General Discussion Race Reports! » Virginia Triathlon Series - Race #3 Kinetic Half Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Virginia Triathlon Series - Race #3 Kinetic Half - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Spotsylvania, Virginia
United States
Set-Up, Inc
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 16m
Overall Rank = 31/68
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/16
Pre-race routine:

Woke up after a fair night sleep (considering) and had a bowl of grits & 3 egg whites (like always!) Got packed up and rode to race location. I was cold!!! Worried about staring the race cold.
Event warmup:

Got in the water about 15 min. before expected start time, got used to the numbness and swam around a little. Filled the suit then waited.
Swim
  • 28m 25s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

I decided to take the swim nice and slow just to get it done. The bunching was tough, but I thought it was good prep for IMKY!! I enjoyed the water and felt great. Never went above a zone 2 HR. Very slow swim time for me but I was just trying to take it easy and not overexert.
What would you do differently?:

Kick it up, I felt great, smooth swim stroke, could have shaved a few minuites off here
Transition 1
  • 05m 42s
Comments:

Was I camping or in transition? I'm not sure. My hands were numb, which was funny b/c they felt fine during the swim. I couldn't get my suit off, then couldn't get my socks on. I finally just sat down and manuvered them on. It was weird to see my hands there and not be able to control them. Glad I chose not to put ont he long sleve shirt, should have taken the time to get all my food out of it to put into my tri jersey.

Warmer water?!
Bike
  • 3h 21m 36s
  • 55 miles
  • 16.37 mile/hr
Comments:

So once again I was really taking it easy. Using the IM plan of first 1/4 in zone 2, second bumping into zone 3, solid zone 3 for last 2. I was suprised at how good I felt EXCEPT, had to pee for 15 miles, didn't want to stop, so I stopped eating & drinking b/c I was hurting. Finally stopped to pee, felt better but then my stomach started to cramp. Bad. I had a gel and gatorade (why did I use gatorade, I never train w/ it, my stomach is iffy anyway and wasn't even supposed to switch to gels until the run. So much for a RACE PLAN!!) Finished the last 1/3 of the bike in awful stomach pain. Legs felt good, probably b/c I went so darn slow. Stopped on the side of the road twice to pee.

Follow my nutrition plan (that is if I had all my food, since I left 1/2 of it in transition in my long sleve shirt), pee as soon as I need to, don't cramp up!!!
Transition 2
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

At this point my stomach just hurt & I was barely moving. Legs felt fine, stomach hurt. Oh yeah and I realized I hadn't gotten all the vaseline off from the swim and I was burning - bad. No sunscreen. Race prep?

?????
Run
  • 2h 18m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

So, this was a total surprise. I was sure if I could endure the bike I was golden for the run. Ha! I began the run by cursing in front of my kids about my stomach pain, proud mom moment. I had to walk before the first aid station - I didn't practice any run walking. That was bad. I mostly ran b/t aid stations but it was slow and it hurt. I tried to have h20 at each station b/c I could tell I was way overheated. I wasn't able to drink for the end of the bike b.c of stomach pain, the dehydration set in. Had to stop and pee (how since I wasn't drinking anymore!!). No nutrition to speak of b/c my stomach was upset. Skin burning, legs hurting, stomach cramping, heat exaustion setting in. I finished, that's about it.

1. wear sunscreen
2. take along my own hydration, I felt like I had to try to chug water at the aid station, didn't sit well
3. train to run/walk
4. improve my attitude - I had two legs and an able body
Post race
Warm down:

Nausia, dizzyness - eating a snickers bar did not help!!! mostly prayed I wouldn't pass out or throw up. Laid down for a while. By about 5 I felt better and was HUNGRY!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Didn't follow my nutrition plan was the BIGGIE! Didn't get to trin in the heat, wasn't ready for it.

Event comments:

Report sounds misearble but I FINISHED - so it was a success. I learned A LOT for our IMKY training and am ready to start tommorow with our 18 week count down for IMKY!!

Last updated: 2007-02-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:25 | 1500 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/68
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Wetsuit
Course: 2 loop course
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 53F / 12C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:42
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:21:36 | 55 miles | 16.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/16
Overall: 40/68
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Very nice course, minus the traffic! Liked the few little rollers and loved the scenery - hated the traffic!!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:09
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
02:18:09 | 13.1 miles | 10m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/16
Overall: 32/68
Performance: Bad
Course: A few little hills, overall pretty flat.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-22 9:07 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Virginia Triathlon Series - Race #3 Kinetic Half

2007-04-23 10:58 AM
in reply to: #772202

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: RE: Virginia Triathlon Series - Race #3 Kinetic Half

Kati,

Nice job finishing in tough conditions. You went from freezing to really hot in just a few hours.

You are the third person that has mentioned stomach problems from this race. I wonder if the lack of opportunity to train in the heat had something to do with it. Or could there have been something in the lake water? Not sure if we will really ever know.

That is awesome that you pulled it together and finished. And a great attitude about using it as a learning experience for IMKY.

2007-04-24 9:46 AM
in reply to: #772202

User image

Elite
Reston VA
Subject: RE: Virginia Triathlon Series - Race #3 Kinetic Half

Great race! It was a tough day for many out there!

I laughed about camping in T1! The results were interesting. Plenty of people were there for up to 11 minutes!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Virginia Triathlon Series - Race #3 Kinetic Half Rss Feed