General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TIRE QUESTION and TOP SPEED Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-01 10:31 PM

User image

Regular
St. Louis, Mo.
Subject: TIRE QUESTION and TOP SPEED
is it possible to have a catostrophic blow out with a bike tire or are they more likely to have a slow leak? I found a new place to ride with great hills but it scares me that a tire could just blow like on a car and I'd be a skid mark. It's fun to go up at 5mph then to circle back and hit 47.+mph on the way down.

Also, I know this is childish but what's the fastest you've gone on a bike? I'm striving for 50 but everytime I go to Babler all I can hit is 47 - 48. My riding buddy say's I'm crazy but I love it. This is a very safe place to ride, the road is probably 40'+ wide and paved perfectly. In 2.5 hours of riding at Babler State Park I've only seen 8 cars, 1 school bus, 1 motorcycle and about 30 bicyclists around the parking lot. It's so deserted that I have yet to pass one or be passed while going the same direction. Oh, and all kinds of wildlife. I think I may get one of those deer scary noise maker things for cars; today I passed by a deer within 15' at top speed.

2004-09-01 11:07 PM
in reply to: #56662

User image

Expert
Montreal
Subject: RE: TIRE QUESTION and TOP SPEED
Hi DaveG,

Yes it is possible to have a catasrophic blowout with a bike tire. I had one yesterday, but I was lucky I had just dropped my speed from about 30K to 20K to make a turn when I heard the rear tire go. From 120 lbs pressure to 0 in about 2 seconds. Turned out to be a defective tube (I just put in a new tube and a new tire two days ago) that blew out on the top side next to the valve stem.

The speeds you are talking about - 75K roughly - would scare me with fully inflated tires so I don't know what I would do with a blow out at that speed.
2004-09-02 12:18 AM

User image

Regular
St. Louis, Mo.
When I get a slow flat from road debris I can hear the offending peice of debris tapping the ground as the wheel rolls. I just saw on Leno that Lance said 70 is about the top speed they hit and around 10 on the hills. I'm about 1/2 of what The Tour guy's do. Yeah, I'm putting a lot of confidence in the tires. I could only imagine the end result if something went wrong. Maybe I'll listen to the inner-Dave who instinctivly pulls on the brake levers down these hills.
2004-09-02 12:35 AM
in reply to: #56691

Regular
SOBX, NC
That is amazing, 70 mph! I had a blow out on my mountain bike last weekend (front tire) while going downhill on rocks and sand at about 35 mph. Luckily I was able to gradually slow down without turning so I didn't fall. I am not sure, but I would say that if you do get a blowout at high speed, avoid braking and turning until at a slow, safe speed.
2004-09-02 7:52 AM

User image

Veteran
PA
Make no mistake - you are always at risk of a tire blowing out, but the odds are in your favor. If you are on a MTB, the chances of a blowout are much greater at speed, but I'm sure you'll find plenty of road riders who have blowout stories to tell. In my own experience, I have blown several MTB tires and have only had slow leaks on a road bike. On a MTB, you can add some protection by putting some "slime" (green stuff sold at every bike store, but I can't remember what it's called) in your tire the fills virtually any hole you put in a tire to help prevent blowouts. I'm not sure if it will work on a road bike tire - biggest problem is added weight. Getting a bell is a great idea. I almost hit a cow on a ride in Marin, CA a few years ago.

I've never tracked my speed on a MTB downhill, but on the road my fastest is 68K (not much downhill in Bermuda!).
2004-09-02 8:15 AM

New user

manchester
I have had blowouts at 30 mph going down wide roads particularly one close to where I live, the end result (touch wood) up to now has been the tire deflating and taking the back wheel wherever it wants to go. Very unpredictable. It has helped slow the bike down for obvious reasons but the unpredictability has also made me go for the brakes when i get anywhere near a speed where i feel coming off would cause me some serious damage. I would use the thought of what could happen worst case to limit your speed particularly on training rides.

Other thing to do bear in mind are things like elbow scrape pads and a good helmet for stuff like that, watching the olympics those guys are more padded up than in any other sport I have seen.

Take care mate!

2004-09-02 9:01 AM

User image

Elite

I go with the inner Dave, too.  I ride rural hilly roads.  No flat tires so far, but the corners at the bottom are usually sharp and there are wide patches of loose gravel.  I would rather rub off some speed and brake pad material than some hide.  Of course, I am a  sissy.

TW

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TIRE QUESTION and TOP SPEED Rss Feed