General Discussion Race Reports! » Slainte Irish Pub St. Patrick's Day 5km Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Slainte Irish Pub St. Patrick's Day 5km - Run5k

View Member's Race Log
Hamilton, Ontario
Canada
7C / 45F
Overcast
Total Time = 32m 10s
Overall Rank = 174/213
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/11
Pre-race routine:

Race at 100 pm. Nothing unusual about my morning. Kashi with rice milk and coffee for brekkie. Tim's coffee and 2 timbits enroute to race. H2O and raw almonds before race. Had to take an Advil as my ankle has been wonky since hockey tourney.
Event warmup:

5 min of walking and stretched for about 15 min.
Run
  • 32m 10s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 26s  min/km
Comments:

Overall it was a very good run for me. Only glitch was between km 2-3 where I started feeling very tired. I think it was more mental than anything as I generally hate long, straight sections and headwinds. Allowed myself to walk one minute at the 15 min mark. Felt much better once I got going after that. A short time later the downhill section started and I went all out (for me that is). I don't think I've ever had the opportunity to run downhill for that far before. Was starting to get really tired when I saw the finish line in sight with 31:45 showing on the clock. Sprinted as fast as I could but didn't quite get in under 32:00.
What would you do differently?:

Don't listen to that evil part of my brain that says I'm tired. Also must remember to start my watch when the gun goes off.
Post race
Warm down:

Made my way to the host pub for my complimentary beer, Irish stew and Irish music. Not quite the cool down that one is supposed to do.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Main thing was probably mental as I think my body had ability to push a little harder during first 3 km, but the brain wouldn't let me. Also excess pounds, not enough runs at quicker paces, fitness level. Legs were also still sore and tired from my hockey tourney on Wed and Thurs.

Event comments:

Very enjoyable race that wasn't too large. Was hoping for sub 35 min so I greatly exceeded my expectations. I will definitely try to do this one again next year. I rewarded myself by booking a massage appointment on Monday :)

Last updated: 2007-01-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:32:10 | 05 kms | 06m 26s  min/km
Age Group: 10/11
Overall: 174/213
Performance: Good
Course: Flat course thru streets of Hamilton for first 3 km. Long straight section between km 1.5 to 3. Final 2 km downhill down the Jolly cut.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-03-10 7:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada
Subject: Slainte Irish Pub St. Patrick's Day 5km

2007-03-11 9:22 PM
in reply to: #718654

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Subject: RE: Slainte Irish Pub St. Patrick's Day 5km

Good job on the 5K! That is awesome and I am so proud of you!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Slainte Irish Pub St. Patrick's Day 5km Rss Feed