General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Oh, so that's what you mean when you say "I fell over still clipped in" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-03-06 3:47 PM
in reply to: #713235

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis
Subject: RE: Oh, so that's what you mean when you say "I fell over still clipped in"
lisac957 - 2007-03-06 11:55 AM
The Mac - 2007-03-06 10:21 AM

Girl parts?

Yup, girls have girl parts, like boys have boy parts. And they are kind sensitive. They don't like suddenly being... hummmm. I cannot figure out how to explain this without geting the post deleted. I basically racked myself with the saddle. Good times.

Ahhh....those girl parts.  Thanks for the subtle clarification

2007-03-06 6:15 PM
in reply to: #713057

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: Oh, so that's what you mean when you say "I fell over still clipped in"
So, why would I WANT to be clipped in?
2007-03-06 6:20 PM

User image

Wow... I've NEVER done that!!!!!

Welcome to the club

2007-03-06 7:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
coastal NC

Ah, yes---welcome to the club.  I received a bruise on my thigh the shape of Italy and nifty scabs on both knee and elbow from my initiation.

However, you won't get the secret handshake until you fall in front of two or more people. Them's the rules.

2007-03-06 7:49 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Today I am wearing a short skirt simply so I can show off my fabulous skinned knee. You know how it goes, unclip left, all body weight leeeeeans to the right - Kapow! Welcome to the club!
2007-03-06 8:09 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
welcome to the club!

2007-03-06 9:53 PM

Regular
I'd been riding clipless for a year--bought a new carbon bike--love love love it--first time out on it I didn't realize that the clips were too tight until I tried to unclip. All I could think of on the way down was how to protect my bike! I don't even remember how much I hurt but I still sigh when I see that itty bitty scratch on my bike. (I have never been that way about any of my cars!!)

Edited by up4challenges 2007-03-06 9:54 PM
2007-03-06 11:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida
LOL...yea, my first one was when I did a u-turn, and had to get through a narrow guard gate...realized I was going to miss, so I tried to put my foot down, but it was still clipped in, so down I went...

The funny thing is that when other people see it happen, most dont realize that you are clipped into your bike, so they cant figure out WHY you didnt put your foot down...LOL!
2007-03-07 6:35 AM

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
This will age me a bit but here it goes! In 1986 I was riding the Hilly Hundred(Bloomington IN) when I was 15 years old. We had just finished at the high school on Sunday. I was pedaling around the parking lot looking for some of my friends and decided that I needed to get off of the bike because well, I couldn't hardly feel my legs. In 1986 we used the good old toe straps and of course mine were as tight as I could get them! One pull on the left leg to try to get out of it and well, I just fell over! About 20 people witnessed it...no one laughed...everyone just kind of looked at me and gave me a look like 'well it happens'. I haven't had the experience with spd setup yet...yet!!!
2007-03-07 9:08 AM

User image

Champion
The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
Ouch. Feel Better.

Glad I've never been in that club. Nor the tmwelshey-I-killed-a-squirrel-club. I started the I-Hit a-Corncob-in-the-Middle-of-the-Road-and-Wiped-Out-Club, though.

2007-03-07 10:12 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Done it twice so far. First time much like yours. Right at the end of the driveway by the street. I've still got a scar on my knee from that one. Second time was at a traffic light. No injuries from that one.

2007-03-07 11:26 AM

User image

Yeah - my first was in the middle of Chicago at a busy intersection. Just went glub glub glub and over. And anyone who's lived in Chi-town knows that the cage drivers are not sympathetic. I did learn about potholes the size of elephants, train tracks and curbs there, though!

It all worked great until I moved to Germany and was cut off by a little girl riding her bike while listening to headphones and swinging her riding crop around... I fell over fairly violently and she just turned a bit, looked at what she had caused by veering around despite my calls and caution, and kept riding along her merry way.

A car did stop to ask if I needed help - I was pretty cut up - but I denied it and proceeded to ride the long distance back home.

Gotta love the clips.
2007-03-16 8:03 AM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

I read your story when you originally posted, when I was still using platform pedals, so I thought I had fair warning and could avoid falling when I got my spd pedals... Obviously I was wrong. They are easy to get out of, unless you forget.

I was just leaving the cul-de-sac when a truck was coming, so I had to stop at the stop sign. I went to put my right foot down and remembered I was attached, so I turned my heal out, but it was at the top of the pedal stroke. I should have had time to pedal backward and get out, but I accepted my fate and braced for impact and public humiliation. My neighbor was 30 feet away, he didn't laugh, but look really confused, like how did I fall like that. I continued to ride because obviously I need the practice and I discovered that I can clip out at the top of the pedal stroke by turning my heal in instead of out, guess I should have read the directions.

I guess it takes a fall to teach us how to clip out well, hopefully just one! What I still can figure out is, why were both my feet free when I was lying on the ground?

2007-03-16 8:19 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Both of my feet were free when I got up, too. Maybe it's like snow boots/skis - something built in so they pop off upon impact? I honestly don't know.

Glad you got that out of the way though

2007-03-16 10:07 AM

Regular
I fell again this week. I took a newbie out for her second road bike ride and to get her used to biking as we both train for our first sprint. I've been biking for awhile. She's been swimming for awhile. I'm supposed to know what I'm doing on the bike. It was another one of those stand still falls--let's turn left, no it's a cul-de-sac, go right, oh you're still going left, I'll go left too but not fast enough to avoid the curb, can't clip out fast enough, and I fall.

Again, because I was pretty much not going any speed it didn't hurt at all but my bike!! Another coupld of scratches. It's my new carbon bike--so shiny, light, and beautiful. I'm just sick about the scratches.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Oh, so that's what you mean when you say "I fell over still clipped in" Rss Feed  

of 2