General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ok – I’ve had a few days now Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-24 1:39 PM

User image

New Hampshire
Subject: Ok – I’ve had a few days now
Since my miserable experience (failure) to swim in a race. I wanted to give myself some time before deciding what to do.

The feed back I’ve had from here is great and I appreciate it – you are a great bunch of people.

I have pulled out of my next Tri on September 11th – I don’t think I can be ready in time plus I’ve been asked to coach soccer for a kids team and that’s their first game so I’m going with them.

I’m stopping swimming for a bit. Whilst the weather is decent for the next couple of months I shall be focusing on a 5k program until I can run plus getting road time in on the bike before the weather closes me down. I’ll throw in a swim once a week when I take the kids to the Y.

I shall also be returning to Volleyball to maintain some sort of shape – and at least I can complete that!!! ?

Once the biking stops for winter then I shall switch the focus to swimming and the running and by the time conditions allow for biking I shall be ready to hit the road and up the program. I know that early next year there is a y in Vermont that does a few mini tris - with a swim in the pool – just what I need to get started.

I’ll reassess where I am by then but I hope to be doing some serious biking with the local club and I’ll add open water swimming by next summer. Should have lost more weight by then.

I also refuse to have any more visitors as they disrupted my life to much. Shame because the dragon in law was going to be the next visitor!! ;-)

Timberman 2005 – I’ll be back. You don’t beat me that easily.

Thank you all – you are all stars.

2004-08-24 1:45 PM
in reply to: #52422

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
Subject: RE: Ok – I’ve had a few days now
I'm glad it sounds like you have a plan to continue swimming. I just don't want to see you psych yourself comepletely out of the water! Or that particular dragon will continue to grow, and the longer you wait to get back in the harder it will be. So don't give that up entirely.

I hate to hear that you pulled out of your tri on Sept 11 but you know what you need to do.

BUT!!!

That sounded WAAAAY to much like goodbye, and it better not be. Your goal of completing the Timberman hasn't changed SO DON'T YOU DARE LEAVE US

Cindy
2004-08-24 1:50 PM

User image

New Hampshire
Sept 11th –

1) I am not convinced that I can be ready for the swim and I don’t want to compound the feeling that I have about the swim section by messing up again.
2) I was asked to coach a kids soccer team as nobody else would do it and I felt that I could step in and do that – as I have in the past.
3) Its my wedding anniversary and I think that I should take my wife out as it will be the first Saturday that we will have together since June.

And no – you don’t get rid of me that easily.
2004-08-24 1:54 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

Well geez Mike you left out the anniversary part....

And as long as we don't get rid of you that easily.
2004-08-24 2:37 PM

Expert
Princeton, MN
Mike;
Glad to hear you're still alive. Your silence had got me a tad worried.
More importantly. I'm glad to hear you're not giving up.
All the best

ian
2004-08-24 3:20 PM
in reply to: #52429

User image

Expert
MD
Sounds like a good decision. By coaching soccer you are touching the lives of a dozen or so kids, making something possible for them that has a tangible and lasting impact on their lives. You have years and years to compete in triathlons, but limited time to impact so many young lives. Good for you! Keep up with the swimming, biking, and running as long as you have fun and enjoy it. And, finally, happy anniversary!

2004-08-24 4:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Mike

Only you knows what is best for you. Just remember no matter what we are here to support you whatever decisions you make. Glad to hear you haven't given up entirely and good luck with your training and new goals you've set for youself...
2004-08-24 4:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greer, South Carolina
Mike,

It sounds like you have a good plan for going forward. There are times that we all have to take a step back and regroup. It's great that you're giving your time to help a group of kids. The return on investment for time spent nurturing and teaching kids is immeasurable. Enjoy your break and I look forward to hearing your progress with your running, biking, and your soccer team.

Scott
2004-08-24 5:48 PM

Regular
Mike sounds like a plan. And taking the wife out for your anniversary is always advised!!

I will be there at Timberman 2005 or maybe you'll even get the itch to do the Moose man with all the training under your belt!
2004-08-25 9:28 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
mikenhe - 2004-08-24 12:39 PM

Timberman 2005 – I’ll be back. You don’t beat me that easily.

you're right. there's always next year. making it to the starting line is more than most do. im glad you're sticking around!
2004-08-25 1:47 PM

User image

Expert
England

Mike - long time no talk....

Sorry to hear of your challenge, I've had a bit of that myself this year for various reasons. With all those bikes in the shed you need to make sure you keep at it.

I had a disaster at my first tri, about 5 years ago, and almost DNF in the pool. I only just made it to the finish line and always felt i never showed what i could really do, and that always nagged away at me. It was one of the reasons I chose triathlon as my sport to get back into shape. I have done a few races this year and been near the back of my age group in each (<50 in my group though...) but I know I've kicked that particular demon into touch now. I'm sure you'll do the same when the time is right for you.

Keep taking those steps forward and you'll know when its right to get back at it.

Damon

2004-08-25 3:59 PM

Veteran
Washington
If you don't take your wife out to dinner on your anniversary, you may not be around to do the tri next year. Wise choice....Life is always good.

I missed my goal of completing a tri this summer as well. i have found that by staying active on this site, it provides good motivation and keeps me accountable for continuing my training.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ok – I’ve had a few days now Rss Feed