Overcast
Total Time = 2h 28m 12s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Oatmeal, Coffee.
Event warmup:

a few stretches and short little runs in the grass with the dogs.
Run
  • 2h 28m 12s
  • 25 kms
  • 05m 56s  min/km
Comments:

I was 216 on wakeup. But once I got the park I had to use the park restrooms twice and had to drop at least a pound and a half of water. Since it was windy and cool, drinking water wasn't that interesting. Had a full Nalgene bottle full of NUUN (three tablets in 32 ounces) Put 8 ounces of it in a gatorade bottle to carry for the first few miles.

Maybe 40 people started the 25K. Same for the Marathon. Start was separated by a half hour. Havent' seen the final results yet. Very small race, no frills, marathon winners get a piece of drift wood with their names on it. But the course is a Boston Qualifer.

Went out easy, tried to keep my hr around the 150s, but it crept up to 160s after about 3 miles and stayed there. Until the hill around 5-6 miles. Did well running up the hill. And after cresting the hill, was able to recover from tight thighs and get back into a decent pace.

Ran by myself most of the way. So focus was on staying a certain pace. No mile markers so I never knew how I was doing.

For some reason I got the Paul McCartney and Wings song. Silly Love Songs in my head....and for the last 3 miles had the Boogie Woogie bugle boy of Company C....Weird

At the 7 mile aid station, started thinking that I needed to take a leak and it was starting (the Accelerade Gels (2)) was causing some GI distress. But since there was no porta potties anywhere, just gutted it out and did pass one later at a house being built. Decided against using it. Was at 61 minutes at the 7 miles, later at the 10 mile aid station I was at 1:34?

Started to sprinkle with about 2 miles to go, was getting a little slower, but still felt strong and mentally tough....Finished with a nice surge.

What would you do differently?:

LOOSE WEIGHT. I'm too heavy. Think that causes some of my lower ab and groin problems and aches.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back and met wife and dogs, went home, got Little Ceasar Pizza and showered and watched Daytona 500. Weighed myself at home before pizza and water, Weight was 211. So there was a 5 pound weight loss. Pre Pizza though.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight, no speed or track work outs.

Event comments:

I'm happy with it. Ran faster than last year. So I think I controled my pace early on and didn't really bonk or die out in the final miles. Probably try the Marathon next year.

Last updated: 2007-01-31 12:00 AM
Running
02:28:12 | 25 kms | 05m 56s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
164 Ave HR, Max HR was 187. Burned 3367 Calories.
Course: Loop on country roads By Birch Bay and around the Semiahmoo Resort area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes