Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Muskoka Long and Peterboro half feedback Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-03 1:48 PM

Toronto
Subject: Muskoka Long and Peterboro half feedback
My goals for the year are to complete these 2 then see if I ready for the Ottawa full in Sept.

I've heard they're both challenging courses but does anyone know of any race reports or more detailed info out there?

I've heard about the heat and hills in Peterboro. I'd like to learn more about the total climbing etc for the bike. If anyone ever ridden up to Belfountain, how they compare the 2 rides?

Thanks!

2007-04-03 2:45 PM
in reply to: #747381

User image

Extreme Veteran
Orangeville, Ontario
Subject: RE: Muskoka Long and Peterboro half feedback
I ride around Belfountain, the Grange and The forks of the Credit most weekends.
I have raced Muskoka 3 times and Peterbough 1.

If you can ride the hills in Caledon you won't have a problem.

The climb at Old Base Line is a great Hill Repeat workout.
Do you ride with a club?

Geoff
2007-04-03 9:10 PM

Toronto
Thanks for the feedback.

I've been on Old Base line several times. Often I ride up to King and Mississauga Rd (55k) or up to Belfountain (~77k) if I have time.

I post a good 100k route on the "Cycling in GTA and around" thread. It goes up through Belfountain to Orangeville and back to Missy. I did this twice last yr and it is a cahllenging ride.

I train with the Mississauga tri club in the winter but just bike outside with several informal groups ... yourself?
2007-04-04 3:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Orangeville, Ontario
I train with a group called C3, Canadian Cross Training Club. Inglewood is our home base.
We also have a quarry where we do our long swims, starts in May, let me know if your interested and I would be happy to introduce you.

For more information go to www.c3online.ca

Contact me if you have any questions and see you on the beautiful roads of Caledon!

Geoff
2007-05-04 8:23 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

Are there similar terrain east of Yonge, in Stouffville / Aurora / Markham area?

Patricia

2007-05-06 4:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm looking for feedback on Peterboro too.

Anyone know how strict they are with the cut off times. I'm not worried about the swim, maybe the bike, but I believe they close the course at 7:30 hours. Is that right?

I'm hoping to come in at close to 7 hours to 7:30. I'd hate cross at 7:31 and not get a finishers medal or offical time.

I hate cutoffs!!!

I'm considering trying the Ottawa full in the fall if this one goes well.

Only 9 weeks till go time!

Edited by TimmyMay 2007-05-06 4:28 PM

2007-05-19 11:51 AM

Toronto
Would you guys recommend a road bike setup for Muskoka (for the climbing) or a TT bike setup?

My TT bike is really designed for the flats of Ironman Florida (really low front end), and is quite poor at negotiating hills.

I've got a road bike with a slacker geometry, but I have never run off that bike before. If you have both bikes available, which one would you use for Muskoka?

Cheers
Arthur
2007-09-01 1:40 PM
in reply to: #807898

Any replies to the Muskoka bike question (TT vs. road)? Couldn't find anything. Just signed up to do it. Any comparisons of Muskoka to Timberman?

Thanks!
2007-09-01 8:18 PM
in reply to: #949702

Toronto
Just a clarification - we were talking about the Muskoka Chase race that takes place in June.

IMC North has just announced the Muskoka 70.3 (half) which has a different course with only a little overlap.

I was lucky enough to chat with Lisa Bentley (my hero) at IMC and she is really pumped about thie venue and plans. I believe she has a stake in this new venture and she will make it a winner for sure! I will be there as well.

Having now done the chase, Petrboro and Penticton, I know that a tri bike was the right answer for me but it should come down to comfort more than anything!

Good Luck
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Muskoka Long and Peterboro half feedback Rss Feed