General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long Island Tri'ers? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2004-08-26 3:51 PM

User image

Regular
Long Island, NY
Subject: Long Island Tri'ers?
Anyone from the Long Island area on here? I'd love to maybe find a group of people to train with -whether it be bike, swim, or run...even if it's on a casual basis. Feel free to PM or email me...or drop me a line in this thread! Thanks and have a good one!

2004-08-26 4:03 PM
in reply to: #53894

User image

Veteran
Joysey
Subject: RE: Long Island Tri'ers?
I'm in Northern NJ but someone passed on this link to me and I thought that maybe it would be helpful to you

www.cnytriathlon.org

I think they're from the city but give it a go.

Shauna

Edited by FIN16 2004-08-26 4:03 PM
2004-08-27 9:11 AM
in reply to: #53902

User image

Regular
Long Island, NY
2010-05-18 10:18 AM

User image

[email protected]
There's a few of us in Long Beach: the boardwalk, beach, ocean and Rec Center are great for training but for any hillwork we usually have to travel a little bit.

Also, check out any Tri, running or biking Clubs in the general area, which are great resources for training, advice and camaraderie.
2010-05-18 12:13 PM

User image

I'm on the Sunrise Tri Team.  We have members out east by the Forks (where I am); members in Central Suffolk, Nassau and the City.  If you join the team they have a private message board where they post Team Rides, Swims and Runs. 

https://shop.sunrisetri.com/page/1274

Where on Long Island are you?  Me and a few other guys swim at Cedar Beach in Mt. Sinai.

2010-05-19 7:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New York
There is also the Runner's Edge tri team which is out of the Runner's Edge store in Farmingdale. Anyone is welcome to join, whether you've done a tri yet or not. All levels of experience and ability and a very friendly, helpful bunch.

2010-05-23 2:24 AM

User image

New York
I'm back and forth from Rockland to Long Island, my family all still live down there.  I'm currently training for the Gold Coast Tri in Port Wash, it'll be my first one. 
And I like the Runner's Edge in Farmingdale, it's a great shop!
2010-05-24 6:39 AM

hi

i also am looking for training partners. i need to get stronger. i'm from smithtown.
2010-06-01 4:27 PM

User image

New York
Planning a swim Thursday after a mountain bike ride out east in Rocky Point.  Not sure where the water is in relation to the trails, one of the gals I ride with is supposed to show me. 
Friday or Saturday might be Sunken Meadow swim, see how the weather goes. 
2010-06-10 3:06 PM

User image

[email protected]
Also, a few of us in Long Beach do a workout that consists of running on the beach and swimming in the ocean from jetty to jetty, followed by a bike ride. Not the correct order, but definitely covers the bases.
2010-06-10 3:10 PM
in reply to: #2914081

hi

long beach in nassau county? what time?

thanks erin

2010-06-14 10:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Big Dan - 2004-08-26 4:51 PM

Anyone from the Long Island area on here? I'd love to maybe find a group of people to train with -whether it be bike, swim, or run...even if it's on a casual basis. Feel free to PM or email me...or drop me a line in this thread! Thanks and have a good one!

I'm also on Long Island- Garden City. I'm on the Sunrise Tri team too- I'd highly recommend it. The people are insanely friendly and the message board is a good central location to plan workouts (although be warned- there are a lot of maniacs who like to train at 6 AM on the weekends ).

My schedule's all over the place, but the one constant is that I try to get in a long bike every weekend. It's getting up to about 4 hours now- I'll be going this Saturday morning on the north shore if you're interested. I'm not too fast either- I've been averaging about 13 miles an hour.
2010-06-16 6:21 AM
in reply to: #2921892

hi

i can't tell you how valuable a training partner is. i started training with someone and i increased my avg speed on the bike by a mile and 1/2 an hour. it's fun to chase and to be chased on the bike. we are going to run also, hoping the same principle applies.

erin

2010-06-16 9:28 PM
in reply to: #2914098

Bayside, NY
check out the long beach page, I put up date for some workouts on the weekends in long beach if your interested let me know

2010-06-17 9:08 AM

User image

Regular
Hey a few ppl are going to ride at old westbury early sat am - gotta get those hills in! Also if anyone wants to swim around 6pm at tobay beach (not oyster bay one - one near jones beach) usually try to get there at least once a week now. If anyone wants to swim in long beach or run let me know i live about 5 minutes away.
2010-06-26 11:30 PM
in reply to: #2924562

User image

Oakdale , New York
Hey Erinmac ! I'm looking for a Long Island training partner. I live in Oakdale and love training with other people. I'm currently doing sprint tri's, and have signed up for an olympic distance race later in the summer.  Let me know if you're interested ! thanks ! Tom

2010-06-26 11:48 PM
in reply to: #2921892

User image

Oakdale , New York
Totally looking for a training partner to enjoy this sort with ! I live in Oakdale, Suffolk County and am willing to travel a little to make it happen ! Love, love, love training ! Please lmk if interested Thanks, Tom
2010-06-27 4:31 AM
in reply to: #2946052

hi tom

very cool. my training partner, joe, and i start out in middle island and do a long bike ride sat and sunday mornings. we'd love to have you. we are training for montauk in oct. i'll pm after our ride this morning and let u know what we are doing on sat. sunday i have a tri.

ttyl
erin
2010-06-28 9:01 PM

User image

Regular
Durham, NC
Hi all,

So I'm visiting long island (brentwood, my home town) for about a week, arriving on wednesday (6/30). I'm coming from NC (triangle area) where I was introduced to triathlons. I'm coming with my bike and wanted to see what the tri community was like in LI (suffolk area mainly). I'll be moving back to NY next year in april and I wanted to start looking into what LI had to offer in group training. I've seen in this thread and others on groups mainly in Nassau. I think the closest I saw was the Farmingdale store (runners edge) and when I called today they said they really only host group runs (which is cool) but I would like to ride some too while i'm there. Any other shops (or groups) around the suffolk area that host rides and runs? Sunrise Tri look pretty awesome but it seems you have to be a member to ride with the group, any chance they allow a guest to ride with them? When I move back to NY, I'm pretty sure i'll join their team being that its the closest I see to brentwood/bayshore.

I'm also down to ride early early mornings or anytime with individuals that wouldn't mind a partner while i'm there which is from 6/30 to 7/9. Feel free to PM me.

I just read some stuff on sbrli.com about people swimming/training at sunken meadow, anyone on here go there to train? I'd love to swim/bike/run there with some people.

Hope to hear from some of you.

Alan

Edited by adiazny 2010-06-28 9:20 PM
2010-06-29 7:00 AM

check out some of the local bike shops
they usually do group rides and you dont have to belong to their club etc.

babylon bike shop
bike junkie (in bethpage) not far from suffolk
just to name a few

go on their websites or give them a call I forget off the top of my head what days and times their rides are
2010-06-30 10:25 AM
in reply to: #2949680

User image

Veteran
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
adiazny - 2010-06-28 10:01 PM Hi all,

So I'm visiting long island (brentwood, my home town) for about a week, arriving on wednesday (6/30). I'm coming from NC (triangle area) where I was introduced to triathlons. I'm coming with my bike and wanted to see what the tri community was like in LI (suffolk area mainly). I'll be moving back to NY next year in april and I wanted to start looking into what LI had to offer in group training. I've seen in this thread and others on groups mainly in Nassau. I think the closest I saw was the Farmingdale store (runners edge) and when I called today they said they really only host group runs (which is cool) but I would like to ride some too while i'm there. Any other shops (or groups) around the suffolk area that host rides and runs? Sunrise Tri look pretty awesome but it seems you have to be a member to ride with the group, any chance they allow a guest to ride with them? When I move back to NY, I'm pretty sure i'll join their team being that its the closest I see to brentwood/bayshore.

Check out Suffolk bike riders assoc, sbra, i know they do alot of group rides and i dont think you need to be a member but if you do it is only 20 bucks for the yr. Rides are all over suffolk and different times and skill levels as well.
I'm also down to ride early early mornings or anytime with individuals that wouldn't mind a partner while i'm there which is from 6/30 to 7/9. Feel free to PM me.

I just read some stuff on sbrli.com about people swimming/training at sunken meadow, anyone on here go there to train? I'd love to swim/bike/run there with some people.

Hope to hear from some of you.

Alan

2010-06-30 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2946057

User image

Veteran
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
tomtech - 2010-06-27 12:48 AM Totally looking for a training partner to enjoy this sort with ! I live in Oakdale, Suffolk County and am willing to travel a little to make it happen ! Love, love, love training ! Please lmk if interested Thanks, Tom

Tom, i live in Ronkonkoma and have only done sprints so far, maybe an Oly next season ... i swim with a group at connetquot h.s on tues/thurs nites and open water on wed nites. it is organized with coaches and lifeguards in kayaks/jetskiis for the open water so there is a small fee we all pay. My training schedule depends on my work schedule and kids schedule, and so on...
2010-06-30 10:38 AM
in reply to: #2953010

Luby162 - 2010-06-30 11:31 AM

tomtech - 2010-06-27 12:48 AM Totally looking for a training partner to enjoy this sort with ! I live in Oakdale, Suffolk County and am willing to travel a little to make it happen ! Love, love, love training ! Please lmk if interested Thanks, Tom

Tom, i live in Ronkonkoma and have only done sprints so far, maybe an Oly next season ... i swim with a group at connetquot h.s on tues/thurs nites and open water on wed nites. it is organized with coaches and lifeguards in kayaks/jetskiis for the open water so there is a small fee we all pay. My training schedule depends on my work schedule and kids schedule, and so on...

where do u open water swim on wed nights???? i am so wanting to practice my open water swimming.

thanks erin
2010-06-30 11:51 AM
in reply to: #2953024

User image

Veteran
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
erinmac - 2010-06-30 11:38 AM
Luby162 - 2010-06-30 11:31 AM

where do u open water swim on wed nights???? i am so wanting to practice my open water swimming. thanks erin

Erin, it changes from week to week. i will get an email letting me know on monday. i think they check out the currents or something. We swim in great river just south of the marina alot, they set up buoys for landmarks, we usually meet at 7 30 or so. i will post here when i get the email.

2010-06-30 12:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
try openwaterswimli.com
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long Island Tri'ers? Rss Feed  

of 2