General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Oh, so that's what you mean when you say "I fell over still clipped in" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-03-06 9:26 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: Oh, so that's what you mean when you say "I fell over still clipped in"
I've officially been initiated into the club. Short version: I fell over still clipped in, on my first ride. Here's the long version:

The weather was warm, the bike was put together, the shoes were staring me in the face. I had a few extra minutes so thought I'd take the Cervelo out on a maiden voyage to practice clipping in and out. I was a virgin clipper.

I began in the driveway, so the neighbors wouldn't see me floundering around like an 8-year-old just off of training wheels. Hanging on to the side of the house, I pushed off. Couldn't get my cleat to fit in right. Let's try again. Now my neighbors are starting to get home from work. A few more try's and HELLO my right foot is clipped in. Panic. Clip out and stop. Go back up the driveway. Now the neighbor's kids and dog are in the front yard. I don't know if I should wave, or just try to detract the attention from myself.

After a few more successful right-foot clip-ins, I get brave and try to follow with the left foot. No dice. Back up the driveway. Now there are two neighbors outside. Down the driveway... right foot... come on left foot... LEFT FOOT! I am IN! Panic. Keep riding because I need to think about exactly how I'm going to clip out. I ride around the block with a huge grin on my face. I am fast. I am really, really fast (in my head).

I get back to my driveway and a different neighbor and dog are outside. I hope they don't see me, I'm about to unclip for the first time. I coast into the driveway, conciously thinking about unclipping left, then right, then step down. It worked! I am a rock star.

With my newfound confidence, I take another few trips around the block with astonishing success. For the first time on a bike, I feel like I'm moving WITH the bike. Not fighting it. I think I am in love with the Cervelo and the Speedplays. Yes, it is love.

Last time down the street, and for some reason I don't go up my long driveway, I decide to stop in the street to unclip. Left foot out, good. Oh no, I stopped way too fast. My body is leaning to the right for some reason. OMG my right foot is still in. I am falling to the right, holy crap I am going to fall over! In my highest-piched girl voice I softly squeak "no, no no, no no!" until I hit the ground. Ow.

My hand hurts. My girl parts hurt. My leg hurts. Is the bike okay? Hmmm just a scratch on the handlebar and the tape. I look around and to my amazement, all of the neighbors, kids and dogs are nowhere to be seen! They are all inside! Saved from embarassment, I limp up to the house and go inside.

As bad as the welt is on my leg, it feels good to be in the club.

2007-03-06 9:31 AM
in reply to: #713057

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Oh, so that's what you mean when you say "I fell over still clipped in"

Welcome to the club.  To bad you didn't have an audience, it is kind of funny seeing others look at you like you are from mars. Wink

Adios
Dave

2007-03-06 9:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Durham
Subject: RE: Oh, so that's what you mean when you say "I fell over still clipped in"
it only counts if someone sees it and laughs. Like yesterday morning when I hit a ginourmous pothole on the way to work at about 20 mph. Luckily, no cars on my side of the road, but I swear I heard people on the other side of the divided highway spitting out their coffee all over the place and laughing their red bikes off (after they saw me get up, of course)
2007-03-06 9:39 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Welcome to the club.

Don't worry, you'll fall over in full view of a school bus full of 5th graders. It just comes with the territory.

2007-03-06 9:44 AM

Saugus
welcome to the club! been there, done that... not just once, or twice but more times then I'd like to admit, except I seem to fall when there are people around, lots of people... like at major intersections. The last time I fell because I couldn't unclip fast enough was at the END of a Century because my goodie bag got caught in my front wheel... oh well, i'm sure it's amusing to some who see it happen (it certainly was to me when my husband "joined the club"...) but most can relate and just quickly look away because they know it's only a matter of time before it happens to them! Enjoy your new bike, the Cervelo is an awesome bike!
2007-03-06 9:50 AM

User image

Master
New York
Welcome to the club. Expect your membership card in the mail in 4-6 weeks along with our newsletter.

2007-03-06 9:55 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

And then, in a couple of years, you will get to upgrade your membership.  That's when you are taking a "new" group on the ride and are the "experienced" one.  Before leaving the parking lot, you see a grate and fall right over with BOTH feet still clipped in.

How's that for confidence of your new pupils.  :P

2007-03-06 9:57 AM

Master
Charlotte, NC

Welcome aboard!!!!

Fun isn't it?  Glad you saved face with the neighbors. 

2007-03-06 9:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
You go girl!

Last year I switched from hybrid to road bike with clip-ins (Speedplay). Spent an hour in the park on the flat, paved path practicing. But I think it's inevitable that someday, somewhere you will fall trying to get out.

I ALMOST fell a lot of times with my faster REAL cyclist friends. When I finally did fall it was at zero miles per hour. I had stopped just before a hill. When I got back on and went to pedal, I couldn't get my foot around fast enough to build up any momentum and I fell over onto the curb. Ouch! I lay there for a few seconds, taking inventory of what hurt. Glanced around and realized there were no cars anywhere. Then I realized that coming upon a cyclist, laying on the side of the road with their bike on top of them might look really scary -- so I hurried and got up. Didn't want to scare anyone. ;-)
2007-03-06 10:00 AM

User image

Welcome to the club.

I upgraded my membership when I discovered railroad tracks.  <<Stupid tracks>>

2007-03-06 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
South eastern Ohio

Yes, Welcome to the club. And soon you can do the always popular....set up in parking lot at a crowded State park and in full view of about 25 people. In full kit, aero-bars, and really cool sunglasses. Clip in, forget (because it is the first outside ride this Spring after all)to push off and clip in the other foot and promptly fall over. Like a big old turtle.  Get up try to look cool (it doesn't work bythe way) and ride off.  Don't worry you prob. don't know any of them and they will be gone by the time you get back...

Have fun and good riding

2007-03-06 10:07 AM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

That's exactly what happened to me my first time only I'd been riding clipless successfully for several months. Lack of concentration + weight on the wrong side = TIMMMMBEEEERRRRR!!! I had a wicked bruise on my inner thigh from where the top tube smacked me. Thank God I took the brunt of the fall. I'd hate for Baby to get dinged up!

Welcome to the club. Your next required fall is at a busy intersection with everyone watching.

Cheers!

Tom

2007-03-06 10:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
East Aurora, NY

Ahhh yes, welcome to the club.  I remember my first, second, third, fourth...well you get the picture.  The best was when I was going great for a couple of months, I had the confidence and it became second nature.  You could almost say I was "experienced".  I pulled into the driveway and for some reason my brain just wasn't talking to the feet.  I realized this as I came to a COMPLETE stop with both feet clipped in.  As I'm picking myself up off of my driveway I look over and there is my neighbor's golden retriever with this look in her eyes that was just shouting "DUMMY"! 

2007-03-06 10:18 AM

User image

Master
Colorado

Hee. My first lesson with clipless pedels was that it all goes great ... as long as you don't stop.

2007-03-06 10:20 AM

User image

Newport Beach, CA
I live in Orange County, CA, and it's filled with stoplights over here.....ANyway, I'm one of those that has fallen over at a major intersection, with both feet still clipped in. I don't know how I managed this, but I can tell you that everyone at the light was definitely laughing at me!

Hey, at least I was entertaining the other drivers, & my friends!
2007-03-06 10:21 AM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis

Girl parts?

2007-03-06 10:46 AM

I joined the club this weekend as well, mine was on the second ride. Oh well
2007-03-06 10:52 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-03-06 10:52 AM
in reply to: #713217

Champion
South Jersey

Great story! Glad to hear you're okay for the most part! Will you be riding today??

2007-03-06 10:55 AM
in reply to: #713163

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
The Mac - 2007-03-06 10:21 AM

Girl parts?

Yup, girls have girl parts, like boys have boy parts. And they are kind sensitive. They don't like suddenly being... hummmm. I cannot figure out how to explain this without geting the post deleted.

I basically racked myself with the saddle. Good times.

2007-03-06 11:02 AM

Master
New York
Always fun.

My initiation ceremony came at a red light when I fell over onto the car next to me, which happened to be the first car in line. I couldn't regain verticality, or unclip either foot, so me and about 25 cars waited through three green/red cycles until I figured out how to twist my feet correctly. I got a few angry honks and looks after that.

2007-03-06 11:46 AM

Veteran
Durham
Man, you should be not only a member, but also the president of the club
2007-03-06 11:50 AM

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Great story, but...

If a newbie falls in the neighborhood and no one is there to see it, does it really count!?

2007-03-06 11:58 AM

Champion
Nashville, TN

Heh.  It only hurts the first time.  Wait...no, it hurts everytime

My first spill was in front of two attractive women, who instantly rushed to my aid. Too bad my determination led me to get back on the bike instead of milking the injury.  I also feel on a group ride.  Quite funny. 

2007-03-06 12:17 PM

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Ouch!  I had a near-miss yesterday after riding clipless pedals all last year. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Oh, so that's what you mean when you say "I fell over still clipped in" Rss Feed  

of 2