congrats!
2007-02-19 10:36 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Awesome race and awesome time!  Congrats on the hardware!
2007-02-19 12:55 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Awesome job Mom. I told you that you're filled with undiscovered running talent. That must be where I get my love for running, we just never knew it before.

Now if only I could learn how to get second in MY age group!
2007-03-05 4:23 PM

New user

Dear Friend Becky ~
You are awesone! I am so impressed with your tenacious running ability and talents!
Stay in touch and know that I am thinking of you.
Good Luck and God Bless...
In Old Time Friendship,
Jeanie

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RBC Centura Bank 5k Rss Feed