General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plan for off-season fitness? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-25 6:40 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: Plan for off-season fitness?
What is a good outline to follow for just buiding base fitness? I want to have some focus to my swims and bikes, but never having been a road biker before, I need to build up a good base. Biking by time is easy enough, but what about ideas like cadence, gears, heart rate and speed for the novice road biker? I understand all these concepts but would like to apply them so that my foundation workouts have some kind of focus, without being micromanaged.

FOr example, bycycling magazine recently ran a sidebar article that basically said to ride for 6 months or so until you can do an hour at a cadence of 90. It didn't mention at what gear ratio, heart rate or ride type (hills/flats, etc) I like the simplicity of that, and yet it gives me a goal when I go out to ride.

Do you think that's good advice, or are there better ways to go about being a road bike beginner, like training by HR?

Same questions go for swimming, which I have a little more experience at, but have not trained for more than 4 weeks out of the year since I was about 14. That's about 20 years ago! I have a HR monitor, but no bike computer.

2004-08-25 7:45 PM
in reply to: #53240

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Plan for off-season fitness?
You can actually do a lot of bike training without having to worry much about gears, cadence, etc. Just build your bike base much like running; add 10% distance per week. Unless you live in a very flat place, you'll probably have to ride some hills. For now, you can learn to work your gears in the manner that's best for you and your bike. Your rear will probably be a little sore after that first 5-10 mile ride, but your body will adjust to that quick enough. If you want to work on your cadence, just try to keep your gears where your quads aren't burning. (OH! But those hill workouts feel SO GOOD!) As you progress, hook up with a local bike group and do some training rides with them.

The swimming is much the same. I think I tried to build speed too fast, instead of working the endurance. Once I started that, it got much easier for me. You can hook up with a Master's swim group and learn from them.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plan for off-season fitness? Rss Feed