General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie in Houston, Texas Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-23 1:05 PM

Subject: Newbie in Houston, Texas
Hey everybody,

I'm 22/single, 5'10'' & 175 lbs (sounds like classified doesn't it? hehe) and just graduated from college and moved to Houston 6 months ago for work. Moving from the Bay Area (Stanford/Palo Alto area) in California and not knowing anybody here I was thrown off but immediately went back to training and found consolation. Got a triathlon 101 book on amazon back in november and started training at a local gym.

I did 2 years of collegiate sprint flatwater kayaking & going back to tracking my training progress & keeping the BT log brings back the memories of competing in college & gets me excite of my upcoming sprint triathlon March 31st in Galveston! I got a coworker to get sicked and the buddy training system is working out.

I really need to work on my swimming. My training buddy is a good swimmer so I've been getting tips & pointers from her. I've been getting better at biking taking spinning classes 'thrice' a week but yet have to do an outdoor bike. i'm in pretty good running shape & throughly enjoy strength & core training (still at heart from kayak training).

will be on BT on a daily basis logging workouts and reading through the vast amount of useful info on the site + motivation through y'alls' progress!! INSPIRE ME!!

look forward to feedback et al, happy training!

cheers!

JJ

-smile, laugh, live

PS- Anybody in North Houston/Spring area holler back! let's take a ride some weekend...and see you at the Lonestar tri March 31st!

2007-02-25 7:21 AM
in reply to: #700880

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Subject: RE: Newbie in Houston, Texas
Welcome to BT I am not in Houston but there is a large number of BTer's that will be happy to train with you.
2007-02-28 5:13 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

It's a bit of a drive for you, but the Houston Racing Triathlon Club (houstonracing.org) has swim coaching with a very welcoming atmosphere at a pool called Dad's club, off I-10 west of Houston, on Sunday afternoons.  Free for members, which is $35 per YEAR.  You can come without being a member the first time and no-one will care.  Not sure if it has started for this year yet.  Check their site.

The group is called "Pool Sharks."  Once a month we switch to "Lake Sharks" and do an open water swim practice at Twin Lakes.

Also, if you can, come on down to the Galveston Tri Festival on March 31-April 1!  Even if you don't race, you can meet a lot of BTers. 

Welcome to BT and to Houston, and happy tri'ing!

2007-02-28 10:22 PM

Thanks for the info citysky!

I'll try to make myself out on a sunday afternoon. The club membership sounds like a deal!!

See ya at the Lonestar festival March31!
2007-03-05 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Welcome to BT! Another Houstonian here. What part of town are you in? I think Joe (freeswimmingfish) is starting to do bricks (bike/run) at Memorial Park on Tuesday or Wednesday nights and I should be joining him. My wife and I also swim at Dad's Club and she was a collegiate swimmer if you ever need some pointers.
2015-01-20 4:31 PM
in reply to: edamex

I actually live in Spring bud.

This is my first triathlon. Looking to improve on my nonexistent swimming abilities.

2015-01-21 7:34 PM
in reply to: IHSV

User image

Extreme Veteran
Welcome from another Texan. Being new to the sport you may want to look at the Mentor Page and think about signing up for one. Great place to chat, ask questions, and share your experience's. My group is the Tri Turtles if you feel like taking a look.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie in Houston, Texas Rss Feed