of 2

2007-04-21 9:14 PM
in reply to: #769101

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: IM with a Garmin?
ultramike - 2007-04-19 2:18 PM

brieper - 2007-04-19 11:18 AM I like your concept of recharging via a USB battery pack seems like a good idea but how do you get the 305 to stay on the usb cradle to charge while on the bike... I can hardly keep it on while recharging on a desk. Any time I jar the desk the thing disconnects.

I strapped the cradle in between the watch and my polar bike mount before the ride. So the watch strap basically held it all together.   And I put some tape over the Mini-USB hole in the cradle in case of rain. 

Good to know this works. I considered trying this for IMAZ 07 last Sunday, but my coach wanted me to be entirely HR focused on the bike, then pace focused on the run.

Ultimately I decided to wear two chest straps - the 305 chest strap and my Polar chest strap, and strap the Polar unit to the bike before the start of the race and put the 305 on my wrist in T1.

I rode with only HR info and time of day from the Polar, no speed (the 305 normally provides speed on my P3C). I turned on the Garmin three times just to see my speed (29 mph with a tailwind on Beeline, 15 mph going the other way, 11 mph on loop 2's headwind).

In T2, I yanked off the Polar's HR strap and turned on the Garmin.

Maybe next year I'll try the "charge on the fly" approach. Or maybe I'll have an Edge 305 for the bike by then.

Edited by brucemorgan 2007-04-21 9:15 PM

2007-04-21 9:19 PM
in reply to: #771544

User image

Veteran
Overland Park, KS (Like the OC but OP)
brucemorgan - 2007-04-21 9:14 PM

brieper - 2007-04-19 11:18 AM I like your concept of recharging via a USB battery pack seems like a good idea but how do you get the 305 to stay on the usb cradle to charge while on the bike... I can hardly keep it on while recharging on a desk. Any time I jar the desk the thing disconnects.

I strapped the cradle in between the watch and my polar bike mount before the ride. So the watch strap basically held it all together. And I put some tape over the Mini-USB hole in the cradle in case of rain.

Good to know this works. I considered trying this for IMAZ 07 last Sunday, but my coach wanted me to be entirely HR focused on the bike, then pace focused on the run.

Ultimately I decided to wear two chest straps - the 305 chest strap and my Polar chest strap, and strap the Polar unit to the bike before the start of the race and put the 305 on my wrist in T1.

Man... that had to be uncomfortable...

BTW... I did a test today letting my 305 drain down and went out for a dred (100 miles for those on the East Coast). I got the battery low warning and EXACTLY 2 hours later she went off.
2007-04-21 9:33 PM
in reply to: #771547

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
brieper - 2007-04-21 7:19 PM

brucemorgan - 2007-04-21 9:14 PM

Man... that had to be uncomfortable...

Surprisingly enough, it wasn't at all uncomfortable. I expected it to be, but it wasn't. I had never done that before in training. They were snugged up right next to each other, and I really didn't notice either one. In fact, I suspect having the Polar strap under the Garmin strap stopped the Garmin from sliding down my back, which tends to happen on the bike.

BTW, I always break that "don't try anything new during the race you didn't try during training" rule. In my (probably silly) opinion, each race is a new day, a new set of circumstances, a thing all to its own. So I try new things and tempt fate. I suspect the trick is to know what to change (things like two straps) and what not to change (running shoes or nutrition).
2007-04-21 9:50 PM
in reply to: #771553

User image

Veteran
Overland Park, KS (Like the OC but OP)

Surprisingly enough, it wasn't at all uncomfortable. I expected it to be, but it wasn't. I had never done that before in training. They were snugged up right next to each other, and I really didn't notice either one. In fact, I suspect having the Polar strap under the Garmin strap stopped the Garmin from sliding down my back, which tends to happen on the bike.

BTW, I always break that "don't try anything new during the race you didn't try during training" rule. In my (probably silly) opinion, each race is a new day, a new set of circumstances, a thing all to its own. So I try new things and tempt fate. I suspect the trick is to know what to change (things like two straps) and what not to change (running shoes or nutrition).

I've crewed quite a bit for UltraCycling events and I am always shocked at guys showing up for a 500 mile or 24 hour event, or even worse the 3000 mile RAAM, ingesting chemical crap for the first time when the gun goes off. Seeya at mile 145 on all fours losing your last solid meal.

And then there was Jock Boyer who shows up for RAAM last year with 3 brand new $7000 bikes on which had a grand total of 35 miles. And then goes out and wins the solo division at the age of 51. Go figure!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM with a Garmin? Rss Feed  

of 2