General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A Wetsuit Tip that applies to all wetsuits - from Emilio Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-01-05 1:12 PM
in reply to: #1885637

User image

Sunny San Diego
Subject: RE: A Wetsuit Tip that applies to all wetsuits - from Emilio
Hello Linda,

That De Soto Forza Trisuit looks great on you.

A few times swimming in chlorine could not have ruined the suit unless you happened to have swam the day after the pool was super-chlorinated (a periodical process done to all pools), and this can happen even to those companies who claim to have chlorine resistant products....NOTHING IS CHLORINE RESISTANT.

Send me an email (email address is below my name) with a photo of the suit. I will be able to tell you if we can repair it for you or something.

Below is an article I wrote years ago that may be worth putting up as another TIP from Emilio.

Prolong the life of your clothing.

The information below applies to just about all brands of triathlon apparel, but I am referring only to care of De Soto Products.

To prolong the life of your tri clothing:

1.  Do not wear them in hot showers, hot Jacuzzis, steam rooms, saunas, and do not wash in hot water.  Hot water and hot surfaces burns the Lycra or spandex fibers, leaving the material see-through after a short time.

2.  Do not put them in the dryer, do not place them near a heater, and do not dry them with a hair dryer, oven, or microwave (yep I have heard it all).  Suit spinners are fine, but nothing that emits heat.

3.  Use the product! Do not store it inside a drawer buried under other garments.  Have you ever pulled something you have not worn in a long time (like a swimsuit or underwear), and stretched the elastic on it to find that it stays stretched out and it no longer has “elasticity?” It has dried up and deteriorated on you from sitting in that drawer.

4.  Chlorine will shorten the life of a garment, especially a garment that has spandex or lycra in it. Swimming pools will regularly be “super-chlorinated” (a process done to burn up the pollutants with strong oxidizing chemicals) and there will spots of excessively concentrated chlorine that will ruin garments.  Do not swim in your most valued Tri Shorts as they will not last long in the pool.

And the worst, and least known destroyer of tri clothing

5.  Do not wrap your garments in a towel and do not stuff them in your gear bag. Also keep them out of plastic bags.  Bacteria starts to form within 120 minutes on any moist surface that is restricted to fresh air. The best thing to do after using a tri short or a tri suit is to rinse it immediately in cold water and let it breathe, let it get lots of air...fresh air.  Let it hang on the outside of your pack, or place it in large mesh pocket that gets a lot of air.

2009-01-06 3:38 AM
in reply to: #734017

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland

Thanks for the tip Emilio.

I just got my first wetsuit last summer and I would never have thought to wet it before use, but it dose make a lot of sense so thanks again

2009-01-06 6:13 AM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida

Emilio, i posted a question on another thread i can't find now so i'll ask it again here...

I just bought a T1 last week.  How do you suggest i store it between uses and for the off season?

2009-01-09 1:59 PM
in reply to: #1888679

User image

Sunny San Diego
Hello and sorry for the late reply, I am just swamped right now. You should have received care instructions with your T1.

HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR T1 WETSUIT

Rinse the T1 with clean water after every use.
Hang the T1 to dry, but not on a wire hanger.
When the T1 is dry inside and out, store by folding once or laying it unfolded.
Do not use petroleum jellies, or Pam Spray!
Do not leave the T1 hanging for a long period of time.
Do not expose the T1 to direct sunlight or heat.
Do not machine wash or dry.
Do not dig your nails into the T1!
While Chlorine may hurt other brands, it does not hurt the T1, so go ahead and swim in the pool with it. Just make sure you rinse it really well after every use.

One of the best places to store your T1 is under your bed! Between uses it is fine to keep it on a hanger and best if it is padded and not smashed between other garments in a closet.
2009-01-09 2:48 PM
in reply to: #1898046

User image

Extreme Veteran
To add to the above tips, I've also found with my surfing suits that if you have nowhere to store it flat in the off-season (like one of those under-the-bed sweater storage totes) hanging the suit folded at the waist over the rod in a closet or something helps reduce the stress on the shoulder area, especially for the thicker 6/5/4 and 5/4/3 winter suits that weigh a ton.
2009-01-09 2:51 PM
in reply to: #1898232

User image

Sunny San Diego
Yes, but the T1 is a two piece wetsuit so you do not have that issue of weight on the shoulders like you do with one-piece suits, but thanks for your input....it will be helpful for those less fortunate who do not own a T1!

2009-01-09 3:51 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida

hey Emilio

i spoke with someone from your company yesterday on the phone about my T1 fit and they told me that keeping it on a hanger was ok....even for extended periods of time.   i asked if they were sure and they said it was ok.

so i shouldn't keep it on the hanger?   just fold it over and store it when not using it for longer periods of time?

2009-01-09 3:59 PM
in reply to: #1314264

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Emilio - 2008-04-03 4:15 PM IT is pretty easy putting on a wet wetsuit, just use plastic grocery bags over your feet and hands. The limbs will slide right in.

I tried out this plastic grocery bag trick yesterday, and it WORKS AMAZINGLY.  That just made getting into my wetsuit far, far easier.  Awesome tip, thanks for all this info !!!

2009-01-09 4:27 PM
in reply to: #1898459

User image

Sunny San Diego
I guess it depends on how you define EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME. I would not leave it on a hanger for that 30 days at a time. The suit is not a silk sweater so it will not get ruined by leaving it on a hanger if the hanger is over an inch in diameter and it is padded. Go with my recommendation and you will be happier.
2009-01-09 4:27 PM
in reply to: #1898495

User image

Sunny San Diego
ah, good to know I am not as dumb as I look!
2009-01-09 6:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
Emilio, you rock! These are awesome tips and I, for one, definitely appreciate the time you put into answering all of our questions!

2009-01-11 11:44 AM
in reply to: #1898724

User image

Sunny San Diego
Thanks for your kind words. With 28 consecutive seasons of triathlon training and racing, and 22 years in making triathlon apparel, I have a lot of tips! I will post them as time permits for you here!
2009-01-11 3:39 PM
in reply to: #1898495

SevenZulu - 2009-01-09 3:59 PM

Emilio - 2008-04-03 4:15 PM IT is pretty easy putting on a wet wetsuit, just use plastic grocery bags over your feet and hands. The limbs will slide right in.

I tried out this plastic grocery bag trick yesterday, and it WORKS AMAZINGLY.  That just made getting into my wetsuit far, far easier.  Awesome tip, thanks for all this info !!!

Reminds me as a little kid my mom and the other mom's would put our feet in empty bread bags to slip into our snow boots.  Man that's been at least 37 years and as soon as I read this it popped in my head.

Joe

Sorry for the off topic thought.

Edited by Puppetmaster 2009-01-11 3:40 PM
2009-04-13 8:08 PM

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Bump.

For us Georgians tri season is but a few weeks away.  Time to go soak the wetsuit and get in an OWS!

Emilio - what is the best way to wash your wetsuit off after a race?  And the best way to dry it?

Thanks!

Edited by Lisa B 2009-04-13 8:14 PM
2009-04-13 9:14 PM

User image

Champion
MA
I put my wetsuits in the bath last night to soak as we are going to FL this weekend to race.

Good reminder everyone and helpful to not rip your wetsuit when putting it on first time in the spring.
2009-04-14 10:04 AM

User image

Im looking over the desoto catalog i ordered and wondering what wetsuit should i buy?  Im a brand-spankin-new newbie who doesnt know much about wetsuits...  Because im a terrible swimmer, i thought it a good idea to get some added help!!! It was tough enough to get my wife to sign off on that brand new bike. she thinks i should rent one first. any suggestions for a new guy wanting to continue doing triathlons but a little short on cash?

2009-04-14 12:52 PM

User image

New user

Hey Lonny,

Chuck Cates here with De Soto, and I am more than happy to discuss affordable options with you on any of our wetsuit options. We have a very nice entry level wetsuit, the Smart1, and we also have a limited selection of "demo" wetsuits that have either been used and returned to us or new with slight cosmetic blemishes.

A wetsuit is certainly a long term investment that will require a lot of research and educating yourself, and I am glad to assist you with that. One of the great things about our T1 Wetsuits, is or 14 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee, where you have 14 days after your purchase to test the suit as much as you like, and if you are not completely satisfied, we will exchange it for you or give you your money back, no questions asked. This is not only a tremendous safety net for beginners, but for triathletes at any level looking to invest in a new wetsuit!

My contact information is below, and feel free to do so at your convenience:

Chuck Cates
Director of Marketing and Advertising - De Soto Triathlon Company
phone: 858.578-6672
email: [email protected]
web:  desotosport.com
2009-06-02 7:19 AM
in reply to: #2083707

User image

Expert
Niskayuna, New York
With all the races this weekend I think its time for a bump
2009-06-02 9:08 AM

New user
Great thread. Nice tips. 
2009-06-02 9:25 AM

Veteran
Vicksburg
Thanks for the tip
2012-03-26 11:46 AM

User image

Sunny San Diego
It is that time of the year for me to rebumb this post for the sake of those who either did not know this, or those who forgot!

Once a year I post this so that newbies can learn about this:

It is the start of the season. Just before your first race you pull out your wetsuit. You have not worn it in months. You put it on and it just plain feels tighter than you remember it feeling.

Did it shrink?
Is the rubber less flexible?
Do you need a new wetsuit?

NO, NO, and NO

…well, more like

sort of, sort of, and yes unless you already own a T1 (just kidding).

The Tip: Soak your wetsuit a few days before the race. Soak it in a tub with 3 inches of water for about 5 minutes a few days before your race.

The Reason: Wetsuits are kind of like sponges. When they are moist they are supple and flexible. Believe it or not, your wetsuits stay moist for days, even weeks between uses, though appear dry… just like a sponge. Over time, as it gets really dry, it gets stiff and not-so-supple, thus feeling like it shrunk…like the way a sponge shrinks up. More wetsuits rip at the start of the season, than any other time of the year. Good if you are me, bad if you are you. But your wetsuit will last longer if you wet it before you wear it!

2012-03-26 11:53 AM
in reply to: #4113483

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Awwman!  I wish I saw this thread a couple weeks ago before I went out for a OWS practice.  I remember telling myself to soak my wetsuit several days before the swim but I forgot.  Doh! >.<  I'm so happy it didn't rip or anything but I did notice it was harder to get my strokes in and my shoulders felt sore for a couple days after.  Should I soak it in water again before I use it again this week?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A Wetsuit Tip that applies to all wetsuits - from Emilio Rss Feed  

of 3