General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knees, shins and ankles ....shins and ankles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-26 6:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Knees, shins and ankles ....shins and ankles

So I have been having some pain during my runs that start on the inside of my legs on my shin and then slowly move down to my ankles.  I am also having some pain in my knees after my run.  Could this all be due to running at my weight (6'3" 210)?  I have tried to stretch thoses areas before my runs but dont know how to stretch the inside of my shin....

Oh yeah I have increased my milage but not more than 10% a week and only doing up to 7.

Any help or advice would be great.

Steve

2007-02-26 10:05 PM
in reply to: #702877

Subject: RE: Knees, shins and ankles ....shins and ankles
I'm not a triathlete, but I play one on TV. Honestly, I only cycle and swim because of the beating that the body takes from running. But if you are so inclined, I'd say keep the miles down, run on forgiving surfaces, and get some really good shoes. Downhill is tough on shins, too, so try to keep things level. If your body is hurting, it's sending you a message. Generally, it's a good idea to listen to your body before you suddenly can't run at all. If I were you, I'd dial the running back a bit until I found a level that the body could cope with free of pain for a period of several weeks. Only then think about gradually increasing distances.
2007-02-27 9:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Mobile, Alabama
I am about the same size as you and had a stress fracture last year. I had been hitting the weights pretty hard and that got my weight up. In the last 6 weeks or so I have lost about 17lbs and feel much better running. I don't know if thats your normal weight or not, but the lighter you are, the more your joints will like you. Check out my logs starting last Jan/Feb and see if you are having some of the same symptoms. I just ran through it (not a good idea) but I would suggest going to a Orthopedic to have them look at it.
2007-02-27 8:23 PM

User image

Expert
It might also help to stretch after your muscles are warm, rather than before your run.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knees, shins and ankles ....shins and ankles Rss Feed