General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Balancing Training and Family Time Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-09 4:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Subject: Balancing Training and Family Time
I have been working hard at trying to minimize the impact of my training schedule on the family - i.e., training early in the morning, training at lunch, etc. Nevertheless, training for an HIM takes its toll on time with the family (could not imagine training for a full IM). I have started to get a little (a lot) heat from the spouse. Welcome any suggestions / ideas / thoughts as to how you balance family and training.

Edited by swiss tri 2007-04-09 4:21 PM

2007-04-09 7:36 PM
in reply to: #754372

Expert
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Subject: RE: Balancing Training and Family Time
I think the best you can do is train early in the AM and at lunch. I like to take Sunday's off and give that day to the Family. Make sure your workouts are quality and not just filler cause you like to see a high number of hours on your logs.

Is your wife a runner or does she works out. If she does she will work with you. Sit down with her and the family calender and plan it out together.
2007-04-09 7:58 PM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
My wife has been great during the IMAZ training.I ride/run after the wee onegoes to bed, and I swim right after work. It can be rough. Thank goodness I have a supportive wife.
2007-04-09 8:24 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Some SlowTwitch athletes scoff at IM finishers running across the finish line with their spouse and/or kids ... but I've got to tell you that the victory of that moment is in no small part to the sacrifice they too have made.

I am not going to lie to you, longer distance races take time.  I cannot remember the last Saturday morning I spent with my family.  My 28 mo old see a guy in spandex shorts + a bike helmet and yells "Hi Daddy!"

It takes a supportive spouse and family to get it done.  So the real question is "How do I get that?"

For me it was sitting down with my wife and telling her the importance of achieving this goal was to me.  As a smoker for 19 years (roughly a decade or so of which with her), she understood ... as well as the fact that this training was not going to last forever - just until this Coeur d'Alene in June after IMFL in November.

She was good knowing that there was an end in sight, albeit in the distance, and knowing that it was not forever.

I also make sure that she knows of big training days and events on the calendar so she can plan + schedule around them.

So, in short, the answer for us was and still is communication. 

2007-04-09 8:31 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

I am married with three young children and am training for my first IM. There is no getting around the fact that it is tough. I have an extremely supportive wife and we discussed this a lot before I jumped into it. But there are times when I know that it drives her nuts and I do feel guilty a lot.

Like many others, I try to get my workouts done in the early morning and at lunch when I can. But the weekends are now being eaten up by the longer and longer workouts.

I don't have much in the way of advice. Make sure to let her know that you know how stressful it might be for her.

2007-04-09 8:57 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

One thing I have done is take advantage some commute time.  i.e.  when we go somewhere as a family, I take the bike/running shoes along.  Then on the way home, which would typically be sleep time for kids, I either ride or run home.  On Sunday's I can get a 2 hour ride in on the way home from church and only "miss" 1:15 of family time.  And some of that is just prepping lunch.  Yes, it does add a little extra load to my wife, but she is very supportive.  Another example was the Easter Egg hunt.  Took the running shoes and ran home from there.  they were in the car for 15  minutes and I got a 35 minute run, only missing "20 minutes".

Being creative and keeping them high on the priority list is important and also blowing of a workout or two to meet their needs.

Good luck, it is doable 

2007-04-10 11:05 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
I'm also getting ready for a 1/2-IM. Good suggestions in the above posts.

Communication is key as well -- why you want to do it, what's upcoming in the training cycle. Keep the family in the loop.

One other balancing act -- I won't even try to do an IM until my son's in college. Training seriously for a half has given me a good idea of a big commitment training for an IM would be, and if I'm going to do an IM I want to do it right. Better to "enjoy" yourself than just survive, in my opinion.
2007-04-10 2:37 PM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

I'm starting my IM training in May, race is in September.

I have a pretty good situation (for now, never know when things might change, but I'm hoping they don't). My wife is a teacher, so she'll be off from June to the end of August. And I work from home. So I'll be able to spend lots of quality time with the family (we have 2 preschool aged kids).

Still, like everyone else said, early morning, lunchtime, and nighttime workouts are good things. I'm a morning person, so getting up at 4am to run isn't too difficult to do once a week.

One thing that I'm doing is shifting a few of my long rides to match the local ride calendars in the area. For example, I switched the day of my 6 hour ride to a week earlier, and we'll both be going out to Wichita Falls for the Hotter n Hell Hundred. The kids can stay at her parents or mine. That way I get my long workout in, and she gets to do a long ride with a friend as well. She doesn't feel like I'm ditching her to ride.

It also helps that she is training for her first Olympic, so she understands my desire to get the workouts in. Can be tough for us both to do it, but since she's off all summer, it's not too bad.

2007-04-11 7:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Wayne, IN
This is my first 1/2IM and what I've done that has worked so far...
1. Make sure he/she know's why you're doing it and what it means to you (health, role model to kids, etc.)
2. I sat with my wife, went through the training program week by week and put these sessions on a calendar 1 week in advance - Time of day and where I am. Changes based on weather must be communicated asap - that is a huge.
3. Put as much as you can on early AM or lunch hour.
4. Try and put long sessions early AM on weekends.
5. Try and have the kids bike as you run if they can keep up. Take them to pool/lake if they are old enough to swim unattended but you'll be nearby. Also try and run after the kids go to sleep - I love daylight savings time.
6. Take your spouse or whole family out to dinner or whatever is special from time to time DO NOT TALK TRAINING AT ALL unless they bring it up.
7. Plan special one on one outings with each separate child to talk, play, or do their favorite activity.

I may be served divorce papers tomorrow, but atleast it'll be a complete surprise if that happens ;>)
2007-04-11 7:56 AM

User image

Expert
My husband and I are IM training together - we have a 7 yr. old & 4 yr. old & we both work. The balance is tough but we have worked out that I take am he takes off while kids are getting off to bed. Many hours (so far, many, many more to come) on the trainers together. It is really cool to share this training togehter. Our challenge is that he is quite a bit faster on the bike so our original plan of long rides together for 'date time' isn't working out so well. We are rewarding all this training time apart w/a cruise in Oct. to reconnect & celebrate our acheivement (we hope!!)
2007-04-11 8:37 AM
in reply to: #754632

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
brian - 2007-04-09 8:24 PM

Some SlowTwitch athletes scoff at IM finishers running across the finish line with their spouse and/or kids ... but I've got to tell you that the victory of that moment is in no small part to the sacrifice they too have made.

I am not sure what this part of your post has anything to do with the OP, but you can add me to those no so supportive to that now popular practice unfortunately.

To the OP, it is definitely tough for you married/parent peeps, but you just have to find a balance and if you can follow the best plan for your specific needs it should be challenging but doable. You might want to do a search on the different forums about this topic as there had been many great threads in the past in which many BTers had shares the way they manage to balance out both. Good luck!

2007-04-11 12:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
I am mother to 3 age 2, 5, and 7, work 60 hours a week and have a husband who does the same. I did a half-IM last year and am doing another 1/2 and IMFL this year. I get up at 4:30 am most mornings, including the weekend days. If you get up this early, you can get in most of your training while the kids are sleeping. Probably at least 80% of my biking is on the trainer. (Look at my logs. I swear this is true.) I will get in long rides by getting up early on a weekend, riding 2 hours on the trainer until the sun comes up, and then hitting the road for another 2 hours. This allows my husband to run while I'm on the trainer, then I get out later, and an entire 4 hour ride is done by 9 am. For my really long rides to get ready for IMFL, I have actually scheduled 5 days off from work as training days. That way I can get in the ride when I would have been working and don't lose an entire half of a weekend day. I also spend at least half of my running time going up and down our long driveway and the road out in front of our house while in ear shot of the baby monitor. (Again, early in the morning. The neighbors think I am crazy I know.) I never work out after work. This is sacred family time. We also have a double baby jogger that I will use when possible.

The key is to be flexible and do whatever you have to do even if it is not ideal training. Try to impact your time with the family as little as possible. I am nowhere near as good a cyclist as a lot of others, but I made the distance comfortably for my half. I know I won't be the first one across the line, but that is O.K.

The other posts are so right about communication too.

Good luck to you.
2007-04-11 12:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
I forgot to add that races and organized rides etc eat up a lot of time. I am only doing 3 races the whole year and ride on my own. Again, these things help if you can do them, but they will mean more time away.
2007-04-11 1:04 PM
in reply to: #757330

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
kimje - 2007-04-11 1:43 PM

I forgot to add that races and organized rides etc eat up a lot of time. I am only doing 3 races the whole year and ride on my own. Again, these things help if you can do them, but they will mean more time away.

That's so very true. If I made a habit of doing organized rides, runs, etc., I'd never be home! Around here at least, the people who do those as a habit seem to be either (A) aren't married (B)married, no kids, or (C)kids are grown. A nice 3-4 hour training ride on Sunday afternoon works for them, but not for me.

Get used to lots of early-morning quality time with yourself if you're serious about training AND family
2007-04-11 2:44 PM

User image

Master
I don't know if this is possible for you, but if you can do so bike commuting can add some miles without taking too much time from family. By car it takes me 40 minutes to get to work; biking adds just 20 minutes to that and I'm pretty slow.
2007-04-11 11:44 PM

User image

Westminster, CO

tough.  I have a 14 month old and our second is due next month.  honestly I don't know how training will go this summer.  I may have to revise my race schedule and ultimately my IMFL goals.  we have a lot of support from family and friends - which helps.  my supportive wife knows, too, how important this is to me.

the other constraint I face is the resources ($$) this sport requires.  I've had to reduce my MTB inventory to procure a road bike for training and dilligently scan craigslist/ebay for values (race helmet, wesuit, etc).

as for training, yes - try to absorb and much during the week into your "work" hours.  when I come home, its family time.  swimming/running at lunch helps a lot.  early morning rides on weekends reduces the impact.  quick runs right after work are staples in my schedule. Its tough making my own sacrifices but its worth it - and makes the achievement that much more significant.

2007-04-12 9:35 AM
in reply to: #756698

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
amiine - 2007-04-11 9:37 AM
brian - 2007-04-09 8:24 PM

I am not sure what this part of your post has anything to do with the OP, but you can add me to those no so supportive to that now popular practice unfortunately.

To the OP, it is definitely tough for you married/parent peeps, but you just have to find a balance and if you can follow the best plan for your specific needs it should be challenging but doable. You might want to do a search on the different forums about this topic as there had been many great threads in the past in which many BTers had shares the way they manage to balance out both. Good luck!

Let me preface this first by saying I respect your opinion, Jorge, and appreciate the insightful posts/responses you make to questions, etc.  However, on this, I'm going to respectfully disagree with you.

If/when you've got a family, you'll probably understand that this part of Brian's post has EVERYTHING to do with OP...I'm just a HIM/IM lurker at this point, but am already trying to get a bead on prepping for same with family in mind.

As it seems that many people who've responded to this thread DO care about the impact of training upon QT w/family, I understood Brian to be saying vis a vis his comment that crossing the finish line with family is a victory for the entire family, not just the HIM/IM participant.  It's a way to keep the "ties that bind" tight and allow each member to celebrate in the sacrifices that everybody's made to get to that point.

2007-04-12 9:41 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
To echo Lou and Brian, if you have a family then an IM finish is a TOTAL family effort. The time that you sacrifice with them and the extra work that your SO has to do makes them as much a part of the finish as the athlete that actually ran the race.
2007-04-12 2:36 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

If you guys want to start another thread to avoid hijacking this one I'll be happy to discuss why I think different. In the end it, I don’t think it has anything to do with been married and having kids (if that is what you are making reference as a family) but the choices one make. You can either choose to spend time away from your family training for an IM or spending time with your family AND training for a less time consuming distance. Also, unlike others peeps that see it as a degrading thing for the sport, or an annoying thing for their finishing experience, trust me I don’t think that at all. Anyway, IMO it is all about your choices and priorities…

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Balancing Training and Family Time Rss Feed