General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Workout Question - Strides? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-19 5:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: Running Workout Question - Strides?
I'm using the 1/2 Ironman Beginner Training Program from this site. Mind you, I am pretty much a cyclist (just in case my handle was confusing!). So in the 3rd Week of the training plan, the plan introduces "strides" into the running workout. I have some real BASIC questions:

1) Can someone define "strides"?

2) How is this different than when you are normally running?

3) How do you know if you are "striding" (?) correctly?

4) What warnings about "strides" should I be aware of from an injury standpoint?

5) What is the benefit of adding "strides" to the workout!

6) Are strides used just during the training runs? (If they are good, why not use strides during a race?)

OR

7) is the goal to reinvent your run technique to a point that you literally stride through the entire race?

Any help appreciated! These may be basic questions to some of you, but I searched this site for these answers and didn't find anything.

GRATEFULLY!

The Cyclingmaniac!

2007-03-19 5:38 PM
in reply to: #729189

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: Running Workout Question - Strides?

This is from the Training Plan Terms and RPE/HR Zone Chart page

Strides - short repeats at a 5K pace with recovery in-between.  Each 'repeat/stride' should be about 20-30 seconds long and allow for a full recovery in between.  Make sure you are properly warmed up-at least 10 minutes before the first.  You are looking to get in about 45 left foot strikes per 26-28".  This number equals ~90 RPM, a running cadence that is the most efficient.  You will typically be doing 4-10 repeats of 20-30" strides with a full recovery between sets (depending on the particular workout) by walking back to the starting point. 

Over time with these workouts, you will see your cadence quicken, you will be lighter on your feet, and your run times will improve.

2007-03-19 5:38 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
I am not an expert, but this is the definition I received from my coach when I started running a few years ago. To me, Strides are basically short fast bursts that concentrate on leg turnover followed by a slightly longer recovery period. I like them, because they work on turn-over without killing you like mile repeates or long tempo runs. My inital plan included 10-12 :20 second strides, with a 1 minute recovery between each.

His definition:
Strides

You’re probably familiar with “Strides” though you may call them windsprints, pickups, striders or stride outs. They’re not unlike the fast accelerations that you probably right before a race. Strides work to improve your sprinting technique by teaching the legs to turn over quickly. It’s really the neuromuscular system that we’re trying to develop here which is why they are shorter than Anaerobic Capacity Intervals. They last only 50-200m because unlike the Anaerobic Capacity Intervals, we don’t want lactic acid to build up during each stride. This inhibits the nervous system and interferes with the neuromuscular adaptations that we want. Accordingly, after each stride, you must jog easily for a minimum of 30 seconds and up to a minute and a half to make sure the muscles are ready for the next one. Not allowing for sufficient recovery after each stride is a common mistake. Take advantage of the longer recovery. It will allow you to put more effort into each stride which really helps develop your speed.

2007-03-20 7:11 AM

User image

Runner

Heh.  This is another term that has multiple meanings, and depends on who you ask.

Strides are a neuromuscular sort of work-out.  They get your legs turning over quickly, and help develop proper form and increased stride length.  Also, they can act as a sort of key to tell your body that you're about to go fast and hard (if you do them before a race).

Strides can easily be incorporated into your long, medium, or after your short runs.  They are an easy workout from a physical standpoint, and can be done fairly often.  Generally, they consist of a steady increase up to speed, anywhere from mile to 5k pace, maintaining that speed for a short period of time, and then a steady decrease back down to an easy pace.  The recovery period between strides must be long enough to allow complete recovery, so usually anywhere from a minute to a minute and a half.

You could incorporate strides into your warm-up routine before a race.  I've done it, and you'll often see people doing short "sprints" from the starting line (those are strides).  Depending on the race, you might "stride" through the whole thing, but it's doubtful for the simple fact that most people can run a mile much faster than they can run 3, 6, or whatever.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Workout Question - Strides? Rss Feed