General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3 months until IMLP Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-22 10:37 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: 3 months until IMLP

So it's 3 months away.  How's training going for everyone? 

My swim is great, though my stroke needs work (I'm fast- I hope to finish the swim in 1:09:59 or less- this is motivating me to swim and to work on my stroke by setting a goal like that- but stroke mechanics never were a strong point as I only learned to swim when I joined my high school's swim team).  The run is going well- I got my half marathon PR down to a number that had been my goal for the year.

Then there's that sport in the middle.  The bike is by far my weakest and the cutoff could be a concern (further motivation to actually bike more).  I'm not the best climber (hey I live right by the ocean ) but recently I've been absolutely freaking out on the downhills (I fell going downhill on a wet road in January).  It's gotten a lot better the last 2-3 weeks, but 15 mph still feels far too fast going downhill (though it feels slow at times on flat land).  At least I am willing to go down the bigger ones around here that are safe to ride now, but those 35+ mph I keep hearing to expect going down to Keene concern me.  I've got to be about the only racer to expect to not gain time going downhill during the bike part.  It's almost all about the bike until taper time I guess for me. 

2007-04-23 7:57 AM
in reply to: #772276

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: 3 months until IMLP
I'm keeping track of the IMLP countdown only so that I can get ready to sign up for 2008.  Good luck everyone.
2007-04-23 1:54 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Yep.   Inside of 90 days now.  Time flies.

Training is going steady right now.  I'm also just under a month away from my first tri this season--the EnduraSport New York HIM at Harriman.  Pretty interested to see how I can handle a tough course that should require a lot of the patience and pacing needed at LP.

The HIM also marks "game on" for LP prep for me.  Up until now, the bike has been limited to 2-3 hours at a time (has worked well, especially since weather hasn't been great until this past weekend).  After Harriman comes the LP-specific build, including 2 112/6 race rehersal bricks--one of which will be on the LP course.  And some longer swims & runs over that stretch as well.

I feel pretty well prepared at this stage, though I'm going to start focusing more intently on my nutrition to make sure I can keep it up for over 6 hours and do any necessary fine-tuning.

Trying to stay focused on Harriman for now, but the excitement for LP is beginning to build a little as well.

2007-04-23 2:27 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Thanks for posting this little reminder

Training for me is going great. Although I only registered for the race a couple of weeks ago, I have been preparing for it for a while.

Did my 1st Long Brick on Saturday (100 Mile Ride/5 Mile Run) and it went very well.

Am now tapering for the Wildflower Long Course (HIM Distance) in 2 weeks and after a bit of rest, will finish off my training for LP.

My plan is to get my long runs in early in the week and my long bricks done either Fridays or Saturdays. (Will try to do 4 of each in Late May and June) Am planning on a 3 week taper for the race. Also have some good Fast Finish Medium/Long Runs in the schedule as well as some great middle distance rides.

Have been doing quite a bit of Rough Water Swimming in the ocean and plan on keeping that up through the rest of the cycle.

Am getting amped up for the race

Edited by WaterDog66 2007-04-23 2:28 PM
2007-04-23 3:30 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
oceanannie - 2007-04-22 10:37 PM

So it's 3 months away.  How's training going for everyone? 

My swim is great, though my stroke needs work (I'm fast- I hope to finish the swim in 1:09:59 or less- this is motivating me to swim and to work on my stroke by setting a goal like that- but stroke mechanics never were a strong point as I only learned to swim when I joined my high school's swim team).  The run is going well- I got my half marathon PR down to a number that had been my goal for the year.

Then there's that sport in the middle.  The bike is by far my weakest and the cutoff could be a concern (further motivation to actually bike more).  I'm not the best climber (hey I live right by the ocean ) but recently I've been absolutely freaking out on the downhills (I fell going downhill on a wet road in January).  It's gotten a lot better the last 2-3 weeks, but 15 mph still feels far too fast going downhill (though it feels slow at times on flat land).  At least I am willing to go down the bigger ones around here that are safe to ride now, but those 35+ mph I keep hearing to expect going down to Keene concern me.  I've got to be about the only racer to expect to not gain time going downhill during the bike part.  It's almost all about the bike until taper time I guess for me. 

Join us at the LP training camp on June! you'll ride the course and go the Keane downhill at least 3 times to help you get your nerves on check. Last year I reached 50+ mph, and yes it is a bit hairy at first but then it is fun and as you mentioned you don't want to miss all that free speed on race day
2007-04-23 10:02 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Training's going well for me - I think

Swimming's not a problem, although I'm not as fast as you

My long run is around 2hr 30 + now so hopefully that's on schedule
My long bike goes up to 4hours this week (longest I have ever cycled) so hopefully that on track too. I have complete faith in my trainer and I just follow the schedule

We have a group training camp at LP at the end of May so I will get to see (and ride and run ) the course which I am very excited about

Jackie

2007-04-24 6:03 AM
in reply to: #773895

South Carolina

Going well & still keeping it simple: Stay Healthy & Eat Healthy, Train Smart & Consistent, Go Long! 

I am running a marathon this weekend with my wife, then it's some short recovery and on to the final push toward IMLP.  My biking will get longer with several 100+ days followed by 6-8 mile runs.  I believe my swim is pretty close to where I want it, but it never hurts to try to get the HR lower coming out of the water.  Finally, I have a sprint and HIM on the schedule before IMLP.  Should be a FUN 90 days!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3 months until IMLP Rss Feed